Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coreautomotivegroup
    • Sep 2013

Verus pro scope trouble

Our shop just got a used Verus Pro, with 12.4v l pretty much understand all of the interface but do need help with one thing.
    When I scope, whether live or play a recording, I need to be able to zoom in on a signal, but it seems that its not possible.
    For example, I pick a scale of 12v to monitor ECM power feed, and see a lot of noise in it, I would like to be able to zoom in on the noise, instead i only see fluctuations on scale of 1-20 on which even 1v drop is almost unnoticeable.

When I click the zoom icon which I thought would do what I need it just zooms out the time-base, so that I see the whole time-lapse.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Constantin.
  • coreautomotivegroup
    • Sep 2013

In other words, I am trying to find out if t here is a way to zoom in on a live or captured waveform, as you can in pico and some other scopes.

Thanks!

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by coreautomotivegroup
      In other words, I am trying to find out if t here is a way to zoom in on a live or captured waveform, as you can in pico and some other scopes.

Thanks!
      I don't know what the VERUS is using to display recordings but on my other SnapOn tools, I save recordings and then transfer the files to my PC and use SSC (ShopStream Connect). Besides, it's easier to see on a full size monitor compared to any of the tools.......even a VERUS doesn't have as big a screen as my monitors (although you're supposed to be able to connect one to your VERUS)
      Maybe some of the VERUS owners could chime in here. If OREVIN takes notice, he's probably the best one for this kind of guidance.

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Thanks!
        I think Pico and Automotive Test Solutions both have this feature.
        I may be willing to buy one or both to get this and other features.

The Verus cannot presently do this as you describe - might be something for Snap On to look into for the future, though.

The only workaround I know is to initially capture your data at a much faster timebase. You can zoom out but not in. Unfortunately, this makes for a shorter data capture. Only so much data is accumulated, then new data overwrites old data. I feel the size of these captures should only be limited by the size of your hard drive. Snap On would improve the usefulness of the scope a GREAT DEAL by addressing this.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• coreautomotivegroup
          • Sep 2013

wow, it had never even crossed my mind that I cannot zoom in on a captured waveform - WHAT IS THE POINT THEN?! you miss out on half the functionality of a good scope, you can really pick up a lot by zooming in on signals

Comment

• transporter
            • Jun 2012

...I have to check if that's the truth. I'd be very disappointed, if it is.

Comment

• No-Start
              • Oct 2006

wow, it had never even crossed my mind that I cannot zoom in on a captured waveform - WHAT IS THE POINT THEN?! you miss out on half the functionality of a good scope, you can really pick up a lot by zooming in on signals
              Not totally true.

Normally, you run in timebases that you can view the signal. There's really no need to "zoom in" further than that in most cases. The Snap On scope was designed to be able to record each and every screen with no gaps in it.

Functionally, it works fine as you would see an anomaly and be confident that when you freeze, you will save that anomaly.

If you want to "zoom in", then you can start at a faster timebase and zoom out once you stop the scope.

Most people out there have oversold the need for "zooming in". Except in some exceptional cases, there really isn't a need for it.

What the Snap On scope can benefit from it more ability to manipulate the waveform once the recording is saved.

No-Start.

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by No-Start
                Not totally true.

Normally, you run in timebases that you can view the signal. There's really no need to "zoom in" further than that in most cases. The Snap On scope was designed to be able to record each and every screen with no gaps in it.

Functionally, it works fine as you would see an anomaly and be confident that when you freeze, you will save that anomaly.

If you want to "zoom in", then you can start at a faster timebase and zoom out once you stop the scope.

Most people out there have oversold the need for "zooming in". Except
                in some exceptional cases, there really isn't a need for it.

I must disagree here. Many is the time when one is viewing an already
                captured waveform, and something unexpectedly catches the attention
                and closer scrutiny is called for. OOps, you can't - time to capture another waveform then, right? More time spent - not to mention the anomaly you wanted to see has now made itself scarce like all good little intermittents have been taught to - you don't always get a chance to capture that second waveform. Also, those times you want to evaluate your starter or fuel pump amps - zoomed out on both voltage and time, you can view the inrush current of these which is important information; then if you had a zoom in feature, in the case of the starter, there's your relative compression test already done, no need to waste the time taking a second waveform, and in the case of the fuel pump, you could zoom in and see the brush contact pattern and determine the total electrical health of the pump with just one capture.
                And this is not even discussing how this eases and enhances the usefulness of pressure transducers. Zoom in does have its place, and Snap On would be wise to learn how to incorporate it into an already great scope.

What the Snap On scope can benefit from it more ability to manipulate the waveform once the recording is saved.

Absolutely !!!

No-Start.
                Today's mechanic has the deck really stacked against him, and it will only get much worse. He needs all the help and features his chosen toolmaker can give him and then some.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• phill57
                  • Oct 2007

Zoom In

I agree with Wheel. There have been numerous times where the ability to zoom in would be very useful. The workaround as mentioned is to record at a faster frame rate and then you can zoom out. Problem with this as mentioned is the significantly shorter recorded time frame. If you capture data at a 20mS screen rate you have about 3 seconds to hit the pause button when you feel a glitch or you won't catch the data. Plus I noticed that the buffer fills and then starts over, not just continues to record and dump the old data from the beginning. It could be much better. I for one would use this capability but I would be happier to get back some of the lost capabilities from the 10.2 software. Yes I haven't forgotten but it sure seems that Snap-On has.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                    Snap-on D&I
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by phill57
                    Plus I noticed that the buffer fills and then starts over, not just continues to record and dump the old data from the beginning.
                    Regarding the buffering of captured data, it doesn't start over each time it fills.

