why are fully updated 13.4 scanners so cheap on ebay?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snap-on_ULTRA
    • Jul 2012

why are fully updated 13.4 scanners so cheap on ebay?

I wonder if snap on sells just updates for about $1100 for any scanners. Then why are already fully updated scanners(souls, pro, modis) selling for $800-$1500 on ebay?

Why would I buy only 13.4 update for $1100 when I can buy the whole scanner already updated from some guy on ebay?

It looks like some of the snap on dealers found a way to update the used scanners without reporting it to snap on. This way the profit is 100% on update.

I asked one of the sellers, why are scanners so cheap, this is what he wrote me:

Someone selling it to me updated already and i can buy any scanner i want well if he has it on hand for example he just sold me 2 ethos for $1000 updated this modis you are looking at i just got this for $900 updated already he is telling me he can not sell in e-bay right now he was suspended so he just buys the scanner updates it and sell it to somebody like me the worst part is he is not just selling it to me he is selling it to everybody thats why the prices for this scanner is so low right now everybody is getting it for such a low price

Maybe the snap on corporation should look into this

ebay member names that sells snap on scanners for cheap, look up feedback and all you see are the newest updated scanners that are sold:
    theliquidationplace, dominickr123
    Last edited by Snap-on_ULTRA; 12-22-2013, 02:01 PM.
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

One reason may be the dealers that buy updates in large lots from Snap On get a hefty discount, then pass those discounts onto their better customers....But be careful what you say about them needing to look into it, they don't need their hands in pre-owned sales too. If Johnny Scantool wants to take a loss when he sells his Solus, Modis, Etc. well thats his business. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, but if they find a way to regulate pre-owned sales, that will definitely limit how many up-and-coming techs can get their hands on a quality tool affordably. I purchased my Modis on ebay for HALF of what my dealer wanted, and it was a great deal. Both parties were happy with the sale, and I saved $$$. Sorry to vent my opinion, S.O. should stick to New Tool Sales
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• SPS10.4
      • Aug 2012

Read between the lines...

The following reply is my opinion and is not to be construed as factual in any way, whatsoever

In the beginning, there were a few people who were never happy with what they had. They always wanted more.
      Greed consumed them and they started copying PROM chips for the red brick and the rest is ebay history.

Originally posted by Snap-on_ULTRA
      I wonder if snap on sells just updates for about $1100 for any scanners. Then why are already fully updated scanners(souls, pro, modis) selling for $800-$1500 on ebay?
      Seems to good to be true, doesn't it?

Why would I buy only 13.4 update for $1100 when I can buy the whole scanner already updated from some guy on ebay?
      Spend some quality time researching the sellers' feedback history. It seems some resellers have only sold "updated" units.
      Other resellers will have sold whatever update was on the scanner when they purchased.
      What happens when your "great deal" has to be sent in for service and the software is deemed questionable?

It looks like some of the snap on dealers found a way to update the used scanners without reporting it to snap on. This way the profit is 100% on update.
      I have no reason to believe dealers are involved in this mess. Let's say a dealer takes an older software version scanner in on trade or just buys it outright.
      I would think he could update the unit at his cost and resell it on the truck, yes?

I agree. The scanners you listed above have one thing in common. Do you think there was a reason they changed OS?
      Think about what I have said and draw your own conclusion.

My reply above is my opinion and is not to be construed as factual in any way, whatsoever.

Comment

• SPS10.4
        • Aug 2012

I would like to hear from a Snap-On affiliated member on this topic. I feel that this ongoing situation devalues all of our hard earned money spent on legitimate software updates. What is the process when a unit sent in for repair is found to have questionable software? What happens on the truck when the dealer attempts to update?

ebay member names that sells snap on scanners for cheap, look up feedback and all you see are the newest updated scanners that are sold:
        theliquidationplace, dominickr123
        History repeats. As expected, the release of 14.2 with Euro has found its' way into old SOLUS series scanners on a daily basis. This is ridiculous. Again.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Why should a tech buy an old push button Solus or Solus Pro that needs update?

Hey, If entry level techs can buy a brand new DS 708 with touchscreen , WIFI and European software , a year of updating and a one year warrantee for under $1500 that includes some key programming abilities, anyone selling slow 5-10 years old used hardware with personality keys would be hard pressed to sell it unless it is fully updated before selling , otherwise you're probably stuck with it.
          (and the DS 708 tool is already obsolete POS eventually being replaced by MaxiSys Pro that gets rid of problematic windows based OS).
          To counter the Chinese , I think Snap On should be able to pirate every remaining spec of OE software information after a moratorium of a 5 year OE proprietary information period ( after paying a few bones to get what it can legitimately beforehand from the OE makers the first three or four years) All Snap On old Scanners get The Euro unlocked for free and a 24-7 Torrent of updates for all old scanners running 6.4 or later get all the Bidirectional holes filled in completely up to what it's software level claims to be.
          Then Snap On software writers could be assigned a retired drive-ability techs as consultants to concentrate on improving the Fast Track guided diagnostics.
          Just because Someone paid 2 grand for a PC 10 years ago doesn't mean that most folk would even accept one now as a free gift a unless it was updated somehow. If Snap On wants to let dealers update old scanners for free to keep some out of a landfill and some new Chinese hardware out of hands of some techs , so be it.

Comment

• SPS10.4
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Witsend
            If Snap On wants to let dealers update old scanners for free to keep some out of a landfill and some new Chinese hardware out of hands of some techs , so be it.
            You bring up some valid points and if the playing field was level it would be much easier to accomplish. That said, Snap-On could earn some new customers and satisfy old die-hards at the same time if they would make a peace offering. They would have to dig into their pocket to make it work, but it could restore some faith in the brand.

Comment

• SPS10.4
              • Aug 2012

You made me smile Witsend.

From this day forward, I will refer to my scanner as an old push button Solus Pro. That's some funny stuff!

Comment

Working...