Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm43130
    • Apr 2008

Reflash used gm ecm/tcm

Just tried to reflash and change VIN in a used ECM for 2010 Malibu, and GM SPS wouldn't let me change VIN. I did notice SPS now calls it ECM/TCM flash sequence now. I did read on drewtech and it said GM will only allow a reflash to VIN in used ecm, but will let you write a VIN and mileage to a clean ecm. Has anyone ran into this. I used to rewrite VIN in used ECM's.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Was the flash successful ? Just the VIN that didn't change ?

Comment

• jm43130
      • Apr 2008

It stopped with a box that said skip ecm, skip tcm, ok. When you click ok, it starts over. So i don't know. It wouldn't try to download at all. When I say reflash, I was only trying to change VIN. . The flash files were the same in both ECM's because customer had managed to find a exact duplicate ecm, but VINs were different.

Comment

• diesel71
        • Feb 2008

I don't know this for sure, but don't you write the vin after the flash file has been downloaded?. if so maybe you could not skip and let it flash with the same file then be able to write the vin. not much help just a thought.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

With GM the VIN is usually rewritten as part of the flash. If you entered the correct VIN at the start of the vehicle identification process that is the VIN that will be in the ECM after the flash. If the correct software is already in the ECM a notification will come up saying "you are attempting to program with the same calibration, GM does not recommend this". Ignore this and do the flash and the VIN will change. Unless something has changed since I last installed a used ECM.

Comment

• jm43130
            • Apr 2008

I think you will find it has changed. I never ran into a popup box that said " Skip Ecm, Skip Tcm" and only option was to click OKAY. Then SPS goes to section where it says "Cancel, Use same Vin, Use new Vin. " and wants to start over. I tried both options to "Replace and reprogram ecm: and also to just "reprogram Ecm. Both had same results. Customer ordered new ecm from dealer, I'll try it this afternoon. And I'll try some more with used ecm. Another thing Greasybob, it never popped up box that said you are attempting to reprogram with same code. I have seen that before and went right on passed that. This doesn't seem to be the same problem.

Comment

• Ruston11
              • Feb 2015

used module

GM has put a stop to a lot of used modules, they have some sort of seed and key set up. I have a list around somewhere with the models affected. They allow you to program but the theft will have an error. I think by 2011 the entire line was included. i can get a copy of the documents if anyone needs. Hope this helps.....

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

I don' think that a 2010 Malibu is a global platform vehicle. My list shows the Malibu joining that group in 2013. it sounds mor like the whole menu process has changed. I haven't flashed a GM in a month or so. I'll have to check it out later. I always save screen shots of what I'm doing when programming, that way if some thing changes or something new comes up I can review it later.

Comment

• jm43130
                  • Apr 2008

Ruston11, I'd be interested in seeing that list, if you can find it. No 2010 Malibu is not global platform, you still use Tech2win to communicate. Also Tech2 can't be used to reflash after model year 2007.

Comment

• Ruston11
                    • Feb 2015

list

i found the list it is four pages i think. how would you like me to get it to you?
                    maybe i can text it to you? List shows what year they each model goes over to the new setup.LMK my number is 407 416 5397

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

By search of title on 1st page , Is it possible that the pages may already be view able from a web link that you can post for others ?

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

the list
                        Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

A link to the list of seed and key modules. http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/feb2010techlink.pdf

Comment

• abdiel
                            • Jul 2017

Hi

Originally posted by Ruston11
                            i found the list it is four pages i think. how would you like me to get it to you?
                            maybe i can text it to you? List shows what year they each model goes over to the new setup.LMK my number is 407 416 5397
                            Hello, can you send me de lit please?? my email is abdielayala9@gmail.com

im noob about programing reprograming for j2534, and i want to know about ramplece ecu with the same no. serial. Thank you !!

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

A link to the list of seed and key modules. http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/feb2010techlink.pdf
                              Seems like a site doesn't want anyone with out special privilege to see the list. Kind of enjoyed the illustration they posted. Makes me wanna play with photo shop and have the guy in the shorts at the black tie event have his Ding Dong in his hand and say S... on this Y'all.
                              Last edited by Witsend; 12-22-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...