Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djusc122
    • Feb 2016

6.0 powerstroke issues

Hey guys. I have an 03 6.0 that is super weak cold. Is not skipping. Everything i have checked appears to check good. Have replaced egr valve, icp, hpop, #7 injector for a skip. Any ideas.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Have you checked to see if the PCM has the latest updates. Fuel pressure to the injectors is good ?

Comment

• diesel71
      • Feb 2008

check fuel pressure at the test port, you need to see pressure that the injectors are getting. checking pressure anywhere else will give false pressure.
      check the ficm voltage you need 47-50 volts anything less will cause issues.
      check the icp regulator when cold they can stick/open and close slowly if worn or have old oil pumping threw them.
      check the vgt control solenoid when cold same thing worn or old thick oil will cause them to react slow.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by diesel71
        check fuel pressure at the test port, you need to see pressure that the injectors are getting. checking pressure anywhere else will give false pressure.
        check the ficm voltage you need 47-50 volts anything less will cause issues.
        check the icp regulator when cold they can stick/open and close slowly if worn or have old oil pumping threw them.
        check the vgt control solenoid when cold same thing worn or old thick oil will cause them to react slow.
        Every time you chime in I learn something about Diesel controls.
        I was hoping you'd pop in. Thank You.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Healthy batteries?

What's the cranking RPM cold? I found anything below 140 is the "straw that breaks the camels back" of a tired high pressure oil system. Geriatric 6.0L need every advantage they can get. I usually recommend a good dose of overnight block heater, new batteries, and powerservice fuel additive to my tight budget-high mileage diesel customers.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

What's the cranking RPM cold? I found anything below 140 is the "straw that breaks the camels back" of a tired high pressure oil system. Geriatric 6.0L need every advantage they can get. I usually recommend a good dose of overnight block heater, new batteries, and powerservice fuel additive to my tight budget-high mileage diesel customers.
            Good point, and if batteries seem weak , you might want to check voltage drop on the battery cables too when cranking.

Comment

• djusc122
              • Feb 2016

How would you check the turbo actuator. I have good oil pressure wouldnt that rule out an ipr. Ive also replaced the oil pump. Ive had 03 models give me bad oil pressure readings. I guess because of where the icp is located. Fuel pressure is 45. It does drop when i throttle it but i figured that was normal.

Comment

• djusc122
                • Feb 2016

I did pull the ipr and look at the screen which was fine.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

How reliable is Ford's 6.0 Powerstroke? Learn about common problems with the turbo, EGR cooler, oil cooler, HPOP, FICM, and more.

Diesel smoke DOESN'T make me horney in the morning

Comment

• diesel71
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by djusc122
                    How would you check the turbo actuator. I have good oil pressure wouldnt that rule out an ipr. Ive also replaced the oil pump. Ive had 03 models give me bad oil pressure readings. I guess because of where the icp is located. Fuel pressure is 45. It does drop when i throttle it but i figured that was normal.
                    with your scanner go to functional tests and select turbo test. this test controls the vgt actuator by commanding it open and closed. start at zero percent and command it to 85%, if its sticking when cold you will see it. your fuel pressure is low at 45psi, you need 52-62 psi. ford has a revised fuel pressure regulator kit to bump the pressure up or you can shim the regulator spring ether way that pressure is to low.

Comment

• Scott_65
                      • Mar 2012

Checking oil pressure is simple enough, compare actual ICP to desired. That should rule out IPR issues. I don't really think that fuel pressure would be causing it. I agree it's too low, but I've seen these trucks run, even fairly decently, at 10psi or less. Not good for the injectors, but not the point. The boost test is a good idea, maybe the vanes are sticking. Typically it will cause rough running, but might be worth adding 2 bottles of rev-x to a fresh oil change. Works wonders for stiction.

A good tip, if you guys are ever replacing a starter on a 6.0, use a 6.4 starter. It will spin much faster and alleviate some of the starting issues

Comment

• Scott_65
                        • Mar 2012

Also if a boost problem is suspected, check the EBP sensor and tube for exhaust flow. This sensor is the driving force for the PCM to know where to put the turbo vanes.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Think the EBP and MAP sensors should be around the same KOEO

Comment

• diesel71
                            • Feb 2008

Low fuel volume/pressure will cause damage to the injector in a very short period of time. Fuel provides a cushion for the amplifier piston within the injector. loss of this cushion will cause this piston to bottom out and eventually stick in the down position. this in turn will not allow the oil to escape before the next injection event. this will lead to breakage of the stator(the top part of the injector) retaining bolts and destroy the injector.
                            Both air in fuel and low volume/pressure will cause internal damage to the injectors fuel delivery components, pintle, nozzle and other parts that need fuel for lubrication.
                            Last edited by diesel71; 12-17-2016, 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• diesel71
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
                              Think the EBP and MAP sensors should be around the same KOEO
                              At koeo the map and baro sensors should be the same. the engine needs to be running to create ebp (exhaust back pressure)

Comment

Working...