X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

After the novely of having the full autoscan feature wore off with DS 708

The first thing I still gravitate to for a basic check engine light is just a Harbor Freight OBD2/ EOB2 code scanner. Pull the codes, do a good inspection , slam any sub $100 pattern failure parts , recheck data , clear code, road test and recheck for pending code. Pull out the heavier artillery and scope only if I need to.

Comment

• maven
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
      The first thing I still gravitate to for a basic check engine light is just a Harbor Freight OBD2/ EOB2 code scanner. Pull the codes, do a good inspection , slam any sub $100 pattern failure parts , recheck data , clear code, road test and recheck for pending code. Pull out the heavier artillery and scope only if I need to.
      This how its done out your way?....I don't rely on the code readers at all that heavily I find that they often can't read every code an ECM has, an OTC/Matco CAN400, HF cheapy both of them don't/can't show all relevant codes, don't give accurate or adequate descriptions of codes, all of which slow down the diagnostic process or even make it impossible. They get brought out for service drive assistance in scheduling or dispatch, clearing a suspect evap code for good customers, but little else. I have never regretted the additional seconds it takes to use a proper scanner for diagnosis, but know of numerous occasions where a cheap code reader has caused the shop to ask a customer for money twice. I find that they are much more likely to pay whatever I ask for if I ask once, but no matter how little you need to ask for on second and subsequent discussions they are less and less likely to say yes. My paychecks rely on YES and I pay thousands of dollars for tools so that I don't have to worry about asking for money multiple times when not absolutely necessary.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by maven
        This how its done out your way?....I don't rely on the code readers at all that heavily I find that they often can't read every code an ECM has, an OTC/Matco CAN400, HF cheapy both of them don't/can't show all relevant codes, don't give accurate or adequate descriptions of codes, all of which slow down the diagnostic process or even make it impossible. They get brought out for service drive assistance in scheduling or dispatch, clearing a suspect evap code for good customers, but little else. I have never regretted the additional seconds it takes to use a proper scanner for diagnosis, but know of numerous occasions where a cheap code reader has caused the shop to ask a customer for money twice. I find that they are much more likely to pay whatever I ask for if I ask once, but no matter how little you need to ask for on second and subsequent discussions they are less and less likely to say yes. My paychecks rely on YES and I pay thousands of dollars for tools so that I don't have to worry about asking for money multiple times when not absolutely necessary.
        Well put Maven. Isn't funny how the level of customers confidence drops off when you call them back and ask for more?

A code reader may have a place in a diagnostic shop, possibly for a service writer for a "first look" or a "feel good" free pre-diagnostic, but I caution my service writer to not "pre-scan" unless it will make the difference between a drop off or drive away. Of course there is the occasional comeback or so the customer thinks after he left his gas cap loose.

Or, those marginal cat issues after a misfire repair. At that point, rather than interrupt a tech, the service writer can get a quick look at the codes, to schedule a drop off or, "sorry it's nothing to do with our repair" etc...

Even then, we keep an ETHOS+ in the service writers office, not a code reader. I don't want "Manufacturer specific code" to come up and be forced to run for a real scanner anyhow.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I say everyone gets a Free Code Scan , just like Autozone will do

Hey Manny, You want to google forums and change a common failure part yourself, that's ok or I can just do it for you? I have much more capable diagnostic equipment and I'll charge you at least a half hour shop time for testing and inspection , or you can just pick up a DPFE sensor, It's a Ford and it's really common failure part, I'll toss it on for $30 and erase the code, but your main priority is the your LF tie rod end here and put the bald tire on the back until you get another used one once you get your VA check at end of month. There's steel cord showing here.

Comment

• KevinN
            • May 2014

Yup

Cold, but true.

Comment

Working...