Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasprd
    • Jan 2008

Vantage Coverage of Dodge/Cummins Diesel

I have a Vantage with version 5.0 - nominal coverage is through 2000. I just bought a '96 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins 5.9L, and that engine option is not available in the 5.0 version. I know there are not as much electronics on this engine, but it seems to me that it ought to be on the menu.

Is this engine covered on a later version of the Vantage database, and if so, what version?

Thanks in advance - any help you can give is much appreciated!
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Hi Tex,
    On a '96 Cummins I believe there are only 3 sensors. A TPS, IAT and Crank Sensor. The IAT and TPS are just like any other sensor, on any other Dodge, so you should have no trouble checking them. Bad TPSs are VERY common on these trucks, and give erratic shifting and torque converter operation. The crank sensor makes an AC signal at a pretty slow rate. When it dies you'll have no alternator charging, no 4th gear and no TCC engagement.
    I don't know about you...but I sure as heck wouldn't buy an update for 3 sensors on one vehicle, even if it was available. Either way, I'm not sure updates are still available for the Vantage, but you might find one left on a Dealer's truck.
    Joe

...Oh! Maybe 4 sensors. There's a battery temp sensor too.
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• texasprd
      • Jan 2008

Joe,

I've seen V6.0 & V7.0 cards available in online auctions (I'm sure you can figure out what site). But you're right - it's not really worth pursuing them for the four sensors you mention.

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

You're welcome, and welcome to the group. There's a good bunch of guys here. No grouchy people, no on-line bullies, just a bunch of Techs that don't mind helping each other out. There'a also a few Snap-on Diagnostics Corporate guys here that can get answers to some pretty tough questions. Best of all, they watch what goes on here to help improve the tools and software updates. Got any sofware coverage suggestions? Check out the "What I want in my Scan Tool" discussion board on this site. Please post any suggestions there, or feel free to comment on any other threads there.
        Later,
        Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

Working...