Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Verus Pro w 12.4

OK, so I did the trade in, and glad I did. The first part of this post is hardware related. I am still going through Atlas to try and call out all that I see is different (I skipped 12.2 so some of what I post may have been there already).

I also build custom desktops and HTPCs for a hobby, so yes I am a computer nerd. So some or all of this may be of no concern to some of you, but for those who are interested:

The Intel Atom Z530 processor has 1 core and 2 threads. Bus speed of 133Mhz and FSB of 533Mhz. ThermalDesignPower = 2 Watts (very efficient) compared to Gen I's Celeron 600Mhz at 15 Watts TDP.

The memory is one stick of 2048MB PC2-6400 (400Mhz).

Has two USB ports, with enough current to power an external HDD or CD drive, the previous Gen I Verus = not enough mA. The USB ports are also bootable, meaning you can boot the Pro from an external source such as a Bootable flash drive. I like this as I can back-up the whole harddrive with a backup software.

The touch screen seems to be very responsive, and more fluid than the previous Verus, such as scrolling data PIDS, or webpages. It is very bright and easier to read in direct sunlight.

The addition of the direction buttons, a big plus if you don't want to be touching all over the screen. Helps with navigation.

No cooling fans, I suspect it uses a passive system, such as tiny heat pipes used in some laptops. So less noise and less draw on the battery.

The wireless card supports 802.11n for faster data transfer on the WiFi network (if you router supports this standard).

Better support for dual monitor setups, but not completely ready out of the box. The default Intel graphics resolution options for external monitor are only three. 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768. If your savvy with editing files, you can open that up by an edit in the .INF file, so not that big of a deal.

Will support Windows 7, if Snapon or you decide to upgrade in the future. Microsoft states XP Embedded Standard will stop distribution Jan 30 2017, so the Verus Edge with Windows 7 will probably be out by then.

Has a built in rear facing camera, well, it's a smartphone camera.

Can access the BIOS, but don't recommend unless your an advanced PC user.

Actually takes longer to hibernate than it does to shut down and start up. The opposite was true with the Gen I.

Here is a screenshot of the hardware comparison test using PassMark software. The red bars are the Gen I Verus, green is the Verus Pro. Higher numbers (longer bars) are better.

This is as far as I've gotten, been very busy with actual auto repair, but will continue. Thanks.

See this for docking station photos: http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ead.php?t=7629
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sbreland73; 10-19-2015, 08:03 PM. Reason: Added data
    S. Breland
  • Snap-on_ULTRA
    • Jul 2012

so when will 12.4 come out for Solus Ultra?

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
      OK, so I did the trade in, and glad I did. The first part of this post is hardware related. I am still going through Atlas to try and call out all that I see is different (I skipped 12.2 so some of what I post may have been there already).

What you have to say about 12.4 will be particularly interesting.

I also build custom desktops and HTPCs for a hobby, so yes I am a computer nerd. So some or all of this may be of no concern to some of you, but for those who are interested:

You too?

Has two USB ports, with enough current to power an external HDD or CD drive, the previous Gen I Verus = not enough mA. The USB ports are also bootable, meaning you can boot the Pro from an external source such as a Bootable flash drive. I like this as I can back-up the whole harddrive with a backup software.

This is a BIG plus for the reasons you stated. Will cut down on the number of reimages that "must" be done, and possibly free up the tech support lines somewhat.

The touch screen seems to be very responsive, and more fluid than the previous Verus, such as scrolling data PIDS, or webpages. It is very bright and easier to read in direct sunlight.

The addition of the direction buttons, a big plus if you don't want to be touching all over the screen. Helps with navigation.

A BIG bonus.

No cooling fans, I suspect it uses a passive system, such as tiny heat pipes used in some laptops. So less noise and less draw on the battery.

I'm not so sure if this is a good thing or not. Time will judge.

The wireless card supports 802.11n for faster data transfer on the WiFi network (if you router supports this standard).

Another useful upgrade.

