Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

6.0 Power Stroke Cylinder Contribution

I was just watching one of Diesel Tech Ron's videos on diagnosing 6.0 power strokes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbKZ50x4_go . According to this when you're looking at the cylinder contribution with the Snap On software the vehicle PCM (or FICM) is adding fuel (compensating) to the cylinders that are not contributing equally in order to keep the engine smooth. But with the Ford IDS you have the option to put the PCM in a mode where all cylinders get equal fuel (injector on time). This would be a helpful addition to help in diagnosing injector deficiencies.
    Last edited by greasybob; 09-10-2015, 04:41 AM.
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

BoB, with the ids testing the injectors/balance test, the first screen shows all 8 injectors with the pcm compensating for week cylinders or injectors. when you click the injector icon and change the screen to be able to cut the injectors out one at a time, this takes the compensation away and will show low or high injector balance rates. when you use the snapon scanners the compensation is taken away already, no need to have a different screen. it will shows what injector is over or under fueling.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Thanks for the reply. So with the Snap On scanners when you view the data on the cylinder contribution or balance test, the PCM eliminates all fuel compensation ? I should make it clear that I'm talking about the snap On Cylinder Contribution Functional test data and not the Injector Kill test.
      Last edited by greasybob; 09-10-2015, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• diesel71
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by greasybob
        Thanks for the reply. So with the Snap On scanners when you view the data on the cylinder contribution or balance test, the PCM eliminates all fuel compensation ? I should make it clear that I'm talking about the snap On Cylinder Contribution Functional test data and not the Injector Kill test.
        you are correct bob, all compensation is off when you view cylinder contribution with the snapon scanner. i know this to be true because i have compared the ids to the snapon. i do not know about the gas engines but do know its off on the ford diesels.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by diesel71
            you are correct bob, all compensation is off when you view cylinder contribution with the snapon scanner. i know this to be true because i have compared the ids to the snapon. i do not know about the gas engines but do know its off on the ford diesels.
            Does that go for all the Powerstrokes?

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• diesel71
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
              Does that go for all the Powerstrokes?

Joe
              HI joe, on the 6.0/6.4 and 6.7 when you view cylinder contribution the compensation is turned off so we can see what cylinder is being added to or subtracted to. the 7.3 powerstrokes work different, we look at the perdel pids. these data pids only work at idle, what we are seeing is percentage of crank deceleration or crankshaft velocity change. the perdels help pinpoint a week injector/cylinder.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by diesel71
                HI joe, on the 6.0/6.4 and 6.7 when you view cylinder contribution the compensation is turned off so we can see what cylinder is being added to or subtracted to. the 7.3 powerstrokes work different, we look at the perdel pids. these data pids only work at idle, what we are seeing is percentage of crank deceleration or crankshaft velocity change. the perdels help pinpoint a week injector/cylinder.
                I get it. That is some helpful info. I sure wish I knew it earlier!

Joe
                "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                Henry Ford

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

An example of viewing cylinder contribution as engine load during the injector kill test. The test was run the same for cylinder 3 as it was for cylinder 8. You can barely tell when injector 8 was disabled. 03 F250 6.0
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...