Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Endless Boot Loop after windows update

Well yesterday I used my Verus Edge 17.4 to scan a Pontiac with no issues. Shut it down and noticed a message not to disconnect power as widows was performing an update. Said 1 update to install. So I left the unit on the docking station and it eventually seemed to shut down. Ten minutes max. This morning turned it on. Windows loads then the verus software suite starts to load. Get to about 20% and then shuts down and restarts. I get the "windows was not shut down properly" and the option to boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking etc. Of course you can't choose these unless you connect a keyboard. If you wait the 30 seconds windows boots again and the whole process repeats over and over. I tried to boot in safe mode with the keyboard attached. No difference, pulled the battery and no change. Called tech support and they tell me I must reimage the tool. Of course I'm going to loose all my files, third party software etc.

Couple questions? What is the keyboard key to press to access the bios and is it password protected. What is the password. If I could boot from an external drive I'm sure I could recover my files before restoring. Tech support says they don't know the password of course.
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

Scared me. I noticed mine having an update last night upon shutdown too. As soon as I read this I went and fired it up. Mine is OK. Sorry I'm no help at all but you can bet I'll be paying close attention to this thread.
    I've had to reimage my Verdict once or twice due to loading some updated drivers that disagreed with the system. I'd surely not want to do that to my Verus because I also have a lot of other stuff on there. A good time for me to think about making backups I expect.

Comment

• Bpilon
      • Oct 2017

Wow Ive only had my Verus Edge for about a month... this shhhttt is scaring me... to high dollar of a unit to be reading these issues. I hope everything works out okay phill. I've always been alittle scared on most windows based updates just because I've had bad luck on stuff like that.

Comment

• GypsyR
        • Jul 2017

Actually I've had very good luck with my Verus Edge and like it very much. More than a few issues with the Verdict but it keeps going. The new Zeus is spending a disturbing amount of time being unusable. King of speed and reliability is the Solus Edge though, nothing short of a hammer seems to faze it.

Comment

• Bpilon
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by GypsyR
          Actually I've had very good luck with my Verus Edge and like it very much. More than a few issues with the Verdict but it keeps going. The new Zeus is spending a disturbing amount of time being unusable. King of speed and reliability is the Solus Edge though, nothing short of a hammer seems to faze it.
          Same here. And Yes reliability is all I’m asking/paying for. Good point.

Comment

• tech25
            • Oct 2017

hello, i recently updated my windows 7 laptop and had the exact same issue.
            the problem was in the update. there is no reason to go into the bios, however..what fixed it for me was to start the computer in safe mode. this will only load the basic drivers and hopefully will prevent it from rebooting.

try attaching a USB keyboard and when the verus is powered on keep hitting the F8 button to enter safe mode.

from this safe mode go to a system restore point.

---start menu, all programs, accessories, system tools, restore point---

hopefully before the update was done, windows created a restore point. or a earlier one. click on the latest restore point and restore.

should work hopefully.

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

Update and no joy yet

Just a little update on what I have tried to do so far.

Pressing the ESC key during a boot for several seconds accesses the BIOS. It is password protected but it appears to be the same as the old Verus 323 password which someone was asking about in another thread. The password might be in that other thread. Opened the BIOS to see if the Boot order can be changed and it turns out that it is set to boot first off a USB Key, 2'nd USB Floppy, 3'rd USB CD/DVD, 4'th USB Hard Disk, 5'th Internal Hard Disk. So you really don't need to change anything to get it to boot from an external USB device as long as the device has an bootable image for the BIOS to read. A normal memory stick with files or an external CD/DVD would not have a boot image on it so it would normally be ignored during the startup. So great now to download a WIN 7 repair disc or recovery disc. Microsoft was no help as the windows product key which appears to be on a small tag under the battery does not work, probably because its and embedded version of windows 7. Searched the internet and found a site called Tenorshare.net http://www.tenorshare.net/products/w...ot-genius.html and they have a recovery program that is supposed to work and looks promising. I downloaded and installed it, then created a bootable USB. Plugged it into the docking station and the unit will boot to a windows desktop screen but my usb keyboard and usb mouse will not work as the program does not appear to load the necessary drivers. Of course the touchscreen won't work either. Good news is the Verus does not shut down with this desktop running so I strongly believe it's a software glitch caused by that last window update. I haven't given up yet. I tried to boot using an old Verus Pro backup hard drive that I had but there must be some kind of security on it that prevents it from loading. Starts to boot XP and then get BSOD and error log and then reboots over and over.

If and when I get this thing fixed, whatever it ends up taking I'm going to find something like Acronis True Image that can copy the contents of the hard drive and make a complete backup of it on a regular basis. I believe Wheel or Witsend said in another thread they were doing that.

