X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • user00293
    • Dec 2014

Blue-Point Microscan III Live Data

Hello,

I recently purchased a Blue-Point Microscan III and wondering about it's behavior when I have chosen to display live data.

Loading live data is very slow, much slower than an earlier version of an Innova 3140 purchased new years ago. That would display live data in a matter of seconds. Also response times of live data seems to be slower than the Innova, such a when increasing / decreasing rpms, etc.

While in Live Data Mode once I was able to cusomize the display to dislay selected live data items. However when I went back into live data the custom screen was't save and I haven't yet been able to find a save menu for a custom live data screen as when in live data mode everything slows way done and the touch screen stops responding.

I'm currently testing it with an older 98 Jeep that i use to use the Innova scanner with (until the lcd stopped working) I'm wonder perhaps if the Microscan III is having difficulty communicating with 98 OBD2 Jeep's PCM?

The 98 Jeep lacks many of OBD2 scanner functions such as reading the VIN, O2 sensor tests, etc. I don't believe any of the Info functions work at all. However there are approx. a half dozen of what appear to be Mode 6 pids (Test results for continuously and non-continuously monitored systems)

There doesn't appear to be any setup for particular vehicles as with my Snap-on MT-2500 which prompt me for a VIN letter to designate a Vin type and displays other vehicle information.

The MT-2500 which I have used for some time I remember being very compatible and fast when connected to my 98 OBD2 Jeep. Live data was read and presented much faster compared to Microscan III.

I'll test the Microscan III some more. The scan protocol is set to auto. Perhaps something needs to be configured or reset? I'll also try on another newer OBD2 vehicle to determine if it has the same results.

If it continues with this same sort of behavior most likely will be returning it.
    Last edited by user00293; 07-10-2018, 01:00 AM.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Maybe when you install Shop Stream Connect you have to type in and enter your Snap On device that it should seek when the program is opened and the device is plugged into the PC USB port? Some tools I think need the recordings saved to a USB thumb drive or SD card , then plugged into the PC

Comment

• user00293
      • Dec 2014

Ok, I'll take a look. The installation instructions are for Microscan but not specifically for Microscan III.

However I'm more worried about it's behavior when placed in live data mode. The Microscan III seems very slow loading live data and sometimes when I was trying to create a custom view became stuck with no response from the touch screen. I remember a couple of times needing to uplug and re-plug the obd2 connector.

There are various functions for live data mode, such as a custom display screen, however I haven't yet found any provision to save selected live data. By default all live data pids are selected.

I'll connect again today to observe it's behavior more closely and take a closer look to familiarize myself with the meaning of the different icons. The scanner uses icons vs written menu items.

More modern scanner it seems one doesn't need to configure them with vehicle specifics. I remember only being promoted for a manufacture such as Jeep - Chrysler - ????? I don't believe this scanner actually knows and stores which manufacture, model vehicle ,engine, etc it's connected to. It only reads the obd2 data pids and displays live data.

The MT2500 when connected to the 98 Jeep has more of vehicle specifics selections such as for the VIN number type, vehicle make, model, engine, etc. I'm wondering if the Microscan III requires it be able to read the VIN to obtain more details about a vehicle it's connected to?

My 98 Jeep lacks many of the "Info" functions such as being able to read the VIN, etc.

I don't think this year Jeep has any test such as for the o2 sensors. From my previous Innova scanner I remember Mode 6 functions where one can find non-continuous tests results.

Currently I have protocol selection set to "Auto". Today when I go out to test again I'll manually select ISO 9141 which is what I believe the scanner should be set to for a Chrysler Jeep.

ISO 9141-1 & 9141-2 - Chrysler vehicles, as well as European and Asian
      ISO 15765-4 CAN (SAE J2480) - used in a variety of vehicles that aren’t subject to the OBD2 standard by law.
      ISO14230-4 (KWP2000) - Asian cars
      SAE J1850 PWM - Ford
      SAE J1850 VPW - GM

From what I remember reading there's two different types of an OBD2 1962 connector.

Type A

Type B

One can determine which protocol a vehicle uses by looking at which pins are used.

All cars produced after 2008 have more advanced computers that require the CAN protocol and will have similar pin configurations (4, 5, 6, 15, 16). Cars produced before then have a bit more variance with which pins are used.

OBD2 connector

TOP:

Pin 1: Reserved for OEM COMM
      Pin 2: This is where your J1850 Bus+ is located
      Pin 3: OEM Reserved
      Pin 4: This is just a car chassis ground
      Pin 5: Similarly, this pin holds a sensor signal ground
      Pin 6: OEM COMM. Here’s your CAN high pin (J-2284). Most modern cars (2008+) will have this pin and a set of other pins, including pins 4, 5, 6, 15, and 16.
      Pin 7: This is your ISO 9141-2 K line
      Pin 8: OEM Reserved

BOTTOM:

Pin 9: OEM COMM
      Pin 10: Here’s your J1850 Bus- (negative) (note the location relative to pin 2)
      Pin 11, 12, 13, 14 OEM Reserved
      Pin 15: ISO 9141-2 L-line. This is right below the matching K line.
      Pin 16: Unswitched Battery Power. This powers your scan tool.
      Last edited by user00293; 07-10-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...