Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

2014 F150 OEM trailer brake controller

Has anyone installed an OEM trailer brake controller into a 2014 F150. The vehicle did not come equipped with one but was set up for it with all the necessary wiring. One of the requirements after installation is a parameter set up of the instrument cluster. I did not see this option listed in FMP and didn't go so far as reflashing the IC. I sent the cutomer to the dealer for the setup. Did I miss something in the FMP menu or should I have continued with a reflash of the IC ? The procedure is in the PDFs below.
    Attached Files
  • STURNER
    • Oct 2014

I had a post about this in the reprogramming threads. Was told I would need IDS.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Thanks for the reply. I should have done a search first before posting I guess. I had to add a key to the vehicle as well, so I looked around the menu for any thing with the trailer brake controller and did not see any thing. The controller its self I think is pre programmed, it communicates with the scanner with a full data list and everything, just some communication codes between it and the IC and it's not enabled. The cluster needs to be setup to see talk to the brake controller the way I read it.

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Yes it has to be flashed with VCMII in order to work.
        For anyone installing an aftermarket trailer brake controller,the wiring connector is behind the panel where the factory controller would go. Service information shows the connector under the IP below the steering column...it's not there.

Comment

• ttrain0331
          • Oct 2013

Ford Trailer brake controller

Yes, the usage of the IDS(VCMII) is what I use. Had no problems. If using the motorcrafttechservice for programming and using a J2534 device, it may have some defaults that is not available to aftermarket use??. I have IDS system and it has it all.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!" Wayne Gretzky NHL hall of famer

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Customer's avoiding Stealerships

Nice to to have a good arsenal of programming tools at your disposal. I don';t do programming yet , but If I only had something like a Maxi F Pro J2534 VCI, I wouldn't risk messing with a customer's 2014 vehicle that is still likely within his bumper to bumper warranty, because he is too cheap to get the trailer brake module done by a Ford Dealer. If the programming don't take , and then it has to go to the Stealership, if something actually did go wrong. The customer is going to be hit much harder on the $ level and possibly blame you for a voided warranty of an electrical component due to being told there was consequential damage to module and the dealer Kleptomaniac tech will say it needs a new such n such module a blank $ replaced to start with ,then likely he keep the original non unwarrantable part and have another possible good part to add to his stack of sh@t under his bench ,that he can try someday on something else if there is money to be made. LMFAO

Comment

Working...