Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
    I noticed that the Edge has a micro SD card slot. i plugged in 16 gig card and it shows up as drive E. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the capacity it will recognize. I can get a 256 gig pretty reasonable. It would be used mainly for storing DVD manuals for instance. That would be much more convenient than voiding the warranty opening this up.
    Got one where I work - 258 gig no problem. What is a problem is the unit will not boot up with it in place - must try to boot from the card instead, and guess what - some jerk making the decisions has password protected the bios so this can't be changed, which should be illegal. This is like selling you a house and locking you out of YOUR utility room. If you paid for something it is yours to change or even screw up (on purpose if you want to) as you please. There are plenty of reasons a Verus owner with computer savvy would want to get in the bios and change something to suit his needs and boot order as I just described is just one of them. It's an owner's right and I don't freakin' care if it voids the warranty or not.

One idea I have I would like to try the feasibility of:
    IF the unit can boot from the micro sd card, one might could image the operating system partition onto it, say 17.4 and put it in a safe place. When 18.2 comes along and has glitches or missing pids or tests - maybe one could place the card in the slot, boot up 17.4 and get back to work. Maybe one could do this for the first time since the brick and its removable cartridges.
    If this works, this would allow one to get back to work until Snap On could resolve the problem, even if one had to wait for the next update. It IS possible to image the hard drive without removing it from the unit.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

Memory Card Boot

Originally posted by Wheel
      Got one where I work - 258 gig no problem. What is a problem is the unit will not boot up with it in place - must try to boot from the card instead, and guess what - some jerk making the decisions has password protected the bios so this can't be changed, which should be illegal. This is like selling you a house and locking you out of YOUR utility room. If you paid for something it is yours to change or even screw up (on purpose if you want to) as you please. There are plenty of reasons a Verus owner with computer savvy would want to get in the bios and change something to suit his needs and boot order as I just described is just one of them. It's an owner's right and I don't freakin' care if it voids the warranty or not.

One idea I have I would like to try the feasibility of:
      IF the unit can boot from the micro sd card, one might could image the operating system partition onto it, say 17.4 and put it in a safe place. When 18.2 comes along and has glitches or missing pids or tests - maybe one could place the card in the slot, boot up 17.4 and get back to work. Maybe one could do this for the first time since the brick and its removable cartridges.
      If this works, this would allow one to get back to work until Snap On could resolve the problem, even if one had to wait for the next update. It IS possible to image the hard drive without removing it from the unit.
      Mine does not require that I remove the SD card in order to boot. I have a 128 in there now and it boots fine. Im looking for a "reliable" source for a larger one. I would love a 512GB.

Comment

• jimbo4822
        • Mar 2014

Problem with unlocked bios is I can imagine the tech support issues from guys who accidentally delete the hidden partition and visible partition that has the restore files and anything else that can be easily up from either trying to "make it better" of just not really understanding what you are doing.

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
          Mine does not require that I remove the SD card in order to boot. I have a 128 in there now and it boots fine. Im looking for a "reliable" source for a larger one. I would love a 512GB.
          That's odd that yours will boot with the card in place, out of one edge and one zeus i've fooled with, neither would boot with a card in place. Have to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've read of as large as a 400 gb Sandisk you could buy direct. Would love to get a 512 if one now exists. I've seen msatas as high as a terabyte. I put a 1 terabyte Crucial in my original Verus, Like you, I like a LOT of info available onboard the tool, which greatly enhances its usefulness many times over and feel 64 gb is absurd at least for my needs.
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jimbo4822
            Problem with unlocked bios is I can imagine the tech support issues from guys who accidentally delete the hidden partition and visible partition that has the restore files and anything else that can be easily up from either trying to "make it better" of just not really understanding what you are doing.
            But nothing they can't fix. Why should they care? I don't hear them whining about a cooked motherboard or broken screen or other hardware damage, which I feel would be a much more costly and difficult fix. Besides most bioses I have fooled with you have a restore to default setting which should fix any mis-tweaks.
            One is far more likely to wipe / ruin his partitions or programming by installing or mis installing a program or picking up malware than wrecking things by way of the bios - happens all the time. Nope - NO excuse for locking one out of the bios. The tool owner has a perfect right to screw up the tool he paid for in any way - even on purpose if he wants - and Snap On has the perfect right to charge him out the wazoo to fix it or sell him a new one at full price.

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

SD Card

Originally posted by Wheel
              That's odd that yours will boot with the card in place, out of one edge and one zeus i've fooled with, neither would boot with a card in place. Have to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've read of as large as a 400 gb Sandisk you could buy direct. Would love to get a 512 if one now exists. I've seen msatas as high as a terabyte. I put a 1 terabyte Crucial in my original Verus, Like you, I like a LOT of info available onboard the tool, which greatly enhances its usefulness many times over and feel 64 gb is absurd at least for my needs.
              I ordered up a 400GB micro SD off Amazon for $250.00. I'll let you know how it works. I've tried a 128 and have 78Gb of digital manuals on it and it works great. I've also installed Ford IDS and the J2534 Toolbox. so far everything works great!

Comment

• phill57
                • Oct 2007

Micro SD card installed.

So I managed to find a reliable 400gb micro sd card off Amazon for $250.00. Works great so far. Seems fast enough, no notable delay accessing data on it. At least this way I haven't compromised the warranty, (yet). hmmmm maybe a Ram upgrade?
                Attached Files

Comment

• GypsyR
                  • Jul 2017

I've seen my Verus Edge hovering around 85% RAM usage a few times now and I'm sure it could be a tad quicker. At some point I will see about adding another 2GB. 2GB is pretty low end for Win 7. My Verdict with XP responded well to me doubling its memory.

Comment

Working...