X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

It's a $peecey Spicer Meatball

2000 Jeep Wrangler 2.5, I had a heck of a time finding aftermarket replacement front axle shaft U-joints for it. Nothing matched in Moog. Chrysler Mopar part list is over $80 a piece for part # 04137757. FYI ,The original ones have Spicer name on it. Was able to find a couple Spicer # 5-760X that seem to work just fine as replacements and were less than half the cost.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Not a Gynecologist, But I'll take a look

F@ck, Doesn't any one rent a Differential Spreader? Can usually do it but always PITA , Every shop I've worked at , they either don't have one or it's missing pieces or broken. How many folk actually own one?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Witsend; 12-02-2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

I do not own one. I am "Differentially Handicapped". If I build one, it howls afterwards. I'll leave that repair to others.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

There were a couple of times it would have been handy but never really needed one.
        Patience and BRASS drifts so as to not hurt any bearings and wee taps always worked.
        Lots of shops, no one had any brass drifts and they were always re-doing gear boxes and differentials and bearings.
        If you go out to find a brass punch, they're pricey. When you're not looking for one, they pop up at very reasonable prices.

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
          There were a couple of times it would have been handy but never really needed one.
          100% agree. I'm sure it makes the job easier, but never needed one either.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Well surprisingly on this Jeep wrangler front diff has no shims on the outboard sides of the carrier bearing races, so the orange plastic dead blow hammer slowly working side to side , then the caps with bolts the remaining quarter inch did the trick.One strange thing I noticed , there were quarter inch thick circles of Grey RTV on each end I scraped out before I removed the axle seals, and I decided to thoroughly clean and reproduce these grey RTV circles and let it set up half the day. Maybe because the factory was trying to reduce chronic warranty claims of axle lubricant getting past the front axle seals .

Comment

Working...