Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

saving Scanner Movies With Functional Tests

It's occurred to me before but I was just performing an RPM control functional test on an 04 Chevy Express 5.3, it might be useful if we could record the data when performing the functional tests. Maybe you can and I just haven't figured out how ?
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
    It's occurred to me before but I was just performing an RPM control functional test on an 04 Chevy Express 5.3, it might be useful if we could record the data when performing the functional tests. Maybe you can and I just haven't figured out how ?
    Not always, but usually on a GM product I can save a movie of functional tests with my Solus-Ultra, and in the past with my Solus-PRO. The movie save icon is at the top of the screen, so it's obvious.
    Doesn't work if you're doing the EVAP service bay test though-!!! You can save things as you go thru the drive cycle but after that, pfffft, you have no idea what the ECM was seeing for vacuum or pressure during that test.
    If you just look at normal data groups and get it to self test on it's own, you can save the activity and watch the FTP pid but unless you save a movie EVERY MINUTE, you have no warning when the ECM is "satisfied" and communication stops and then the machine dumps the data in the buffer so you can spend 45-minutes saving movies every minute to capture the event and still not see exactly what the ECM was happy with.

If you accidently knock the DLC loose, you also lose the data in the buffer because when it goes to the no-comm screen what was in there is dumped and you can't simply reconnect and pick up where you left off.

Some imports don't show data activity during test functions either, similar to the GM Service Bay Test.

It would be nice to A-see the data, B-record the data, and C-record the data from a maintained data buffer when things finish or comm is stopped.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

I don't see any save icon with this test ? this is just screen shot.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Bob, you didn't specify any particular tool in your posts. I have been able to save SOME functional tests with Solus-Ultra and Solus-Pro.

If your scteen shot is from a Verus, then you know more about it than I do.. You're absolutely right about it missing and that it should be capable of recording activities.

Even saving movies of "known good" are valuable for obvious reasons.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Is that a little android in a folder on the bottom beside where it identifies the vehicle? ?
          What does it do??
          I'm old enough that goofy little symbols are meaningless and are NOT "intuitive "

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

This is from my Verus 1. The little icon in the lower right is a reminder that an update is available. I'm hesitant to allow any updates over the internet. It might tie up the scanner for a time when I need it. It also might crash it. I'll wait until the dealer has the update on a flash drive. I've had the verus for almost 7 years now and that's a good reminder of why maybe it's best not to have a Scanner/laptop in one. How many 7 year old lap tops are still out there functioning. Things get dated pretty fast in the computer world. Unless you plan on getting a new scanner every few years to keep up with all the changes. I'd like to keep this thing for another five years or so.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

I think he is talking about just to the left of the vehicle ID at the bottom . Maybe a folder of some sort

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

I think the one is an icon of a car in a garage which would be the car you are currently working on. if you click on that it'll bring you to the vehicle history page (short cut). The two cars humping icon is exiting the current vehicle.

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

That was the one I was thinking of Witsend.

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. Now that you've said it, it does look like a car but it looks like a folder so that's the vehicle history.

Thanks guys.

It STILL SHOULD be able to record any activity or test you perform.

Recording and saving data should be a no-brainer with today's equipment. Disappointing that it doesn't.

You're very wise to not allow internet into your equipment. I still have a scanner I first bought 27 years ago, and it still works-!! (for now)

Comment

• sbreland73
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by greasybob
                    The two cars humping icon is exiting the current vehicle.
                    LOL, that is funny Bob!!
                    S. Breland

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

By the way a new PCM cured the idle control problems with 04 Chevy Express 5.3. I back probed the IAC but it's hard to tell if it's responding to the PCM commands by watch the stepper motor voltage so I went with the PCM.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...