Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

Question eBay Snapon Scanners

So I once purchased a tool from eBay and the snapon guy would not update it bc he said it might be stolen or something. Had to return it bc I was not keeping a tool that couldn't go beyond 2014 since that's how it came. Is this true? Or do snapon sellers don't want to update tools bc you know, money. Thanks for reading my problem.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

So I once purchased a tool from eBay and the snapon guy would not update it bc he said it might be stolen or something. Had to return it bc I was not keeping a tool that couldn't go beyond 2014 since that's how it came. Is this true? Or do snapon sellers don't want to update tools bc you know, money. Thanks for reading my problem.
    Did he run the serial number and then tell you that it can't be updated? If it was on that Ellusive Sh@t list of scanners that have unpaid debt left on it or reported stolen to collect insurance settlement to get out of debt and get a China-man Tool, consider your self lucky that it didn't get taken away.

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
      I believe this to be false, as I had bought a legacy Solus off ebay years ago, and my Snappy rep updated twice a year for three years. Granted, he knew not where it came from. Have also worked along side techs that have purchased the older Modis units, and they were never denied updates.
      S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Not all Used Snap On Scanners you buy off E-bay necessarily will have unpaid debt or have been reported stolen, so the serial number would not be on the Elusive Sh@t list. I would think that Not all dealers would want to play "Dog The Bounty Hunter and deal with drama and extra time they would be tied up repossessing or recovering a stolen unit on the truck, calling police, filling out corporate paperwork, and losing a regular tool customer . He would likely just tell you that it might be stolen, so he can't update it.
        Still think if Snappy provided a way to search a used unit's serial number to make sure it is not a Stolen / unpaid debt list and the word gets out, it would make stolen ones harder to sell , and sellers would have to deal with greater risk of being caught trying to unload stolen property. The problem is Snappy wants all used Scanners to be bought, traded and sold by authorized dealers and the folk that want to buy cheaper off Flea Bay and Craigslist will do all the legwork to recover the scanners with unpaid debt . Win Win for SO Lose Lose for you if you bring in to update and the dealer actually would take it and calls the cops.
        Thinking you can get around that risk by buying updates online ? Think again .What happens after you pay $999 or whatever for your online update and you get your key and you enter the unit serial number and the # is on the Elusive Sh@t list and you cannot register it and have to call corporate to set up something up with a local dealer for a certain procedure he has to do with it . I think there is less mystery , worry , aggravation, and risk buying something new for an extra $300 off the Slow Boat in China then updating a Flea Bay or Craigslist used Snappy one for the want of checking a serial number before you buy something used that could result in losing it later.
        Thinking of Buying used Snap On Scanner but not sure if it may be reported stolen or have unpaid debt. Dial 1-800 --- ---- . $50 Reward for information leading to recovery of such scanner. Thank you.

Web Hosting from Just Host. Professional Web hosting services with free domain name, unlimited web hosting space and unlimited bandwidth.
        Last edited by Witsend; 08-27-2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
          Next time call the Support team with the serial number before you buy it. They can tell you whether the tool is stolen or not paid off. Then your dealer will have no excuses.

I get the impression there are some dealers, or people associated with dealers, that are selling scanners just over their cost from Snappy.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
            • Apr 2011

Thank you so much guys! I will first call snapon and ask them if the tool is stolen or not fully paid to make sure my snapon guy has no excuse to not want to update the tool. Money is tight over here and I would love to have a Solus Edge since I want one just for scanning and adapting modules etc.

Comment

Working...