Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therigwelder
    • Aug 2015

Cartridge for a 95 powerstroke

I recently acquired a mt2500 for the specific purpose of testing a 95 Ford F-350 powerstroke 7.3.Can it be done and what cartridges and equipment do I need?
  • aajim@hotmail.com
    • May 2015

Try This

Ford Was supposed to update the 94 and 95 Power stroke to 96 specs. It should have a obd 2 plug under the passenger side dash. tell the scanner that you are working on a 96 model and you can get data and codes

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

My 95 Explorer is EEC4 and has a 16pin OBD2 style connector under the dash like a 96 model with OBDII and EEC5, however there is no Engine control communication with the scanner through the 16pin connector and engine control communication needs to be accessed under hood accessing the older style EEC4 connector. Some of Ford's HD trucks and van models may still have had OBD 1 EEC4 even after 96 if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
        My 95 Explorer is EEC4 and has a 16pin OBD2 style connector under the dash like a 96 model with OBDII and EEC5, however there is no Engine control communication with the scanner through the 16pin connector and engine control communication needs to be accessed under hood accessing the older style EEC4 connector. Some of Ford's HD trucks and van models may still have had OBD 1 EEC4 even after 96 if I remember correctly.
        See if you can read wheel speed sensors through the ABS and the OBD-II connector under the dash please.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I didn't have wheel speeds available in ABS on my MT2500 for my 95 Explorer. Didn't work on my DS708 either selected as a 96 model. Though Gem module showed data pids on MT2500 and DS708.
          The DS 708 also communicated with Remote/anti theft /personality module
          Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

In the ABS data, try it with key-on-engine-OFF, then just let the vehicle roll down a slope. Please try that both ways, identified as a 1995 and a 1996, both with just key-on.
            As soon as I ID'd the vehicle as a 1996, then started it, the scanner recognized it wasn't a 1996 model year vehicle, but only after the engine was running.

Key-on-engine-OFF was the ONLY way I could see wheel speed sensor pids changing from 0 to about 5 or 6 mph with the vehicle simply rolling and I was told that the module in the vehicle was somehow some kind of "unique" programming set up, even though I knew for certain that it was the factory original programming-!!!

The vehicle had one bad front hub sensor and the Ford fix was to change up BOTH front hubs to match because the "revised" sensor wouldn't match with the remaining original sensor.
            The problem would only happen about 5 times out of 20 when stopping and could go DAYS without setting any codes or causing a parking lot speed "phantom" abs activation.

Key-on-engine-OFF, ID as a 1996, let the vehicle roll.
            Thank you.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

I maybe wrong , but I thought I was able view ABS data of the 95 explorer before with my MT2500. I even untaped and looked at the 2 -2A fuses in the jumper harness that Ford put in near master cylinder for some ancient open recall I got a letter about , I'm not seeing any sort of ABS warning light on my instrument cluster during KOEO bulb check when I cycle the key , so I thought a fuse might be cause. Driving it and braking on gravel, I can feel the ABS working though.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Turn the key on but don't start it.
                Tell the scanner it's a 96
                Navigate to ABS data.
                Don't start it. Just let it roll.

You had the pids showing but they went to N/A because you probably had the engine running.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

95 Ford Explorer ABS wheel speeds show N/A MT2500

The wheel speed pids under display data are listed but still display NA whether in KOEO or KOER for 95 or 96 Explorer entered. I removed ABS module connector and inspected pins have no evidence of green death and continuity checks ok between ISO pin 7 of 16pin DLC and pin 16 of ABS module, so I'm not sure if reading wheel speeds in 95 and 96 is really supported properly by Snappy or Autel.
                  As for no ABS indicator, I believed the ABS at one time was disabled and the dash bulb pulled until a hub or sensor was fixed and fuse reinstalled but the cluster warning light bulb is probably still gone.
                  If you have a front hub sensor acting erratic, when the false activation occurs it usually has a slight brake pull (hands momentarily off steering wheel during lower speed false ABS activation) to the side that is receiving more brake pressure than the other side , because the side being denied pressure is likely due to sensor output drop out. The ABS module thinks the one wheel that suddenly dropping out out is skidding and starts pulsing removing some pressure to that caliper. So the opposite side of where it seems to pull during false ABS activation is where I would look.

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Thanks for the tips but I'm very aware of checking for phantom ABS activations. In fact this vehicle wad fixed circa 1999 -!! LOL
                    I saw you had a 1995 and I was wondering if they EVER GOT AROUND TO FIXING THE NO ABS WHEEL SPEED PIDS.

I was also "told" that the electronic modules in my vehicle were some kind of "special" or "unique" software build and I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now either-!@#$^^**

Thanks for looking though.
                    You've just confirmed that I was told a bunch of hogwash, not once, but several times.

The odds of two guys on a single forum both having the same vehicle, both with " unique " software are just too long to be believable -!!!

Sometimes having a very long memory is a blessing, sometimes a curse...LMAO

Comment

Working...