Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autogressive
    • Aug 2014

GM BCM programming

Hello. I own a 12v custom shop and am considering purchasing one of the scanners from snap on. It may be overkill for all I want to use it for, but I see possibilities with them. Originally looking for a tool that will read and erase any light in the instrument cluster I might trigger (check engine, air bag, abs, etc). Ive done pretty well through the years avoiding the scenario, however a couple times in the past year I have had to make a trip to local dealers to perform erases. Looks like all of these scanners will do that above and more.
    What would be really nice is if I can use one of these devices to read and or flash program GM bcm's. Had aheck of a time with a new model Suburban earlier this year that cost a fortune at the dealer to get sorted out. I feel I could have possibly avoided this with one of these scanners(and knowledge of). I also would like to be able to turn rear view camera function in newer GM NAV systems, as back up cameras are very popular lately and installing them on GM vehicles through navigation radio requires a trip to the dealer for programming the feature to "on". Can anyone offer input as to what setup I should consider, as well as accompanying hardware/software to what is mentioned above? My Snapon dealer left an Ethos with me to play with for a week but he did not know fully the answer to my above question. This Ethos is brand new and current and reasonably priced. If it will handle what I want to do, Im sure I'll buy it. Or if I need to consider others?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • GM guy
    • Dec 2006

GM BCM

The Ethos is not going to do what you want. If you specialize in GM vehicles (newer) I would bite the bullet for a MDI, GDS2 software on a laptop and a subscription to GM TIS for software updates. A J2534 pass-thru device may do some of what you want. Take a look: http://www.drewtech.com/technician/p...ongoosegm.html

Comment

• badcoupe
      • Jan 2011

I set up a friend who builds wrecked gm's with a mongoose and GDS2 since his tech2 is out of date now, but that's all they do. That way you can set-up bcm's or any module do xm etc on Gm's. If you want coverage for everything then a solus etc will work but you won't be able program.

Comment

• KIRA1010
        • Nov 2014

My friend got a MDI last month. Sounds it is good at diagnosing, but don't know how it works for BCM programming.

Comment

Working...