Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longhungsilver
    • Oct 2013

Chrysler question

Hey there, Im new to my pass thru pro II (actually just ordered it don't have it yet). I have experience reflashing with the IDS and Tech II only.

I've been trying to do my homework and read what you fine people are posting about flashing chryslers. I have a bit of confusion though.

I've read that you should disconnect the SKIM before doing the programming event. Is that only when putting in a used or new module though? How about just reflashing a PCM in the vehicle for a TSB or whatnot? In that case is there still issues with SKIM code loss?

anyone that can clear this up, or has any other information on chrysler reflashes is greatly appreciated
  • jm43130
    • Apr 2008

i HAVE NEVER HAD TO UNPLUG SKIM YET FOR JUST A REFLASH. I THINK PROBLEM IS INSTALLING A NEW PCM. YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL BECAUSE PSP2 CAN'T SET SKIM CODES IN "CAN" EQUIPPED PCM'S WHICH STARTED IN 2005 WITH DURANGO'S AND A FEW OTHER. YOUR TOOLBOX MENU WILL LET YOU RESET SKIM BEFORE THESE MODELS AND NON "CAN" PCM'S. ALSO J2534 TOOLBOX HAS HINTS AND INFO IN FLASHING FOLDERS THAT PERTAIN TO EACH MANUFACTURER. YOU WILL NOTICE IT SAYS TO NOT EVEN TRY CUMMINS DIESEL REFLASHES BECAUSE OF VIN WRITE PROBLEMS AND CAUSING A NO START.

Comment

• longhungsilver
      • Oct 2013

So on pre can pcms if you are installing a new PCM then you use the skim reset in the toolbox instead of disconnecting the skim module? I'm assuming the reset allows the PCM to pickup the SKIM code from the SKIM module or BCM?

Comment

• jm43130
        • Apr 2008

No It Actually Doesn't. It Will Set A Code P0620, "i Think" In Pcm Which Is Skim Not Set. It Doesn't Turn On Check Engine Light, But It Does Allow Vehicle To Start. If You Want Skim Set In Pcm You Still Need Oem Scan Tool. It Does Not Work On "can" Vehicles And They Won't Start. This Was Just A Work Around They Put In J2534 Toolbox 3 That Lets It Work For Us.

Comment

• longhungsilver
          • Oct 2013

Really good information JM thanks! Can't wait to give it all a try, should have my PTP2 next week. Anymore information anyone wants to give about flashing dodges is appreciated.

Also any information about using separate partitions or separate laptops for different makes. I see a lot of conflicting information about this on the internet.

Comment

• allpointsprogram
            • Oct 2013

just did one today 07 dodge durango

all you have to do is just reset skim and enter the vin and skim code with your Autel scanner very easy if you don't the car will not start and will set code in all modules

Comment

• longhungsilver
              • Oct 2013

I have 2 problems there....
              1) I don't have an Autel scanner
              2) I dont have access to skim codes

Comment

• allpointsprogram
                • Oct 2013

skim code

you need another tools to do skim code reprogramming otherwise you wont be able to do this without it , passthur device is only good for reprogram ecm for new calibration but when it comes to key and skim code and security without other tools its worthless

Comment

• longhungsilver
                  • Oct 2013

Yeah i understand that. Im just trying to see if theres a way I can avoid having an issue as I have yet to flash a chrysler. JM43130 was of the opinion reflashing a module (not replacing) with an updated calibration shouldnt cause the skim to be lost. This is information I am after. It also appears with the J2534 Toolbox you can replace a pre CAN dodge PCM without skim issues if you use the skim tools in the toolbox. But a CAN dodge you will need a SKIM capable tool apparantly. This is what I gather anyways.

Comment

• elzarra
                    • Nov 2013

there is a company (auto computer exchange) that I often order chrysler/jeep/dodge PCM's for jeep grand cherokee with skim and oteher ones like RAM 2004 with skim also. I asked them to delete skim ant they send me a PCM with out skim, all I need to do is disconect the skim and leaved unpluged. car will star every time with skim disconected.

do you know how they do this?

thanks

Comment

• longhungsilver
                      • Oct 2013

well I have a update. flashed an 04 dodge ram 5.7 for an egr issue. didn't disconnect the skim as it was just a reflash and not a pcm replacement and it went off without a hitch. so it appears no danger of loosing the skim on just a pcm reflash (as long as its not a Cummins)

Comment

Working...