Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
    Does the Verus pro have choices of battery quality the way Verdict did?
    Also, is there a good detailed description of the dock preferably
    with pictures anywhere? I would think this would be a must have accessory for many.
    Wheel,

As you know, Sbreland posted the docking station pics. The docking station is essential for me for all platforms. Funny thing, the Verdict can use this docking station also.

Of course, the Verdict docking station is too small for the Verus Pro.

The Verus Pro battery has only level at this time, a 6 cell. It is actually the extended life option battery from the Verdict. The standard Verdict battery is a 3 cell.

Since the Verus Pro consumes less power than the Verdict, this battery should be like a "super extended battery" (my words) .

Once again, I have no complaints on battery life.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob's Garage; 10-14-2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• TurboJim
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
      Jim your Verus should at least stay powered on with the cig adaptor. It won't charge because the power pack outputs 17-19V 3A if I remember correctly, so even a running auto with 13.5V is not enough juice to let the hardware charge the battery.
      Nope, not mine. Know it for a fact. can even look at the battery icon in the tray and it remains a battery, not a charging battery. maybe mines defective. Now theres a surprise!

If my dealer can make me a deal it wont matter because if so, I'll be sporting a Verus Pro next week
      Jim Testa
      Senior Technician
      JD Automotive & Truck Inc
      Dover, NJ

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TurboJim
        Nope, not mine. Know it for a fact. can even look at the battery icon in the tray and it remains a battery, not a charging battery. maybe mines defective. Now theres a surprise!

If my dealer can make me a deal it wont matter because if so, I'll be sporting a Verus Pro next week
        Yes, the battery icon is normal, only changes to the bolt when the charge potential meets the set point of the hardware. Even when plugged into a cig lighter. You could look at the charge level over a period of time, and see if it indeed does drop.
        S. Breland

Comment

• protraxrptr17
          • Aug 2010

They advertise the pro to have a larger screen, but I used a regular Verus screen protector and had to cut about an inch off the top edge to get it to fit. It is a little bit wider but I like the old screen better. Battery life is much better. Doesnt get as hot. Much faster than my old unit. Doesnt freeze up. Much lighter and easier to manage when driving or under the hood. I like it.

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by protraxrptr17
            They advertise the pro to have a larger screen, but I used a regular Verus screen protector and had to cut about an inch off the top edge to get it to fit. It is a little bit wider but I like the old screen better. Battery life is much better. Doesnt get as hot. Much faster than my old unit. Doesnt freeze up. Much lighter and easier to manage when driving or under the hood. I like it.
            In consumer electronics, a view screen is measured diagonally.
            S. Breland

Comment

• swtws6
              • Nov 2012

Is the RAM upgradeable on the Pro? And if so , to what?

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by swtws6
                Is the RAM upgradeable on the Pro? And if so , to what?
                I doubt we'll know this until they get out of warranty and someone takes one apart.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• swtws6
                  • Nov 2012

Theres always someone willing to do it......

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

I doubt we'll know this until they get out of warranty and someone takes one apart.
                    All you have to do is take it apart to end the warranty... LOL

Comment

• howver1
                      • Jan 2008

Amount of RAM

The memory is one stick of 2048MB PC2-6400 (400Mhz).

sbreland stated this at the beginning of this thread on page one.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                        • Dec 2008

This is one key reason why I wanted the scan module to be able to DOCK
                        with the Verus, so BOTH could be powered by the car simply and easily
                        no lighter plugin needed, and no usb cable needed, either. It would also have been nice to have had everything in ONE nice bundle to carry to the car, and I think this is the best option if you do not need or want wireless scanning at the time. Hardwarewise, this is the ONLY place I feel that Snap On dropped the ball with this new scanner. Time will judge its reliability. I guess we'll have to wait for the Verus ultra for a docking scan module.

