X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

4 wheel alignment Active Driver Assist Cal Combo

I would think that correct wheel alignment and ADAS calibration could and should be done all together, all in one shot on one rack using the same damn wheel head mounting fixtures on the same rack , with as much of the same equipment as possible.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

James

This kind of relates to what you were talking about.

Absolute Alignment sells the latest digital and Bluetooth wheel alignment equipment from around the world. Top performance and affordable sale or lease.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

After a car is 5 or 10 years old people will just want the tires not to wear out and want the car alignment done so the car goes down the road straight and the ADAS systems turned off, and replace the broken windshield or mirror with cheap aftermarket replacements.
      All these ADAS systems should be on one Bus with a orange handled safety disconnect plug to disconnect everything with a little light on the dash that says ADAS OFF until they can get the system calibrated, and you have them sign a waiver and send them on their merry way.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
        After a car is 5 or 10 years old people will just want the tires not to wear out and want the car alignment done so the car goes down the road straight and the ADAS systems turned off, and replace the broken windshield or mirror with cheap aftermarket replacements.
        All these ADAS systems should be on one Bus with a orange handled safety disconnect plug to disconnect everything with a little light on the dash that says ADAS OFF until they can get the system calibrated, and you have them sign a waiver and send them on their merry way.

My own thoughts are 10+ years, I can't imagine someone spending 60K on a vehicle and in 5 years driving around with lights on and no cruise control. Plus A LOT of people like these safety features of course that is until they have to pay for repairing them. Also I have heard (not sure how true it is ) that some states may require an ADAS check on yearly inspections.

However I didn't post this to get into a debate about the need for these systems or if you should be able to disconnect them some how. I just wanted techs here to see how a simple "normal" service can create other problems. I have also seen first hand that these systems can be calibrated incorrectly and have no lights on or codes, but the system didn't work correctly.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

IMO If there is any chance a non calibrated system can cause a car to veer out of it's intended path and cause property damage, injury, and liability to anyone until it's done , then besides The Right to Repair there should be a built in Safety Disconnect of these Systems for a Safety Measure to cover our butts and a Right to Not HAVE TO Repair and a way to safely Disconnect an affected system and or Disable the entire system and drive vehicle as is without ADAS and live with a warning of ADAS disabled until they decide to get their system calibrated at the dealer, so it's not on me or you to have to get er done with a questionable set up from the Orient in a parking lot.
          What shop have a large white pristine room you can dedicate solely to targets doing ADAS calibration to cover your butt from liability after a stupid wheel alignment?

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

So.... I guess any conversation about ADAS systems is just going to wind up going in the same old circle with you?

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

So.... I guess any conversation about ADAS systems is just going to wind up going in the same old circle with you?
              Today 02:32 PM
              I'm just basically saying you should be able to replace a windshield , mirror , or a worn out or bent suspension part of a car and perform a basic wheel alignment and not be held over the barrel and required by law to calibrate the car's ADAS system components afterwards. There should be a Safety Bus plug to disconnect turn it all off and a message on dash saying ADAS OFF. Then release the vehicle to customer with instructions to bring to the dealer or certified ADAS specialty shop with the factory equipment to calibrate the ADAS system or the customer can just opt to leave it all turned off like a passenger airbag with a key switch.

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

And once again I did not add to this post to once again debate this topic. Like I had told you in another post if you feel that strongly about it join NASTF and get involved.

Comment

Working...