What test or features would you like to see added to you Snap On Diagnostic tools

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

For todays installment
    2011 GMC Yukon Denali, hit in the rear end. The blind spot indicators on the outside mirrors stay lit. It has side object detection sensors in the rear bumper cover. The power ground and serial data wires and voltages check out but Snap ON does not support the side object sensors for any communication. The sensors are near $500 each. You hate to guess on this one.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

4th day

2011 F150 and the head lights are inoperative. The headlight switch is connected to the Steering Column Control Module. The SCCM then sends a message over the data line to the Body Control Module declaring the inputs from Head Light switch to determine correct head light and fog lamp commands. The BCM then supplies the power to the Head Lamps and Fog Lamps. Snap ON does not support communication with the SCCM on this vehicle which makes it much more difficult to diagnose where the headlight command is getting lost or corrupted.
      Last edited by greasybob; 12-19-2015, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Day 5

After installing a new BCM on the older Impala's (2000 to 2005)and other GM similar platform vehicles you will have to go through a set up procedure to activate various options as well as entering some of the VIN digits. Something to consider adding as BCM failures are quite common.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

Day 6

Key FOB programming for older Chrysler products that had a FOB separate from the KEY, most 06 and older models. You could add a FOB if you still had a functioning FOB but you cannot learn a new one by it's self .

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Great Info Bob!!!

It's nice to know what else Is not currently covered.

I know Snap On is listening as they have added some of the very Specific things we has a group have asked for.

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

Day 7

2013 F150 Complaint of intermittent ABS/traction control light. Found code C116A in history. The code sets if the input from the brake position switch does not match the input from the brake fluid pressure transducer. Part of the diagnostic procedure is to monitor the PID for brake pressure. I could not find this PID in the Snap ON software.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

single fused DVOM port and pid on all Snappy Scanners (revisted)

I recall my ancient Chrysler DRBII had a single DVOM test probe port for DVOM pinpoint testing.
                Why not be able to select on any custom pid selection , a single pid displayed in volts , then select DVOM pid , the scanner automatically sets the DVOM pid scale to the same volts and time range of the custom pid selected, you back probe the appropriate sensor connector terminal with a T-Pin and you select graph merge and you can overlay graph between what the pcm is seeing and what you read at the sensor terminal.
                Probably add about only about $50 to the cost of a scanner and eliminate the need for scoping in many cases. One Single DVOM wire probe jack with a Mini ATO fuse or circuit breaker next to the probe jack on scanner body. You can tell em that RudeJoff the Red Nosed ReinDear put it in the suggestion box before. Merry Christmas in advance allM

Last edited by Witsend; 12-22-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

Day 8

It was mentioned before in another thread but worth repeating . After installing and flashing an OEM trailer brake controller on the newer Fords, 11 and newer I think. You still have to do a configure process for the Instrument Cluster.

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

Sorry had to cut the 12 days a little short. You know what I miss ? Back when you can dial in a DTC on the GMs and the scanner would tell you if that DTC had been run or whether it had passed or failed. You can sort of do this now and check to see a list of DTCs that haven't been run or failed, but it's not quit as easy to a particular DTC.

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

Added to the list:

Just had a 2013 RAM 1500 with the 4X4 inoperative. I found the switch on the dash to be faulty. The problem with diagnosing this was that I couldn't find anywhere in the data list of the BCM or the Drivetrain Control Module the switch input information. The schematic shows the switch being on a LIN data line with the BCM.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

Sorry, I must have save two data lists from the Drivetrain Control Module and not one from the BCM. I'll see if I can get one tomorrow. I looked in the BCM, ECM, TCM and drivetrain Control Modules for a switch position PID but could find none.

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

Had a 2011 F150 with a rock hard brake pedal after the vehicle had sat for a while. Found code P258B in the ABS module. The code is for the Brake vacuum pump. The diagnostic for this code is to activate the pump with the scanner and monitor the pressure/vacuum at the booster. Currently I could find no functional test for the vacuum pump or pid for the pressure. Using Verus Edge with 15.4. I powered the pump by bypassing the relay and found the pump locked up. Ford has an extended warranty on the pump from what I could find. Only the 2011 and 2012 Eco Boosts have the vacuum pump, but the functional test and data would still be valuable.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• David Vasha
                            • Apr 2016

Key programming for more makes and models would be very helpful.

Comment

• Wheel
                              • Jul 2007

I know this is beating a dead horse in the ground, but I will try again:

On the Verus I would like the option of viewing the LIVE data with ALL the options
                              that Shopstream Connect gives you - the way 10.2 once did.
                              Last edited by Wheel; 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM.
                              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• greasybob
                                • May 2008

I think that horse has decomposed.

Interesting concept though. Instead of ten different platforms (scanners). One scanner with different (optional) viewing formats.

Comment

Working...