If it proves reliable, then I would say it is better than the generation 2 Verus in every conceivable way. For those who like the option of an onboard scanner and its advantages, (gen1 Verus), it is not. The dockable scan module would have satisfied all these needs, and would have also made it better in every way than the gen 1 Verus - except for the 10.2 software's abilities that we are STILL missing.
                        I Agree Totally with wheel. I Miss those 10.2 Features as well..Also the Dockable Scan Module is needed. I was on a long road test at one time, Had My Verus running and getting ready to capture an intermittent fault. Then just as is was starting to fail on a grade while towing, My battery on the Verus died. Had to return all the way back to the shop and get an extra battery and the ciglighter power to keep on that road test long enough. It was a hot summer day and the batteries don't last as long enough. drove it for about 3 hrs until it acted up. this was a 2006 Chevy Duramax setting a p0087. very hard to duplicate the concern, found problem was only while under load with a heavy trailer and going upgrade. A dockable or the 1st Gen Verus would of not died. anyways that truck ended up having excessive return flowrates on some injectors and were replaced. reroad tested as needed. Luckily we have hills and mountains nearby to road test under these needed conditions..
                        Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• Wheel
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by eddiesverus
                          I Agree Totally with wheel. I Miss those 10.2 Features as well..Also the Dockable Scan Module is needed. I was on a long road test at one time, Had My Verus running and getting ready to capture an intermittent fault. Then just as is was starting to fail on a grade while towing, My battery on the Verus died. Had to return all the way back to the shop and get an extra battery and the ciglighter power to keep on that road test long enough. It was a hot summer day and the batteries don't last as long enough. drove it for about 3 hrs until it acted up. this was a 2006 Chevy Duramax setting a p0087. very hard to duplicate the concern, found problem was only while under load with a heavy trailer and going upgrade. A dockable or the 1st Gen Verus would of not died. anyways that truck ended up having excessive return flowrates on some injectors and were replaced. reroad tested as needed. Luckily we have hills and mountains nearby to road test under these needed conditions..
                          I did not suggest that the scan module be able to dock with the Verus
                          without a lot of thought and some very good reasons, and you have given a prime example of a key reason. I'll review and explain them here in one place:

1. I am not a juggler, and I do not like to carry several pieces of equipment to the car at one time, nor do I like making any more trips to my diagnostic toolbox than necessary. Having my scanner in one piece as I move to, from, and between jobs is much more user friendly, and one is far less likely to drop and damage something.
                          One of the arguments of buying Snap On equipment over their pc based competition is the clumsiness of having to wag around a computer plus either the scan or scope module it depends on - a clumsiness we also now have with a scan module that won't dock when we don't specifically need wireless, which is often. Kinda defeats one main purpose of choosing Snap On over the aforementioned competition, right?

2. The issue brought up here of the main unit battery dying during long scan sessions. We all like to think we are "Super Tech" and are faster
                          than a speeding bullet at diagnosis... until that all too common intermittent hands us our butt on a silver tray. Like it or not, extended scan times are necessary to attempt to diagnose the ever increasing amount of intermittents. Except perhaps on OBD1 rigs whereas the DLC is underhood, you DO NOT need or want wireless on a test drive.
                          As one unit, the Verus could stay charged up just as it once did.
                          Yes, you could connect the main unit to the cigarette lighter (if it works),
                          but that's more inconvenience, right?

3. One thing I haven't seen brought up is the issues so many have
                          when updating software that the firmware in scan module doesn't get
                          updated and then we have a pixxed off customer and an unnecessary call bothering tech support. Human nature dictates if there was a place to dock the scan module on the Verus, this is where it would be stored, unless wireless scanning was needed. Thus, when the Verus booted up, it could see the module as connected and automatically update it if needed, thereby taking care of a problem automatically that I am sure has plagued both the customer AND tech support.

If these arguments don't convince Snap On to build the next generation of the Verus with a dockable scan module, then I give up.

As for the 10.2 features stolen from us that have not been replaced -
                          I am convinced that Snap On doesn't care what we think or want.
                          The complete lack of any progress to returning ANY of these features in the updates since speaks far louder than any empty promises or attempts to seek our input on the matter. Much information and conclusive proof has been given to Snap On about the need for the return of these features by many of us and still nothing.
                          To the Snap On employees who really get it and have tried in good faith to work with us - Thank you. As for the bean counter 3 piece suit types who don't know how to raise a hood, yet think they know more
                          about what we need in a scan tool than some of the developers, beta testers, or we do, may they have a particularly aggressive case of Montezuma's Revenge each day until they do right by their customers !!!
                          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• 66superduty
                            • Apr 2009

wheel i could not have said it any better.

Comment

• prmayner
                              • Jun 2013

fsb

what's the front side buss speed of the different verus' and where do you find a 2gb pc6400 400mhz mem stick?

Comment

• sbreland73
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by prmayner
                                what's the front side buss speed of the different verus' and where do you find a 2gb pc6400 400mhz mem stick?
                                Go here and download this small utility: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
                                S. Breland

Comment

Working...