Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott_65
    • Mar 2012

6.7 Powerstroke - Flashing IQA?

Anybody replaced injectors on a 2011+ Powerstroke 6.7? You have to flash the new Injector Quantity. I purchased and loaded the latest version of Ford's FMP programming subscription like I've done hundreds of times for PCM reflashes. But no IQA available. Any suggestions? Snappy doesn't offer it either on the Verus. I really don't want to lose $100+ to the dealership for a 2 minute process...
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Sounds like Ford wants to keep a proprietary capability in house to milk a few more billion bucks out of people at the dealership level and sell genuine Ford Fuel injectors, until the warranty and development costs are long paid for that's another possible reason why they might be suing Autel, because a DS 708 or Maxi Sys probably can likely do it, and The China man probably say Subscribe to my Liddo Middo Finga.

Comment

• longhungsilver
      • Oct 2013

I believe its not a flashing procedure and it's more of a setup procedure. So you'll need a capable scan tool not a subscription to fmp. Correct me if I'm wrong someone.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Entering injector calibrations cannot currently be accomplished with a Snap-on scanner for the Ford 6.4L or 6.7L engines.
        I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but that's the deal.
        Sorry.
        Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• diesel71
          • Feb 2008

the 6.4 ford diesels do not require injector quantity adjustment.
          the 6.7 ford diesels do require injector quantity changes with injector replacement. to change iqa when replacing an injector it is a service function or functional test. the snapon scanners do not do this and to the best of my knowledge nether does the autel or any scanner that I have played with.
          the fmp program with a pass threw device is a flash file only deal, you cannot perform service function with it. you will need to have a Ids to program the iqa numbers after an injector replacmet.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Because they are Piezo injectors I was certain that they needed IQA programmed. I even went to check the service procedures...not that I could catch you being wrong on a diesel... but I was sure of it.

Anyway....you are correct. The 6.4 does not require programming injector quantities.

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Scott_65
              • Mar 2012

Thanks for the responses. You all are correct, it has to be programmed, and it apparently has to be ford or someone with the full IDS software. I finally got the motorcraft support line to admit that FMP wasn't capable. So its at another shop that has the IDS.

I hope it was just the one injector. It had fuel knock and an intermittent code for #8 contribution. Since we don't have the capability to even kill cylinders, it was nothing more than a guess that the fuel knock and #8 contribution code were one in the same. Upon installing the new injector with no IQA programming, the noise was identical. Hopefully flashing this will fix it

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

did you do a relative compression test?. anytime i get cylinder balance faults or contribution codes I perform a relative compression test, that way you know you have a good mechanical engine and replacing the injector will fix it.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Re relative compression test

did you do a relative compression test?. anytime i get cylinder balance faults or contribution codes I perform a relative compression test, that way you know you have a good mechanical engine and replacing the injector will fix it.

i can do power balance testing with a DS 708 on some Ford gasoline engines, but didn't see an option for any relative compression testing . I imagine that test might have to fall under oscilloscope using a high amp probe on the battery positive cable with an oscilloscope and seeing trigger off #1 fuel injector with an inductive pick up and having to do the math.

Comment

• diesel71
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
                    i can do power balance testing with a DS 708 on some Ford gasoline engines, but didn't see an option for any relative compression testing . I imagine that test might have to fall under oscilloscope using a high amp probe on the battery positive cable with an oscilloscope and seeing trigger off #1 fuel injector with an inductive pick up and having to do the math.
                    you can do relative compression test on any engine using a lab scope and low or high amp probe. I don't do any math no need for it unless I want to know how many amps the starter is drawing. I am looking at a wave fourm to see if all the cylinders are even. a low compression cylinder/bent push rod/collapsed lifter/hole burnt in the piston/bad valve or anything mechanical that will cause a lose of pressure will be seen. then you know if there are mechanical issues and simply replacing the injector wont work. here is a 2005 d-max 6.6 that had #8 injector changed because they had a code for that cylinder and a high balance rate on that hole. why didn't the injector fix it?, because it had very low compression from a washed out cylinder. they did not do a relative or physical compression test(probably lazy or in a hurry).
                    20141209-2026-1.jpg

Comment

• Scott_65
                      • Mar 2012

I did not use a scope as you suggest, although to be perfectly thorough I'm sure I should have. However, when cranking an engine, you can hear if a cylinder is weak, which I specifically listened for. While not scientific by any means, this method can usually indicate an issue. I would think a cylinder that's down by as little as 20ish pounds would show up if you have a good enough ear. I'm not a lazy mechanic, nor do I "throw parts" at vehicles just because the scanner said so. I enjoy what I do, and like everyone, there are certain methods that have served me well over the years.

In my opinion, after hearing enough of these engines with various problems, there is a distinct sound difference between a mechanical knock and a fuel knock. This truck most definitely has a fuel knock. Which is caused by too much fuel being injected into the cylinder. This noise, as far as I know, cannot be produced by valve train issues, washed out cylinders, etc. It can certainly CAUSE these problems, but by then you'll hear that as a different symptom, such as erratic heartbeat when cranking.

Comment

• phill57
                        • Oct 2007

Relative compression test on Ford

Just a comment here. Although I have used an amp clamp to get an idea of relative compression on many systems Ford has a relative compression test that is performed using IDS as a functional test. This test uses crankshaft senor speed fluctuations during a ten second cranking event where you are instructed to hold the throttle wide open (on gas engines) and the ECM kills fuel delivery. At the end of the test you are presented with a bar graph representing the cylinder compression. It's quite useful, especially on a diesel and does not require you even open the hood. I didn't see the test available on the Maxysis scanner and it's not available on the Snapon Scanners probably because the data refresh rate is about 1/5 of the IDS software. In the attached screen shots a cylinder balance shows lower contribution of all three cylinders on one bank and then the relative compression test shows the same three cylinders have weak compression. Pretty sweet!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

I have always loved having Power balance, Relative Compression test, and Relative Fuel Injector flow tests Ford has had available since the late 90's starting with the SBDS and up.
                          MaxiDas does have power balance , but wish it had the other 2.

Comment

• phill57
                            • Oct 2007

Maxisys Power Balance

Originally posted by Witsend
                            I have always loved having Power balance, Relative Compression test, and Relative Fuel Injector flow tests Ford has had available since the late 90's starting with the SBDS and up.
                            MaxiDas does have power balance , but wish it had the other 2.
                            Yes they do but the refresh rate sucks. I suspect that's why they don't have the relative compression test.

Comment

Working...