Better support for dual monitor setups.

Will support Windows 7, if Snapon or you decide to upgrade in the future. Microsoft states XP Embedded Standard will stop distribution Jan 30 2017, so the Verus Ultimate with Windows 9 will probably be out by then.

This is a good thing. Even though I prefer XP, and it is adequate for
      Snap On's programming, it soon will not be for other automotive programs one wants to add.

Neat. but not necessary.

By rights, this should be allowed on them all. After all, when you buy it, it's yours, not theirs. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit over this.

A definite improvement, anyway.

Here is a screenshot of the hardware comparison test using PassMark software. The red bars are the Gen I Verus, green is the Verus Pro.

This is as far as I've gotten, been very busy with actual auto repair, but will continue. Thanks.
      Thanks for your input.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

Microsoft states XP Embedded Standard will stop distribution Jan 30 2017, so the Verus Ultimate with Windows 9 will probably be out by then.
        nah, snap on will be using vista by then

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

S3 Scan module faulty

OK, so in the process of plowing through 12.4, I have to report my trials at getting the scan module to comm with the D10. It was already "paired" out of the box, I could see the little Bluetooth icon in the lower right corner of the home screen. It refused to comm with the display via BT, but would work as designed via USB. Called tech support, they had me un-pair, re-pair, try this try that. I explained what was wrong, but the first guy just wanted to read off his script. Called my dealer, and asked if he could swing by and let me try the unit (S3) I just traded in. Next day he was here, and I paired my old scan module, plugged into a 2001 Ford F150 and BAM!! great connection, live data, etc. Another rep from Tech Support (Ozzy) called the shop the next morning and asked the status of my issue, I told him about the pairing of another device was a success. He had me connect the scan module that came with the Pro (which btw, is slightly different than the earlier device, it's minus the Ethernet ports on the USB side, and no port at the bottom) and he connected to my machine remotely via the Net. Ozzy tried a few things, but still no dice. He then went to the screen that shows the current firmware loaded on the scan module, and what is available. The "current" fields were blank! As though no firmware was even loaded before shipping! So, he downloaded the new firmware. Still no dice. At this point he decided that this scan unit must be defective, and that he would have a new one shipped out pronto. It arrived four days later, with a return label for me to send the defective unit back, and I connected it to the Pro, paired, plugged into a 2007 Accord, and presto! All good!!! I hope they will have these issues resolved, but if not, and you get one of these units, don't bother your dealer just call TS and they will take care of you.
          Last edited by sbreland73; 09-12-2012, 02:48 PM.
          S. Breland

Comment

• brads
            • Feb 2009

The Intel Atom Z530 processor has 1 core and 2 threads. Bus speed of 133Mhz and FSB of 533Mhz. ThermalDesignPower = 2 Watts (very efficient) compared to Gen I's Celeron 600Mhz at 15 Watts TDP.

The memory is one stick of 2048MB PC2-6400 (400Mhz).

Better support for dual monitor setups.

Will support Windows 7, if Snapon or you decide to upgrade in the future. Microsoft states XP Embedded Standard will stop distribution Jan 30 2017, so the Verus Ultimate with Windows 9 will probably be out by then.

Actually takes longer to hibernate than it does to shut down and start up. The opposite was true with the Gen I.

Here is a screenshot of the hardware comparison test using PassMark software. The red bars are the Gen I Verus, green is the Verus Pro. Higher numbers (longer bars) are better.

how do see your Verus in direct sunlight my Verus pro just shows a blank
            ? thanks

Comment

• TurboJim
              • Jan 2007

My dealer had one on the truck DAMMIT , anyway, I was asking him some questions, which he really didnt know the answers to, so here I am. Does this unit power off the ALDL or off a cig lighter adaptor to the power connector? My Gen2 does NOT, which sucks when I need to leave it on a vehicle for some time to catch a glitch, or have been using it all day and I KNOW the battery is close to the end.....
              Jim Testa
              Senior Technician
              JD Automotive & Truck Inc
              Dover, NJ

