Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REX0312
    • Sep 2017

New security gateway modules

My question or rather statement is directed at Snap-On engineers. what functionality constraints will there be when the updates move our scan tools into the 2018 model year?

FCA products are introducing security gateway modules to prevent hacking attempts through the radio or the data link connector. Will the security gateway modules render our scan tools useless in the realm of by-directional controls?

I am curious as to how that is going to go for technicians. I work at a Chrysler dealership and use my MODIS EDGE for most diagnostics that dont require the proprietary scan tool, so I am really interested in what lies ahead in scanner world.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

My question or rather statement is directed at Snap-On engineers. what functionality constraints will there be when the updates move our scan tools into the 2018 model year?

FCA products are introducing security gateway modules to prevent hacking attempts through the radio or the data link connector. Will the security gateway modules render our scan tools useless in the realm of by-directional controls?

I am curious as to how that is going to go for technicians. I work at a Chrysler dealership and use my MODIS EDGE for most diagnostics that dont require the proprietary scan tool, so I am really interested in what lies ahead in scanner world.
    If I had to venture a guess I think that Highly publicized Hacking into a Jeep probably was an Inside Job scare tactic so Chrysler could justify doing things in the guise of security to make it harder and more expensive for the aftermarket to be able to work on their vehicles.

I'm sure if you gave new car owners the choice of buying a new car and reflashing it where it be more secure against a hacking event by a computer nerd but require them after that to bring it to the dealer every time an idiot light comes on and pay double what your regular trusted mechanic would charge down the street, the vast majority of folk would hold onto their wallet and take their chances.
    Last edited by Witsend; 09-20-2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by REX0312

My understanding is that the protocol was more to prevent the unauthorized access of changing of data.

You should still be able to read diagnostic data that's available. Otherwise they would not be able to smog or certify cars sold in the US.

Not sure how it may work on the relearn stuff though.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Gateway

Cheeses Fuggen Chrysler! It's another Ghost-a from Kenosha Looks like' Goezer the Gate Keeper is gonna have to find a new Keymaster... Let the Fat Lady Sing off the Chrysler Building!
        Last edited by Witsend; 09-22-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...