Making your Verus better

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claytons Automotive
    • Jun 2010

I truly like my VERUS, I like a lot of the options and the fact it has onboard diagnostic abilities(advantage). What I truly don't understand is why oh why in the age of modern processors did they put the Celeron in it? They can't use the excuse of battery life or heat, cause I am a computer geek as well, and I can list off over two dozen cheaper, more energy efficient, cooler running and WAYY faster modern cpu's including matching controller chipsets (AKA motherboards) that were available over three years ago... let alone what is available today!!!! For the money we have dished out and continue to dish out for updates Snap On needs to get off thier asses and take care of us loyal customers by fixing what could be a revolutionary piece of shop equipment, instead of letting us down with an over priced solitaire game. Snap On reps I hope you are reading this, cause I really mean it, you need to step up to the plate here, stop defending yourselves and fix this problem.

Comment

• Trindaddy
      • Jan 2010

Opining

Originally posted by Wheel
      Comparing cars to scanners is comparing apples to hamburgers. Before 10.4 A Verus could do way more than a Modis as far as presenting your data, but since 10.4, I would second your advice in trading a Verus for a Modis.

Since Snap On doesn't release Verus software separately, the
      laptop would do you no good - if you wanted to use Snap On software.
      Besides, 90% of the fun of having a fast car is being the one who built it.
      The look on the guy's face who just bought his GT mustang when you
      blow by him with the Toyota Corolla or equivalent sleeper that YOU built is
      priceless. It's just something you have to do to understand.
      Whose comparing cars to computers? Its called an analogy (though admittedly a little sarcastic).
      I said I like a Modis AND a good laptop, not a laptop running S.O software. That way the only real advantage of the Verus, in my opinion, being on the network, is handled by a real computer. IE: Shop key, websites, printing, flash programming, interface modules etc.
      Lastly, if doin up the corolla is your cup of tea then great! I don't have that kind of time myself. Besides, whose talking about the art of building a street rod? I was simply making an analogy! FYI, i have been there. I would still rather make a fast car go faster than tub out the corolla, just me.

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Trindaddy
        Whose comparing cars to computers? Its called an analogy (though admittedly a little sarcastic).
        I said I like a Modis AND a good laptop, not a laptop running S.O software. That way the only real advantage of the Verus, in my opinion, being on the network, is handled by a real computer. IE: Shop key, websites, printing, flash programming, interface modules etc.
        Lastly, if doin up the corolla is your cup of tea then great! I don't have that kind of time myself. Besides, whose talking about the art of building a street rod? I was simply making an analogy! FYI, i have been there. I would still rather make a fast car go faster than tub out the corolla, just me.
        A Modis is definitely a good tool, and a 10.4 Modis is better in my opinion
        to a 10.4 verus. Not so with a 10.2 - earlier Verus. Having used both, it
        would be hard to go back to a Modis and do without a Verus - there are a
        number of advantages in how info is presented both by scanner & scope, and
        there are definite advantages in navigating through it. Both are top-notch
        aftermarket scanners. I think it is still a good idea to have a separate computer in addition to the Verus, because I feel it's too risky to get a 10 grand or so scantool on the internet with all the malware out there waiting to turn it into an expensive paperweight, and I don't want to cripple it with anti-malware software.

I agree I'd rather restore a classic muscle car, but I also enjoy silencing
        some of these rich preppy types around here, and doing it with a total
        piece of junk (the junkier the better) adds more insult to injury, therefore
        more satisfaction. Unfortunately, like you I no longer have the time I once had
        to enjoy this.

Your post gave me another chance to tell Snap On why I thought 10.4 was
        slowing things down and locking up more, etc, but I hear they are working
        on it.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• cazman408
          • May 2011

What the Verus should be

What the SNAP-ON platform VERUS should be / Craig Zale 07/08/2011

Intel Coreâ„¢ i5-2520M vProâ„¢ Processor
          - 2.5GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
          - Intel Smart Cache 3MB /
          320GB 7200rpm shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive
          128GB & 256GB reinforced flex-connect SSD
          /8GB SDRAM (DDR3-1333MHz) standard /
          Intel® high definition audio compliant
          Integrated speaker /PC card type II x 1
          SD Card (SDXC)
          ExpressCard/54 x 1 /Docking connector
          VGA
          Headphones/speaker
          Microphone/line-In
          Serial
          Ext. antenna conn. (x2)
          USB 2.0 (x3)
          IEEEE 1394a (FireWire)
          100/1000 Ethernet
          /Optional integrated LTE 4G mobile broadband or
          integrated Gobi2000 3G mobile broadband/
          Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 802.11a/b/g/n
          Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR (Class 1)
          Dual high-gain antenna pass-through /Lithium Ion battery pack (11.1V, typical 5600mAh, minimum 5300mAh)
          Battery operation: 9 hours (touchscreen), 8.5 hours (dual touch)
          Battery charging time: 3.5 hours
          AC Adapter:AC 100V-240V 50/60Hz
          ***this is what it will take to put snap-on diagnostics back on top.*****************
          We already pay the top price for it, hell I would pay another $2000.00 grand if it would just get done, or at least make it an option. The rest is great.
          By the way after the last 11.2 my unit had so many holes in it and ran so poorly that my delaer sent it back to the mother ship 1999 to "fix it".
          Ok I got it back and it does /Load and run at an acceptable speed.
          Used the lab scope / on a 2002 F250 SD 7.3 but I could not find it listed,so I used the E250 7.3 to get a Cam/Crank sensor hook up diagram.
          Some day some one there will listen and tell us they are and will fix it.
          I remember a time when Snap-On meant the best and the people there really worked for that goal rather than what makes the best P&l report.
          We the Snap-On customer are about buying quality and not what is the cheapest. Snap-on coined the phrase "if you have to ask you probably cannot afford it".

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Uh, well, a computer like that in the heat we get, it would melt pretty quick. Consider the cooling requirements of all that power. Verus users are already having to deal with heat issues. And what are we diagnosing? The space shuttle? We put a man on the moon with computers made with vacuum tubes and punch cards. I wish someone from Snappy would finally explain WHY they chose the hardware setup they did. I assure you, being cheap was not on top of the list. I have built various desktops and home theater computers for Friends and family, based on their computing needs, and the complaint I hear the most is "This thing sure gets loud when I use so and so program." I have offered to use water cooling, but nobody wants to worry with the maintenance. Have you heard the woes the users of the Panasonic "Tough Book" have gone through?My two Lincolns.
            S. Breland

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, have any of you tried switching your settings to best performance? Right click My Computer > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Adjust for best performance. It takes your OS to the old Win98 look, but it is on the quicker side. And for those using an SSD, increase your page file to something like 4 GB. HTH.
              S. Breland

Comment

Working...