Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaskuss
    • Dec 2009

Latest version of the MTG2500

Can someone tell me what the lastest version of the MTG2500 is? I'm referring to the brick itself, not the software in the cartridges. I see a version 6.0 for sale.
    Charlie
  • crackerclicker
    • May 2008

wow. the last "new" mt2500 i recall is the backlit 2.2v or the mtg2500 graphing scanner. someone else may have a better answer for you, but this is what i remember. however, just for clarification, i believe the final programmable vci is 9.2 (and the last tsi was 8.4?).

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by chaskuss
      Can someone tell me what the lastest version of the MTG2500 is? I'm referring to the brick itself, not the software in the cartridges. I see a version 6.0 for sale.
      Charlie
      In my opinion the MTG is not the same reliable scanner that the MT2500 was. I wouldn't pay much for one these days. I'd find a used Solus if that was my price range.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• kebo1970
        • Nov 2008

mt2500

the 2.2 was the last version of the non graphing brick. i don't know about the graphing brick and i have one(i think only one version was made; the graphs were hard to read)
        Last edited by kebo1970; 01-02-2010, 07:17 PM. Reason: new sentence

Comment

• chaskuss
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by kebo1970
          the 2.2 was the last version of the non graphing brick. i don't know about the graphing brick and i have one(i think only one version was made; the graphs were hard to read)
          What is the version number of your MTG2500? Has it worked OK for you?
          Charlie

Comment

• chaskuss
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
            In my opinion the MTG is not the same reliable scanner that the MT2500 was. I wouldn't pay much for one these days. I'd find a used Solus if that was my price range.

Joe
            Joe,
            What sort of issues did the MTG2500 have? I note that the MTG2500 had some sort of rechargeable battery in it. Is the battery replaceable? If so, what does a new battery cost? What additional functions does the Solus do, that my brick does not? My original brick just died after 16 faithful years [version 1.8]
            Charlie
            Last edited by chaskuss; 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM. Reason: added 2nd thru 5th sentences

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

Hi Charlie,

What sort of issues did the MTG2500 have?
              I haven't run a lot of them, but I recall more than one that locked up significantly more than the MT2500

Is the battery replaceable?
              I don't know the answer to this one.

What additional functions does the Solus do, that my brick does not?
              Save, store files. Can be updated. Most importantly to me: Graphs the entire data list for 2500 frames of data. How does this help? Drive the car once. If it goofs up, you caught it. Just play it back. The scanner is always recording the entire data list. Graphs help you catch stuff that would be easily missed without it.

Here's just a quick example. Notice the EGR getting yanked open to 99% at closed throttle. The PCM is running a decel check on the EGR valve. It's a pretty common check, but I bet you'd never notice it while watching digital data. In graphing mode it's easy to catch.
              Attached Files
              Henry Ford

Comment

• chaskuss
                • Dec 2009

MT2500 versus Solus

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                snipped
                What additional functions does the Solus do, that my brick does not?
                Save, store files. Can be updated. Most importantly to me: Graphs the entire data list for 2500 frames of data. How does this help? Drive the car once. If it goofs up, you caught it. Just play it back. The scanner is always recording the entire data list. Graphs help you catch stuff that would be easily missed without it.

Here's just a quick example. Notice the EGR getting yanked open to 99% at closed throttle. The PCM is running a decel check on the EGR valve. It's a pretty common check, but I bet you'd never notice it while watching digital data. In graphing mode it's easy to catch.
                This is available in the standard Solus? I thought only the Solus Pro offered this feature? Looks like I need to start saving up.
                Charlie

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

Yes, the Solus does this. Operationally, all the scanners are the same, except the Verus. The Verus has virtually unlimited record capabilities (only limited by hard drive space...and that's way more record time than would ever be needed). The scanner functionality and coverage of the Solus, Solus-Pro and Modis is identical.

Joe
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• kebo1970
                    • Nov 2008

mtg2500

Originally posted by chaskuss
                    What is the version number of your MTG2500? Has it worked OK for you?
                    Charlie
                    i only use the mtg2500 in non graph mode; you can change the batteries at the batteries plus store(in houston,tx). it does not have a pretty graph like the solus or the solus pro; other than that it works just fine. you want at least 7.4 software

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                      • Jan 2015

MTG2500 reliability

Hi, I have had my MTG2500 for many years now, got my Modis in 2010 and had the graphing brick several years longer.
                      Actually had absolutely no problems with it and still grab that first despite having both Ethos and Solus too now, as well as my Modis.
                      And no problems from the rechargeable battery pack either.
                      Still on the one it came with 😇

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Glad to hear it stood the test of time. Does it have the latest software version you could get on a programmable black cartridge or is it the latest version of the MTG2500 that was sold before the Solus and Modis arrived on the scene?

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                          • Jan 2015

Version

This is on version 6 and does OBD all the way onwards as they do.
                          But I rarely use OBD alone as manufacturers side is usually best and helps more I find.

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

Version 9.2 I believe was the final release.

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

Kind of strange back when Snappy discontinued the updates for the discontinued Brick in 2009, you could still get that final 9.2 update for a MT2500 a couple years off truck until 2011. If update support ends for a platform now a days you can no longer update the tool after the next update is released for the newer platforms. Seems to me with all the Chinese scanner competition that they should have actually increased the time period that you could purchase the final legacy updates of any any discontinued platform instead of a You're gonna Sh@t yourself if you don't hurry up, pay and get on the Pot right now and download The Holy Grail before 17.4 comes out.
                            Lol, Fine if my $1000 dollars( hopefully discounted after 2 years old) is no longer good to buy 16.4 from a Snappy truck any longer for a Solus Pro a year from now when one needs the newer coverage.
                            Last edited by Witsend; 04-05-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• sbreland73
                              • Jan 2009

Ahhhhh the old thread resurrection.........seven years on this one!
                              S. Breland

Comment

Working...