Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Vantage Ultra missing features

Just wanted to post a few things that I noticed now that I have access to a Vantage Ultra. First and foremost I strongly believe that the next generation tools should at least do what the predecessor did and then some. Case in point: I go to do an alternator diode ripple test with the Vantage Ultra. Go into labscope and there are no presets as there were with the old VP. I used them all the time, just saves time and helps out the novice techs who don't know how to set up a lab scope. So I continue and set up the amplitude, time base, turn on AC coupling, move the waveform to the middle of the screen, turn off the trigger and I get a nice normal looking wave form. It was of course recording as usual. I click on the Save icon and get a message that saving large files will take some time. Boy that's an understatement. Had to wait like 3 to 4 minutes during which you can't do anything with the tool. So finally once that has saved I look for the option to save the preset and I can't find it! You can"t save a scope set up?? It would have been so nice. I think I'm going to keep my VP. Too bad cause this form factor is quite nice. Lets hope that future releases of the software add these capabilities back again. Oh well at least is is able to graph resistance, My Verus running 14.4 still can't do that.
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Well what revelation-!! Larger files take longer-!
    They state it themselves yet they use 750KB Bitmap screen shots in the SOLUS ULTRA.
    Are they still FRIVOLOUSLY USING UP STORAGE SPACE for screenshots with the Vantage ULTRA-??

Saving movies with the Solus PRO is MUCH FASTER than the Solus ULTRA.
    I would bet that saving movies with the Vantage PRO is much faster than with the "new and improved" Vantage Ultra too.

WHEEL has been ticked off about the removal of features and capabilities and so am I.

Dumping the data buffer if communication is lost for whatever reason is ludicrous as you lose what you had so painfully taken the time to capture.

So what if it has taken them ten years to put ohms graphing back into one of the tools.
    IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN REMOVED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

It seems as if they make one step forward with new pieces of hardware and take three steps backwards with software and we're supposed to be happy with one step being restored sometime in the future.

This is "progress"-?????

Removing presets makes things slower and also a less attractive tool for finding some kind of signal that we may not be familiar with.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

I can freeze the screen on my old Counselor with the remote control and push print and what's froze on the screen takes an agonizing minute or two to print it out. I got at least $500 tied up in this thing and I'm thinking I might have to put a SSD in it or a S&W to it one of these days
      I'm sure if the Vantage Ultra is taking 3 minutes to save a screen shot for a good reason it's not just saving the image you froze on the screen . It is probably sifting through a3 second event recorded frame by frame and finding the exact match for the image on screen sorta like an NCIS computer has to do for locating a fingerprints match to print out for you.
      Last edited by Witsend; 10-13-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• phill57
        • Oct 2007

Additional Issues/Short Commings

Noticed a couple other slight issues.

1. The Ohm Meter function is only accurate to 0.0 ohms, not 0.00 ohms as the VP is.

2. The fact that it has an internal, rechargeable battery, not removable like the VP will be an issue. 3 hours expected life before recharge and it wont obviously recharge off the vehicle line the Solus Ultra and Solus Edge cause there is no DLC connection to 12 volts. At least with the VP you could swap a battery in a second and continue. It was nice actually having a spare battery.

3. Saving a recorded file is very sloooooooooooow. Why is that? Takes longer to save it then it does to record it it seems.

Comment

• DrDiesel1
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by phill57
          Noticed a couple other slight issues.

1. The Ohm Meter function is only accurate to 0.0 ohms, not 0.00 ohms as the VP is.

2. The fact that it has an internal, rechargeable battery, not removable like the VP will be an issue. 3 hours expected life before recharge and it wont obviously recharge off the vehicle line the Solus Ultra and Solus Edge cause there is no DLC connection to 12 volts. At least with the VP you could swap a battery in a second and continue. It was nice actually having a spare battery.

3. Saving a recorded file is very sloooooooooooow. Why is that? Takes longer to save it then it does to record it it seems.
          Where did you get this GEM of incorrect information ?

IT'S NOT A SCAN TOOL

You're just full of misinformation. Are you posting this random babble for the entertainment value ?

