Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Verus Edge font size and contrast.

Just got a new Edge running 17.4 coming from a Pro running 17.2 and I find it hard to see the text. Why did they decide on blue text on a white background for the PID list and grey on black in the graphs. I wish there was some way to customize it for better contrast. It would also be nice to be able to change the text size. I tried changing it in Windows to 125% but one of my other programs couldn't deal with that so I had to go back. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm sure I'm not the only senior Tech who has trouble seeing.
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
    Just got a new Edge running 17.4 coming from a Pro running 17.2 and I find it hard to see the text. Why did they decide on blue text on a white background for the PID list and grey on black in the graphs. I wish there was some way to customize it for better contrast. It would also be nice to be able to change the text size. I tried changing it in Windows to 125% but one of my other programs couldn't deal with that so I had to go back. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm sure I'm not the only senior Tech who has trouble seeing.
    One of the things the 10.2 software could do that they took away and never gave back was the ability to change text size within the program.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
      One of the things the 10.2 software could do that they took away and never gave back was the ability to change text size within the program.
      I tend to agree with you on a couple of things WHEEL.

Font size really shouldn't be an issue and should be adjustable. Should be a no-brainer with today's computer systems. Maybe not as many variables as is on a full size computer but certainly some.

Another thing that is MORE CRITICAL that you keep bringing up is BACK-UP and RESTORE capabilities at the USER end of things.

Dumbing DOWN our equipment is NOT going to make the trade any better. Quite the opposite actually.

Comment

• phill57
        • Oct 2007

Font Size and !0.2

Originally posted by Wheel
        I was going to mention this but probably you and I are the only ones who remember.

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
          I tend to agree with you on a couple of things WHEEL.

Font size really shouldn't be an issue and should be adjustable. Should be a no-brainer with today's computer systems. Maybe not as many variables as is on a full size computer but certainly some.

Yep, 10.2 did this very nicely and simply - and what's better, it didn't impact other installed programs, either.

Another thing that is MORE CRITICAL that you keep bringing up is BACK-UP and RESTORE capabilities at the USER end of things.

Exactly. MANY hours are spent adding programs and tweaking these things even before the first car is scanned or scoped, and a re - image - which just ruins all this work - just isn't a good option anymore.
          I bought a Seagate 2gb usb 3 laptop style drive, made a small partition on it & installed Seagate's version of Acronis on it. Then I boot from this and
          image the entire drive with all partitions, then the individual partitions also right off the bat in case I mess something up. Then I load my programs & do my tweaking, then back this up the same way. Every time I get the next update, it gets the same treatment. This has already saved our bacon when a co - worker accidentally did a system restore on the edge - ruining hours of work.
          I just simply plugged in my 2 tb drive and restored the main partition to how I had it, & it didn't take long and we were back in business.
          Since Snap on won't give us the means to have multiple versions of the diagnostic software on the same tool, then perhaps one could choose between the versions of software of partition 1 that one has backed up as I described and clone one of them to a micro sd card & boot from that & get back to work when the new software the Snap on man just loaded on the main drive omits some previously available abilities. I plan to try this & see if it works next update. If anyone beats me to trying this - please tell us your results, good or bad.

Dumbing DOWN our equipment is NOT going to make the trade any better. Quite the opposite actually.
          Need to make tools more capable and fill in the gaps, Complete basics (pids & tests) & RELIABILITY first. Then user - friendliness & more flexibility to customize things for individual needs. Like being able to choose one's own pids for a custom group instead of what someone who doesn't know your situation RIGHT NOW put in a group, Nice hardware, Time to listen to our software needs.
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

The venerable SOLUS-PRO had the capability to BACK-UP the software directly to a CF card. Then it had the capability to RESTORE directly from that saved card.......
            THIRTY YEARS AGO, yes THREE DECADES AGO, the importance of back ups became quite apparent.
            Today, software people just don't understand many fundamentals. If it's man-made, it'll break. If it's software of ANY kind, it can get scrambled, or "corrupted". It's also stored on man-made devices which goes back to the first BREAK.
            Daily overnight "updates" are always finding new ways to screw up. Whether it's a laptop, a desktop, or a phone (or any other device) the "updates" are not improvements, but rather foul ups that lay people pull a face palm saying,,, "Oh NO...they didn't really do that...did they-??"
            Which brings us to what techs on the bench say all the time regarding new "improvements" or "enhancements" in automobiles.....
            "WHAT were they THINKING-??"

