X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Dissapointed with Snap-On Again

Again have been let down by Snap-On.

Trying to replace an Air Bag Module on a 2007 Tahoe. Have the Verus with 12.4 software and the PassThrough Pro 2 as a J2534 programmer. Connected to GM SPS and paid for the two days access as usual. Program the SDM, (air bage controller) with the proper software and options. So far so good. Now need to set up the SDM. Can't do that with the PTP2 so connect the Verus. Option is in the air bag setup but the Verus says "this process must be done with a compatible J2534 programmer" and it won't perform it. Setup of the SDM Primary Key in the BCM is no problem but can't do the Setup New SDM. Cleared all codes at least in the controllers we can view and no codes are present but the SIR lamp flashes continually. Information in Alldata says this is do to incomplete programming or wrong options. Reflashed again, double checking the options and tried again. Still same problem. Had to go borrow a Tech2 to Setup the SDM. $15,000.00 worth of hardware and still can't do the job. I am going to call tech support on Monday and see what they have to say.

I guess you can tell i'm frustrated.

Cross posted in the Verus Forum as well.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Phil

Was the tech2 able to do it? I just did a 2013 Caddy SDM and got the same message, however I did have codes. The bodyshop missed a retractor AND I had a code, not programmed or mis-programmed SDM. After replacing the retractor I was able to perform the Set-up which is the last step and all was well.

Steve

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

Set up SDM

Yes the Tech2 was able to do it. I guess I should have tried the PTP2 with the Verus. I forgot to mention I was using my laptop with the PTP2. I played around a bit with SPS loaded on the Verus and it might have worked. I'll update this after I speak with Snap-On Tech Support.

After I originally flashed the SDM with the PTP2 and my laptop, I did the set up primary key in BCM with the Verus and that worked but not the Setup New SDM. I had no codes in any computer and the air bag light was flashing and would not stop.

Oh well we will have to see next time.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

It would not have mattered if you flashed the SDM with the Verus or a Laptop. On the 2013 Caddy I did I Programmed the SDM with the PTP and a PC then did the Primary key and setup with my Verus. Again I had codes and you didn't. My software is newer then yours, maybe if there was an issue it has been corrected. Only reason I can think of, it wasn't the vehicle as the Tech2 did the job.
        Steve

Comment

• badcoupe
          • Jan 2011

I do lots of these and haven't had any trouble setting them up with my verus, although I tyypically use tech2 win with my ptp when I do them. I have setup probably 40 sdm's of varying years with my verus though.

Comment

• derktins
            • Oct 2012

I've dont these with the Solus Ultra with 13.4 with no problems many times. Odd that it had no codes, since a new module which hasn't been setup will usually have at least one code (can't recall the code #) that more or less says that the setup is incomplete.

So, the setup was completed with a Tech 2 and there were no other problems?

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

Did you get a message "The setup procedure will first check to see if setup is required " ?

Comment

• phill57
                • Oct 2007

Set up SDM

Originally posted by greasybob
                Did you get a message "The setup procedure will first check to see if setup is required " ?
                Thanks Bob.

Yes I did get the message that "This will check to see if a setup is required" and yes it did say it was required. When I selected the option to perform the setup that is when I got the message that "this function requires a J2534 Passthrough Device or equivalent". I'm kicking myself for not taking a screen capture of it.

Spoke with tech support yesterday and he said he was unaware as to why the setup would not execute. Said he would forward the case to the software engineers. We had a good discussion about this and other issues. I guess I will just have to wait and see if I ever have to do this again. Said it could be due to the fact I am still running 12.4 software and the Setup Primary Key in BCM was just added with that release. The Setup new SDM may now work with 13.4??

Comment

• transporter
                  • Jun 2012

IMO, when programming you should always use the latest software.

Comment

• phill57
                    • Oct 2007

Latest Software

Originally posted by transporter
                    IMO, when programming you should always use the latest software.
                    I agree with you but..... If a function of the software that I paid for already does not perform as it is supposed to, why should I have to pay for updated software to fix this. This has been an ongoing complaint that most of us have with SnapOn. How many service patches have we seen on the Verus lately. Even when they do release a patch they never tell us what they fixed or tried to fix.

Comment

Working...