Counselor-2 loosing Cranking amps function?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Counselor-2 loosing Cranking amps function?

Earlier this week, tested and displayed 4 out of 6 cylinders on a 3.4L GM with DIS (3 coils)that led me to believe a coil and module had failed.
    Today I ran the cranking amps function on a 95 Tahoe 5.7 with conventional distributor ignition 3 times and it quit after displaying only 5 out of 8 cylinders each time.
    Not sure what is causing it not to display all 8 cylinders
  • Rich Shepherd
    Snap-on D&I
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Witsend
    Earlier this week, tested and displayed 4 out of 6 cylinders on a 3.4L GM with DIS (3 coils)that led me to believe a coil and module had failed.
    Today I ran the cranking amps function on a 95 Tahoe 5.7 with conventional distributor ignition 3 times and it quit after displaying only 5 out of 8 cylinders each time.
    Not sure what is causing it not to display all 8 cylinders
    Been a long time since I used the Counselor 2, but in general when a test on a piece of equipment like that displays less than the number of cylinders the engine has, the unit is seeing extra trigger signals from the number 1 lead.
    Try moving it to a different place on the wire. The noise may be coming directly from another plug wire near the pickup or it could be crosstalk between the wires and the pickup is detecting it. Neither is necessarily an indication of bad plug wires though. I wouldn't replace plug wires for that reason alone. Try running the test without the trigger lead, if will run and then displays all the cylinders, that would be a good indication the trigger lead was seeing extra firing events. On an engine that is not waste spark, you could move it to a different cylinder to see if you get better results. If you do, then just renumber the results by going thru the firing order starting with the cylinder the pickup is on.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Thanks Rich, will do.
      Was there any less bulky trigger lead with barrel connector attachment that could be used in place of the block shaped red #1 pickup?

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
        Snap-on D&I
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Witsend
        Thanks Rich, will do.
        Was there any less bulky trigger lead with barrel connector attachment that could be used in place of the block shaped red #1 pickup?
        Not that I remember, didn't see anything else in the manual.
        If it looks like a #1 triggering issue, sometimes if moving the pickup to a dif location on the wire or to a dif wire does not help, doing things like putting a piece of foil around the pickup or around the plug wire next to the pickup and grounding it may help, you just never know what might help.

Comment

• jm43130
          • Apr 2008

My Counselor has a gray elongated #1 pickup, just like the trigger lead I use for Verus ignition testing. The Counselor has a round barrel connector, but Verus pickup is 7 pin connector serial data, like a VGA connector. I also just sent in SO timing light, and it came back with new leads that now uses same elongated gray type #1 pickup.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

If you have a picture and part # of the long grey pickup and end of it's barrel connector I certainly would be grateful. If I get one I could then get into tighter areas and maybe use #1injector pigtail in tighter areas on COP cars.

Comment

Working...