Comment

• sbreland73
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TurboJim
                My dealer had one on the truck DAMMIT , anyway, I was asking him some questions, which he really didnt know the answers to, so here I am. Does this unit power off the ALDL or off a cig lighter adaptor to the power connector? My Gen2 does NOT, which sucks when I need to leave it on a vehicle for some time to catch a glitch, or have been using it all day and I KNOW the battery is close to the end.....
                Jim,

This unit is powered like the others, internal battery or cig adapter. The DLC powers the wireless S3 module.
                S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

This is one key reason why I wanted the scan module to be able to DOCK
                  with the Verus, so BOTH could be powered by the car simply and easily
                  no lighter plugin needed, and no usb cable needed, either. It would also have been nice to have had everything in ONE nice bundle to carry to the car, and I think this is the best option if you do not need or want wireless scanning at the time. Hardwarewise, this is the ONLY place I feel that Snap On dropped the ball with this new scanner. Time will judge its reliability. I guess we'll have to wait for the Verus ultra for a docking scan module.

If it proves reliable, then I would say it is better than the generation 2 Verus in every conceivable way. For those who like the option of an onboard scanner and its advantages, (gen1 Verus), it is not. The dockable scan module would have satisfied all these needs, and would have also made it better in every way than the gen 1 Verus - except for the 10.2 software's abilities that we are STILL missing.
                  You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                    • Nov 2007

Verus Pro charging

The Verus Pro charges nicely off of a cigar lighter, unlike Verus. Not that you will need too much, since the battery has extremely good life. I use mine all day and usually never charge it off the cigar lighter.

When I have, it charges quickly. Similar to Verdict.

Bob

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                      The Verus Pro charges nicely off of a cigar lighter, unlike Verus. Not that you will need too much, since the battery has extremely good life. I use mine all day and usually never charge it off the cigar lighter.

When I have, it charges quickly. Similar to Verdict.

Bob
                      Does the Verus pro have choices of battery quality the way Verdict did?
                      Also, is there a good detailed description of the dock preferably
                      with pictures anywhere? I would think this would be a must have accessory for many.

Comment

• TurboJim
                        • Jan 2007

Jim,

This unit is powered like the others, internal battery or cig adapter. The DLC powers the wireless S3 module.
                        I asked because my Verus does NOT charge or power off the lighter. I have had it plugged in for a long recording (yes, hours) trying to catch a glitch, and came back to find it dead. So I wind up running the vehicle close to my stall, with the verus on its charging dock. Its not often, but I have needed it.

Thats why I asked.
                        Jim Testa
                        Senior Technician
                        JD Automotive & Truck Inc
                        Dover, NJ

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wheel
                          Does the Verus pro have choices of battery quality the way Verdict did?
                          Also, is there a good detailed description of the dock preferably
                          with pictures anywhere? I would think this would be a must have accessory for many.
                          Verus Pro and Verdict use the same battery, they come as 3 cell or 6 cell. Verus Pro comes with the 6 cell.
                          Last edited by sbreland73; 10-12-2012, 08:06 AM.
                          S. Breland

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

I asked because my Verus does NOT charge or power off the lighter. I have had it plugged in for a long recording (yes, hours) trying to catch a glitch, and came back to find it dead. So I wind up running the vehicle close to my stall, with the verus on its charging dock. Its not often, but I have needed it.

Thats why I asked.
                            Jim your Verus should at least stay powered on with the cig adaptor. It won't charge because the power pack outputs 17-19V 3A if I remember correctly, so even a running auto with 13.5V is not enough juice to let the hardware charge the battery.
                            S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
                              • Jul 2007

Verus Pro and Verdict can use the same battery. I will get you pictures of the docking station, and info.
                              I figured a lot of potential buyers would want to know these things.
                              Snap On has not always done the best job of explaining the features of their equipment and promoting and explaining the accessories available for the equipment. Incomplete at best.

Comment

Working...