I'll keep you posted....

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
                Just a little update on what I have tried to do so far.

Pressing the ESC key during a boot for several seconds accesses the BIOS. It is password protected but it appears to be the same as the old Verus 323 password which someone was asking about in another thread. The password might be in that other thread. Opened the BIOS to see if the Boot order can be changed and it turns out that it is set to boot first off a USB Key, 2'nd USB Floppy, 3'rd USB CD/DVD, 4'th USB Hard Disk, 5'th Internal Hard Disk. So you really don't need to change anything to get it to boot from an external USB device as long as the device has an bootable image for the BIOS to read. A normal memory stick with files or an external CD/DVD would not have a boot image on it so it would normally be ignored during the startup. So great now to download a WIN 7 repair disc or recovery disc. Microsoft was no help as the windows product key which appears to be on a small tag under the battery does not work, probably because its and embedded version of windows 7. Searched the internet and found a site called Tenorshare.net http://www.tenorshare.net/products/w...ot-genius.html and they have a recovery program that is supposed to work and looks promising. I downloaded and installed it, then created a bootable USB. Plugged it into the docking station and the unit will boot to a windows desktop screen but my usb keyboard and usb mouse will not work as the program does not appear to load the necessary drivers. Of course the touchscreen won't work either. Good news is the Verus does not shut down with this desktop running so I strongly believe it's a software glitch caused by that last window update. I haven't given up yet. I tried to boot using an old Verus Pro backup hard drive that I had but there must be some kind of security on it that prevents it from loading. Starts to boot XP and then get BSOD and error log and then reboots over and over.

If and when I get this thing fixed, whatever it ends up taking I'm going to find something like Acronis True Image that can copy the contents of the hard drive and make a complete backup of it on a regular basis. I believe Wheel or Witsend said in another thread they were doing that.

I'll keep you posted....
                I bought a 2 tb Seagate usb3 drive for the exclusive purpose of backing up my diagnostic tools. I use the Seagate version of Acronis with it, made a bootable partition on it (Fat or Fat32) to install and use the boot disk software from the Acronis software (which you can do for free because you are using a Seagate drive) . With this you can easily back up or restore the drive on the Edge or Zeus without having to remove the drive. You should have the option of restoring your entire drive or just the main partition. I think in most cases you should just restore the main partition and leave the others alone.

I had to do just this for our Verus Edge at work when a co-worker accidentally re-imaged
                the drive before he knew it , which lost all our 3rd party programs and saved files - many hours of work to restore plus irretrievable information if it hadn't been for me previously making a backup with this software and hard drive. About 20 - 30 minutes or so, things were back to normal.

Note to Snap On: It is entirely too easy to re-image the drive on an Edge or Zeus, especially when one of these is in less experienced hands, resulting in just the type of disaster experienced here. In this case it was done accidentally and no way to stop the process once started. It was safer when it required a keyboard such as on older units.

Another thing I might recommend is downloading an iso image of puppy linux or linux mint
                and burning this to a usb stick. With this and a second stick or usb drive, a usb hub, and one of those combination keyboard / mousepad wireless units available at Walmart, you can pull anything you want off your verus before reimaging it if you choose that route instead.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sbreland73
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by phill57
                  I tried to boot using an old Verus Pro backup hard drive that I had but there must be some kind of security on it that prevents it from loading. Starts to boot XP and then get BSOD and error log and then reboots over and over.
                  This is due to Windows attempting to load on dissimilar hardware (different than when installed), it can be corrected but you would have to delete a few files first.
                  S. Breland

Comment

• phill57
                    • Oct 2007

Progress

Well I experimented with the different Boot options available by tapping the F8 key during a normal boot. Booting in Safe, Safe with networking etc did not work but the Boot with Debugging allowed the unit to start and has been running all day. I backed up my files and made a backup of the drive. Looked at installed updates and noted the last windows update which I believed caused the issue was "2018-04 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Embedded Standard 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4093118)"
                    Installation date: ‎4/‎10/‎2018 9:29 PM
                    Installation status: Successful
                    Update type: Important
                    A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
                    Learn more about update KB4093118, including improvements and fixes, any known issues, and how to get the update.

Help and Support:
                    Learn more about update KB4093118, including improvements and fixes, any known issues, and how to get the update.

I'm Going to try to uninstall this and reboot.

Does anybody know what Debugging does and that particular boot option?

Comment

• phill57
                      • Oct 2007

Success!!

I uninstalled that last windows update, see above and the system boots fine now. Oh and I turned off updates for now. Maybe when I have some free time I'll try updating again but first I'm going to set up a backup plan for sure.

Comment

Working...