Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardwood
    • Oct 2008

Personality Key Charts

I thought it would be good to have a quick reference to know which keys are current, which are new, and which have been discontinued.

With 8.2/8.4 some changes have been made from 7.4 See the two charts attached to this post.

In a nutshell, here's the breakdown:

7.4 Key List:

Domestic/Asian:
    K2A, K5A, K7, K9, K12A, K13, K14, K15, K16, K17, K19, K20, K21, K22, K24, K25

(Chart does not show European key list but should be similar to the 8.2/8.4 list)

8.2/8.4 Key List:

Domestic/Asian:
    K3A, K7, K9, K12A, K13, K14, K15, K16, K17, K19, K20, K21, K22, K24, K25

European:
    S4, S7, S17, S20, S21, S27, S28, S33, S34, S44, S51

Changes from 7.4 to 8.4:

Discontinued keys K2A & K5A
    Added Key K3A

I will add additional information as it becomes available to me. Hope this helps you either complete your set of personality keys, or lets you know which ones you can "hand down" to a person with older software.

-Howard
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hardwood; 10-31-2008, 09:19 PM.
  • Hardwood
    • Oct 2008

MT2500 Key charts Pre-VCI

Here's a couple handy charts to let you know which keys are needed for the specific cartridge you have.

From the Snap-On website:

Personality Key Update Guide.
    Use the table below to determine which Personality Keys are needed based on the Primary Cartridge being used. The keys listed under each heading are the only keys necessary for that particular Primary Cartridge version. There is no need to order older keys for newer Primary Cartridge versions.
    Attached Files

Comment

• greenebox
      • May 2008

Excellent Post!!! Thank You!! I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post this!

Chris
      Vyxuz Voice is now in BETA testing! Visit http://forum.virtualxtender.com for more info!
      Unofficial Modis Add on Software and Customization Guru
      http://www.virtualxtender.com

Comment

• Automotivelover
        • Nov 2008

Hi

Nice post,
        Thanks, Please keep posting like this.
        Redding Toyota |
        Performance Parts |
        Redding Ford

Comment

• DavidOlds442
          • Oct 2007

Great post Hardwood. Thanks.

Comment

• jdmotors
            • Feb 2012

personality keys

hi, great posts. we in the uk use mainly s keys. has anyone got a chart for them.

Comment

• mrtweaver
              • Aug 2011

MT2500 key question

This might sound kind of dumb or lame but I was looking over the charts in this thread and have also been looking at some keys for the MT2500 on ebay.

The one thing I am questioning is, what is difference between key 12 and key 12A?

If you read the one posting above in this thread it shows key 12A no key 12, then if you read the one chart taken from Snapon web site it shows key 12 but nothing about it being superceded to 12A or anything like that.

Maybe 12 and 12A are the same, just dont know, that is why I am asking.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• chaskuss
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mrtweaver
                This might sound kind of dumb or lame but I was looking over the charts in this thread and have also been looking at some keys for the MT2500 on ebay.

The one thing I am questioning is, what is difference between key 12 and key 12A?

If you read the one posting above in this thread it shows key 12A no key 12, then if you read the one chart taken from Snapon web site it shows key 12 but nothing about it being superceded to 12A or anything like that.

Maybe 12 and 12A are the same, just dont know, that is why I am asking.

Thanks for the info.
                Since no one ever answered his question, I'll post it for the benefit of future readers of this thread. The K12 key was superseded by the K12A key. Basically Snap On had to modify the key, so that it would still work with later models of GM cars it was designed for [newer software]. I believe this happened with the release of the VCI [black programmable cartridges] starting with software covering the 2003 model year.
                So which key you would need depends of the software bundle that your scanner has.
                Last edited by chaskuss; 12-07-2014, 08:43 AM. Reason: Added last sentence

Comment

• chaskuss
                  • Dec 2009

Newest Key Chart as of 14.4

The chart below shows all the current keys and at what software bundle upgrade they were added.

Last edited by chaskuss; 12-07-2014, 08:52 AM. Reason: Cropped image to remove text area & increase image size

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Maybe someone should post A Sticky gone but not forgotten

Re the MT2500 , I've seen lots of redundant questions about personality keys and MT 2500 , maybe Super Moderator should go dig into the archives and pull out the best most informative posts, and just post them as Sticky's for the people with MT 2500s to refer to the latest and greatest black cartridge update coverage and in a nutshell list what it can and cannot do so folk don't get their hopes too high.

Comment

• chaskuss
                      • Dec 2009

Not so fast

Originally posted by Hardwood
                      snipped
                      Domestic/Asian:
                      K3A, K7, K9, K12A, K13, K14, K15, K16, K17, K19, K20, K21, K22, K24, K25

European:
                      S4, S7, S17, S20, S21, S27, S28, S33, S34, S44, S51

Changes from 7.4 to 8.4:

Discontinued keys K2A & K5A
                      Added Key K3A

snipped

-Howard
                      I would not be so fast to give away some of those keys. As of at least the 12.4 software bundle, the K2A & K5A keys were still included when you bought a new Modis [Solus & Solus Pro should be the same] They are also still shown as valid keys on the 14.4 Key Chart I posted above.
                      The S39 key was rendered obsolete as of 9.4. It's function is performed by S28 on 9.4 & later software.
                      I notice that the K3A key was added here, but does not show up in the 12.4, 13.4 or 14.4 key lists. It's shown as a Hyundai & Kia key. Anyone know what the status of the K3A key is?? Is it like the K4 key, which superseded the K1 key for a single year [1996]?

Comment

• chaskuss
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
                        Re the MT2500 , I've seen lots of redundant questions about personality keys and MT 2500 , maybe Super Moderator should go dig into the archives and pull out the best most informative posts, and just post them as Sticky's for the people with MT 2500s to refer to the latest and greatest black cartridge update coverage and in a nutshell list what it can and cannot do so folk don't get their hopes too high.
                        That's a good idea. However, these key charts are useful for most other Snap On products besides the MT2500. The MT2500 won't be using any of the keys which were added past software bundle 9.2 . I think you are confusing this thread with another that I just posted to. The other thread does focus on the MT2500.
                        If this thread is made a sticky, can it still be modified and added to? We certainly don't have all the keys & applications listed as of today.
                        Last edited by chaskuss; 12-07-2014, 10:57 AM. Reason: Added 4th & 5th sentences to 2nd paragraph

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

mt 2500 stickies section

I just think as so many professional mechanics have unloaded their old MT2500s already for cheap that a lot of regular guy auto enthusiasts, not automotive professionals are buying the retired scanners now and are asking questions about them on a professional forum that a dozen stickies placed in an archived section reserved to answering the most common questions that would likely be asked about the retired MT2500 scan tools by auto enthusiasts could be answered by simply reading the stickies.

Comment

• Ecomike
                            • May 2016

Key and software chart

Thanks for posting this chart, huge help. Now if it just showed what year they came out? What years they covered?

Originally posted by chaskuss
                            The chart below shows all the current keys and at what software bundle upgrade they were added.

Comment

• Ecomike
                              • May 2016

K-20 seems to have replaced the K-2A

The newer online chart shows that the K-20 also replaced the K-2A for US OBD-II vehicles, GM Ford Chry and Jeep. It is in a foot note and it shows the K-20 covers a host of things all in one key.

Comment

Working...