Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CM1946
    • Oct 2008

cm1946

So many of the PIDS use abbreviations and on so many of these i dont know what they are.I dont know if i'm the only one with this problem but it seems to me that theirs plenty of room to spell out the whole description of the pid instead of abbreviated version,just a thought,wonder what other techs think,Thanks
  • Orevin
    • Aug 2010

The abbreviations are often used on the factory scan tool and are referred to as such in service information. There is some help though. If you take a look at the vehicle communication manuals here:

you will find explanations for many pids on the scan tool. Here is an example:

7-24-2012 7-57-12 PM.jpg

Btw, these manuals are loaded on the Verus and Verdict.
    -Kai-
    Chicago, IL

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by CM1946
      So many of the PIDS use abbreviations and on so many of these i dont know what they are.I dont know if i'm the only one with this problem but it seems to me that theirs plenty of room to spell out the whole description of the pid instead of abbreviated version,just a thought,wonder what other techs think,Thanks
      I'm glad you brought this up. This is and has been one of my pet peeves.
      If they are going to abbreviate everything, they might as well write it in a foreign language. Either way, you have to stop what you are doing and
      look it up, whereas if it was spelled out right there, you could concentrate on the problem at hand instead of wasting time looking for an interpretation. Time wasted = frustration = income lost, which in turn can't be spent on diagnostic equipment if we don't have it.
      With the available room on the tools, they could write it in the factory
      abbreviated form AND spell it out for those of us not as familiar with what we are working on. If you only service one brand of car like the dealers, one has the opportunity to learn and memorize these. Not so for those who service multiple car lines, which I would like to point out is Snap On's MAIN MARKET. I believe they did a better job of this in the "brick" days. We really do need some help here, guys.
      Can you do it???
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• GM guy
        • Dec 2006

pid names

Now that Snap-on is no longer limited to 4X45 display, they are now using full length pid names now. They can even use 2 rows if needed. The old pids
        will most likely stay that way unless they go back & clean them up.
        HTH

Comment

Working...