Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toecutter81
    • Jun 2008

pinion factor

Have a 1998 dodge 3500 with manual trans and 5.9L V8. Just put a different gear ratio in it. In abs side of modis it lists the pinion factor for the speedometer. When I go in there it doesn't ask for gear ratio, but does give a tire count number. Does anyone know if I can recalibrate the speedometer with the modis or do I sent it to dodge ? If can be done with the modis, how ?
  • sdlindsey
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by toecutter81
    Have a 1998 dodge 3500 with manual trans and 5.9L V8. Just put a different gear ratio in it. In abs side of modis it lists the pinion factor for the speedometer. When I go in there it doesn't ask for gear ratio, but does give a tire count number. Does anyone know if I can recalibrate the speedometer with the modis or do I sent it to dodge ? If can be done with the modis, how ?
    I can't speak about this specific application, but in the past I've always been able to define tire size and axle ratio -- but it's always been options that came from the factory. I usually have to select what size tires are on it and what the axle ratio is.

I think you might run into trouble if you are installing tires and/or an axle ratio that didn't come with that vehicle from the factory.

Comment

• Nick
      • Oct 2006

I did a search and came up with this thread.

It may be of no help.

Last edited by EBI Webmaster; 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM.
      Mechanic-Instructor-Mobile Trouble Shooter

Autotechdiagnostics.com

Comment

• toecutter81
        • Jun 2008

So it looks like you can do about anything with tire size but not with gear ratio. It may be possible to enter a tire size to trick the abs module, however the boss said this owner is out of money and will take care of it later. THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS !

Comment

• Skip
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2008

The gear ratio isn't a factor on the trucks because the tone wheel is on the ring gear and after the reduction. The type of axle is for the number of teeth on the tone wheel. The tire size is neede for the circumference. The tool has a limited range of adjustment based on revolutions per mile. Measure the circumference of the tire and divide that by 63360 ( inches in a mile) to give you the number.
          Last edited by Skip; 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...