Comment

• phill57
            • Oct 2007

Random Babble

Originally posted by DrDiesel1
            Where did you get this GEM of incorrect information ?

IT'S NOT A SCAN TOOL

You're just full of misinformation. Are you posting this random babble for the entertainment value ?
            Well I was pointing out some of the disadvantages of the new improved Vantage Ultra. I am well aware that it is not a scan tool just noting that since the battery is now internal like the Solus Ultra and Edge it cannot be swapped out quickly if you are using it and the battery runs down. Those tools of course charge while connected to the vehicle.

Comment

• Solees
              • Oct 2014

Of which there is no use for in a component tester to maintain portability.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Well I was pointing out some of the disadvantages of the new improved Vantage Ultra. I am well aware that it is not a scan tool just noting that since the battery is now internal like the Solus Ultra and Edge it cannot be swapped out quickly if you are using it and the battery runs down. Those tools of course charge while connected to the vehicle.
                Phil57; I think DrDiesel1 is the one with the "Random Babble".

On the fly, change out the battery, good to go again. The "New & Improved" tool doesn't do that.
                As I've said, they come up with "new" tools and they seem to get worse in true user functionality with each new incarnation.

Sad and disappointing.

Comment

• maven
                  • Mar 2014

They really do need to come out with an auxiliary charger, I agree.

As far as the resolution of the ohmmeter, its basically a non-issue. Because if youre truly worried about ohmmeter accuracy and resolution you shouldnt be using the VP in the first place.

The VP has a resolution of +/-(1.5% +2 digits.)

The Fluke 87 is an industry standard level meter, and it has .01 resolution with (0.4% + 1 digit) accuracy.

On actual 0.1ohm measurement this makes the Fluke about 48% more accurate at these very low readings....And you can pick one up new with a lifetime warranty for under $400....Lets not even talk about something like the Fluke 289 for accuracy or the fact that the Vantage isnt hybrid safe/capable.....Just sayin.

Im not sweating the disappearing decimal on the Ultras, because I dont use it for things where it would matter...neither should you.

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Maven; You bring up a good point

It should have a battery that can be changed EASILY
                    It should have an auxiliary charger
                    It should be industry standard in its' accuracy & reliability

These are supposed to be professional level tools & equipment

Comment

• DrDiesel1
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Crusty
                      Phil57; I think DrDiesel1 is the one with the "Random Babble".

On the fly, change out the battery, good to go again. The "New & Improved" tool doesn't do that.
                      As I've said, they come up with "new" tools and they seem to get worse in true user functionality with each new incarnation.

Sad and disappointing.
                      I see you're clueless and misinformed as well. The battery is accessible and easily removed if you had another one. It also comes with an external charger and allows you use it while it's charging. They've eliminated the useless interim charger stand. Just plug in the unit and charge the battery.

Really no need to buy a second battery and charging station

Comment

• maven
                        • Mar 2014

DrDiesel, the reason guys want a second battery and charging stand is because unless you wanna work with a 120V power cord, the 120V charger and its cord running through your work area, the Vantage Ultra cant work for much than about 3hrs at a time. Having an auxiliary charging station would allow you keep a fresh battery available and not have to work with extra wires and cords in your area or keep working in an area with no access to power. Also the Pro was able to change the battery without tools, the Ultra requires tools.

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

You're right Maven.
                          No cords or cables restricting movement. Under the hood, under the dash, under the vehicle.

Change out the battery??..... cover off, squeeze tab and out comes the battery, in goes the new battery and cover back on.
                          Total time to change out......

About FOUR FREAKIN SECONDS.
                          Back in business.

Comment

• phill57
                            • Oct 2007

Any changes with 15.2 update?

Im not sure if there has been an update released for the Vantage Ultra but if there has been, does anybody notice if anything has changed? IE, saving a scope preset.

Thanks

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                              • Feb 2012

Im not sure if there has been an update released for the Vantage Ultra but if there has been, does anybody notice if anything has changed? IE, saving a scope preset.

Thanks
                              Have requested that feature many times, still not available. Last few updates have been database only so far as I can tell.

Comment

Working...