The actual buffering of data works the same on All Verus units which is the same as it did on the Modis.
                    Data is captured until the buffer is full, then it remains full. For every new point added at the front end of the buffer, the oldest point at the back end is thrown away. The buffer will always contain the most recent data.

The way the buffer activity is represented on the screen between Verus and Modis is however different.

On Modis, the buffer bar fills from left to right. When the bar reaches the right side, it is full. The bar remains in this position to indicate the buffer is full and a small vertical white line starts over at the left side of the buffer bar showing that the buffer is full, data collection is continuing, and is now in the mode where an old point is thrown away for each new point collected.
                    When you press pause, the position of the data being viewed in the buffer is represented by the position of the vertical line on the buffer bar and the frame number displayed to the left of it.

On Verus, as the buffer fills, the flashing buffer indicator moves across the buffer bar from left to right. There is no bar (Like a bar graph) as with Modis just the indicator to show the acivity. At the same time as the indicator is moving from left to right showing data collection activity, the amount of data captured in the buffer is displayed to the left of the buffer and expresed in the total amount of time data has been captured over. When the buffer indicator hits the right side, the buffer is full, the indicator wraps back to the left side to indicate continued data collection activity, and the total time stops counting up as the buffer is full. The time then indicates the total amount of data in the buffer at any time. If you press Pause, that is the amount of time you can review back thru.
                    The buffer indicator then represents the position in the buffer of the data being viewed, and the time indicates the position relative to the beginning of the buffer (The oldest point).

Each of these methods of displaying the buffer activity has its advantages but ultimately they are representing the same thing.

The buffer does of course start over when you pause to review data, then press record.

On both Verus and Modis at sweeps of 5 ms or faster, the buffer activity indicator is immediately placed at the right side and remains there flashing which indicates the buffer is full, but the amount of time is too short to represent with the movement of the activity indicator.

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
                      I agree with Wheel. There have been numerous times where the ability to zoom in would be very useful. The workaround as mentioned is to record at a faster frame rate and then you can zoom out. Problem with this as mentioned is the significantly shorter recorded time frame. If you capture data at a 20mS screen rate you have about 3 seconds to hit the pause button when you feel a glitch or you won't catch the data.

This is precisely the point. If the length of record time were limited only by the size of the hard drive as it should be, then the workaround would be far more practical than it is. But even if we had that you STILL have the problem of analyzing your waveform if you didn't choose the right voltage or a fast enough timebase to begin with.
                      Two separate problems with the scope, but they sure work well together against the mechanic.

Plus I noticed that the buffer fills and then starts over, not just continues to record and dump the old data from the beginning. It could be much better.

This is probably the best handheld scope available - but as you say, it could be so much better, and with not that much effort I would think.

I for one would use this capability but I would be happier to get back some of the lost capabilities from the 10.2 software. Yes I haven't forgotten but it sure seems that Snap-On has.
                      I would use this capability (I actually find a frequent need for it) and much more, and would be willing to pay more for it -IF they would only listen and
                      add these things and others they have been asked to.

I definitely agree on the lost capabilities needing to be returned to us
                      with or without Atlas. I would immediately be seeking out my dealer
                      to work out a deal on a Verus pro if they did.
                      I wish it were only a matter of Snap On forgetting about us - at least that could be remedied. It's more like a willful in-your-face disregard
                      for what their customers want, and that can only be fixed by taking one's business elsewhere.
                      It's about time someone did a youtube video showing what the 10.2 software can do that the newer software cannot, and then linking to it from here and IATN. The results might prove interesting.

Comment

• prmayner
                        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Wheel
                        I would use this capability (I actually find a frequent need for it) and much more, and would be willing to pay more for it -IF they would only listen and
                        add these things and others they have been asked to.

I definitely agree on the lost capabilities needing to be returned to us
                        with or without Atlas. I would immediately be seeking out my dealer
                        to work out a deal on a Verus pro if they did.
                        I wish it were only a matter of Snap On forgetting about us - at least that could be remedied. It's more like a willful in-your-face disregard
                        for what their customers want, and that can only be fixed by taking one's business elsewhere.
                        It's about time someone did a youtube video showing what the 10.2 software can do that the newer software cannot, and then linking to it from here and IATN. The results might prove interesting.
                        I agree 100% with a video. They didn't call me or email or nothing when i sent mine in. I waited almost 2 weeks and then had to call them. When tech support said they would call me. Are they that busy, wait, now that's a dumb question, of course they are with all the broken **** they have to fix, but wait they told me after calling them in the morning time that it might ship that day. Hmmm doesn't sound like their to busy to me. Maybe just lazy or lost. They sure run a tight ship. What service!!!!!

Comment

Working...