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

The venerable SOLUS-PRO had the capability to BACK-UP the software directly to a CF card. Then it had the capability to RESTORE directly from that saved card.......
              THIRTY YEARS AGO, yes THREE DECADES AGO, the importance of back ups became quite apparent.
              Today, software people just don't understand many fundamentals. If it's man-made, it'll break. If it's software of ANY kind, it can get scrambled, or "corrupted". It's also stored on man-made devices which goes back to the first BREAK.
              Daily overnight "updates" are always finding new ways to screw up. Whether it's a laptop, a desktop, or a phone (or any other device) the "updates" are not improvements, but rather foul ups that lay people pull a face palm saying,,, "Oh NO...they didn't really do that...did they-??"
              Which brings us to what techs on the bench say all the time regarding new "improvements" or "enhancements" in automobiles.....
              Lol, just people finding creative ways to justify their employment and keep busy for 8 hours and justify a check at the end of the week.
              Last edited by Witsend; 12-04-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• phill57
                • Oct 2007

Pid font color and size

I called tech support today to express my concern with the blue text on white background now used for the pid display as well as the grey text on black background showing digital readings for min/max and live when graphing data. The technician said they have had lots of complaints about this and the concern has been raised. Hopefully there will be a service patch to change it back to black on white as it should be. The ability to increase the font size would be a bonus too. No time frame as to when this might get fixed.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Crusty

I find it really odd that all modern equipment ' has ' to have even more technology added to it for the consumer who " wants " this technology.

Personally I do not ' want ' extra technology, my everyday vehicle has drum rear brakes, no abs, no air con and most importantly, no mil lamp, despite having Fords EEC V engine management system fitted to it.

And also odd that the Solus does not have the back up and restore from a CF card, despite the Ethos and Solus Pro both having this feature.

Comment

• Wheel
                    • Jul 2007

I called tech support today to express my concern with the blue text on white background now used for the pid display as well as the grey text on black background showing digital readings for min/max and live when graphing data. The technician said they have had lots of complaints about this and the concern has been raised. Hopefully there will be a service patch to change it back to black on white as it should be. The ability to increase the font size would be a bonus too. No time frame as to when this might get fixed.
                    I personally grow very tired of the change for the sake of change mentality.
                    I personally believe a majority prefer the if it ain't broke, don't fix it reasoning. I say if you want to change something, go ahead, but give people a choice to go back to what was if they prefer - give people a choice.

Sharp contrasts are more useful even to people with excellent eyesight - much more so to those with just tired or even failing eyesight. Here again function needs to take precedence over appearance.

Comment

• phill57
                      • Oct 2007

External Monitor

I purchased the docking station and a 32" flat screen TV. Seems to work pretty nice. Helps with the small font at least when I'm in the shop.

Comment

• phill57
                        • Oct 2007

Did 18.2 fix the font size or contrast issue?

As the title asks has there been any changes to the font size or at least the contrast with the latest 18.2 update? I haven't done it yet but considering soon.

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

As the title asks has there been any changes to the font size or at least the contrast with the latest 18.2 update? I haven't done it yet but considering soon.
                          Use the two finger pinch move, like you do with smart phones. This is how to change font size. This has been available for some time.
                          S. Breland

Comment

• phill57
                            • Oct 2007

2 finger pinch

Originally posted by sbreland73
                            Use the two finger pinch move, like you do with smart phones. This is how to change font size. This has been available for some time.
                            Thanks for the suggestion and although this may work when browsing the web it does not work when viewing a data pid list in the Verus software.

Comment

• sbreland73
                              • Jan 2009

Thanks for the suggestion and although this may work when browsing the web it does not work when viewing a data pid list in the Verus software.
                              Hummm, indeed it is not working. I know I have re-sized text before, on Code Scans, Live Data, etc.
                              S. Breland

Comment

Working...