• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Green
    • Oct 2009

Snap On EEBC500-INT Battery Charger

Hi Guys,

Didn't want to gate crash snapon 20r thread

Reading through the other thread has given me doubts about the quality of this battery charger, and am now wondering if this charger will fail after the first 12 months?

I was going to trade in my old 6, 12, 24V snap on charger that I bought some 14 years ago, which has a 700 amp boost on 24V fast start, and this new stuff has reduced that down to 300 amp on 24V.

Anyway the reason I started the thread was to ask if anyone can shed some light on this new chargers Alternator % charge rate and if I am understanding it correctly, have I detected a fault that normally could be missed?

In the Snap On Battery Charger Plus Booklet, advice is provided about alternator performance checks.

The book advises to set display to ALT% mode. With engine running, the digital display will indicate approximate alternator/battery voltage as percentage of normal (100% normal), if the percentage is low or high, a problem is indicated. The book then says use an alternator tester for further diagnosis.

Lets say a typical alternator output is 14.4V, and at this voltage the ALT % = 100%.

Now lets say that the alternator output drops to 25%, this would equate to 3.6V, so this low alternator output voltage could go unseen if the battery voltage were higher, i.e. 12V

Now assuming the electrical system is ok. I set the charger up to measure ALT% and ran the engine of a 12V system which indicated that 14.3V was being provided by the alternator, the percentage was 100% at this voltage, then I put on the main beam, the heated rear screen, the heater blower motor and watched the digital display of the battery charger.

The voltage dropped to about 13.5V, the amps measured from the rear of the alternator were approximately 70A using an amp meter held over the main battery cable at the rear of the alternator.

I switched the charger back to ALT% and slowly watched the 100% decline to between 25 to 0% intermittently, but when I switched back to voltage I always had 13.5V at 2500 RPM.

Am I reading into this too much or am I seeing a fault that could normally be missed?

The customer says that his battery goes flat over a 7 - 14 days period, yet I cannot find anything other than above to substantiate his claim?

Any advice much appreciated.
Working...