Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dbarnes5654
    By basic do you mean the single ign pick up? That I have . Great idea about going to radio shack, I'll be going there tonite.

Thanks,
    Don
    Yep !
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• CrazyFreak
      • Sep 2011

I bought the stick and the flag for so long and I couldn't figure out how exactly it works. so on the flag if I use the y cable for the two set of flags, how do I know which one is #1 or #2 and so on? same with the stick?? Thanks

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by CrazyFreak
        I bought the stick and the flag for so long and I couldn't figure out how exactly it works. so on the flag if I use the y cable for the two set of flags, how do I know which one is #1 or #2 and so on? same with the stick?? Thanks
        You will need to synch these to a cylinder, such as #1 just as on a conventional ignition. The pick -ups do not care which cylinder they are on.
        Someone correct me if I heard wrong, but I heard you could hook your rpm lead around the #1 primary coil or injector lead and it would still work. If not, you could synch it to one of these with a free channel on your scope.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
          Snap-on D&I
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Wheel
          You will need to synch these to a cylinder, such as #1 just as on a conventional ignition. The pick -ups do not care which cylinder they are on.
          Someone correct me if I heard wrong, but I heard you could hook your rpm lead around the #1 primary coil or injector lead and it would still work. If not, you could synch it to one of these with a free channel on your scope.
          If you connect the Modis/V Pro/Verus gray #1 RPM lead around all the primary wires at the #1 ignition coil, it may trigger the Ignition scope and display RPM. If that doesn't work try it around the wires individually. This connection isn't going to work for certain but it's usually worth trying if the wires can easily be accessed.

One of the reasons the Sun COP kit was developed for the old testers is that some of them wouldn't trigger the scope if the Cyl #1 trigger pickup was connected to the coil primary wires (No secondary wire used on Many COP).
          The adapter box would generate a signal on it's loop which the tester trigger lead could detect when connected to it.

Another reason was the old testers required a secondary signal of specific levels to work. That wasn't a problem when a pickup could be connected to the coil wire or if a pickup could be made for coil in cap distributors that provided the expected signal level.

With COPs If the secondary signal was too weak as often the case, the tester wouldn't see it.
          if the signal was too strong, the tester would mistrigger.

The combination of the adapter box with an adjustable signal level and the generic pickups with high and low sides allowed the testers to work on many COP systems just like they did with the old distributor systems.

Modis/ V Pro/ Verus were designed to use the same pickups as found in the Sun kit but didn't need the adapter box. The trigger could often be connected to the coil primary wires and the secondary threshold in the ignition scope could be set lower to allow the scope to work with much lower secondary signal levels. If the secondary signal level is lower, you select a lower kv scale (down to 2kv) and lower the secondary threshold. The end result is the same in that you can display a usable ignition pattern on many COP systems.

Modis/ V Pro/ Verus can also use the coil specific Vantage COP pickups.
          They can be connected to the single kv lead one at a time or daisy chained together with a bunch of inexpensive RCA Y adapter cables from the local electronics store.
          The nice thing about the coil specific Vantage COP pickups is they typically fit a coil in a specific way and provide a consistent signal level.
          If you often see a particular vehicle that can use one of the Vantage pickups, you can daisy chain 6 together on an engine like the Chrysler 2.7L/3.2L/3.5Ls and look at all at once. Of course this would only be practical on an application you see often and a Vantage coil specific COP is available.

The signal level when using the generic pickups is dependent on the specific position of the pickups to the coils so you have to be careful that each one is in the same position on each coil or the signal level will be different on each one making it hard to diagnose with. This is a disadvantage of using the generic pickups, but on the other hand, they are more flexible as they can be used on many applications, not just a specific one.

There is a Vantage COP11 pickup that is inductive not capacitive as most secondary pickups are. It can only be used on one coil at a time, but can often display a usable pattern from coils that the other pickups will not due to the signal level being very low.

If you use Lab scope to view ignition and another channel to trigger the scope, its best to use coil 1 rather than an injector. Remember the injectors open to provide fuel at a different point in the cycle than the coil fires the plug so if you use injector 1, it will be in the neighborhood of 1 crank revolution off from the cyl 1 firing. You would be better off using the opposite injector (Cyl 4 injector on a 6 cyl eng with F.O. of 1,2,3,4,5,6) but it may still be in between coil firings and you may not be able to tell which one it should line up with.
          You might be better off using a Cam signal when applicable, but you have to be aware of the relationship between it and the number 1 firing.
          Still it's generally going to be easier to use a coil. You can use the low amps probe for a simple non intrusive connection for the sync.
          The amps probe sure is handy for coil diagnosis all by itself too.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Now thats some serious info right there... Thanks Rich!!!

Comment

• CrazyFreak
              • Sep 2011

Awsome info. Thanks!!! Gotta try those pickup next time I get a cop engine. Also need to learn to read the cop-11 value!

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

EEIG 100A kit for Counselor 2, more serious information needed.

I just bought a used EEIG100A Coil On Plug adapter kit that does not seem to work on my first test bed subject for the kit , a 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 Guinea Pig . Got the Counselor 2 red inductive clamp of the Secondary #1 cylinder pickup around the #1 coil primary feed wires and screen displays RPM on screen just fine off it , tried the flag adapters and then the sticks, so why would I not get #1 to be synched properly and screen display a snch error code. If it can display the rpm fine on screen off the pickup over #1 coil primary wires , then why can't it synch off it ? I also tried the adapter's pickup over #1 ignition coil primary wires, and put the Counselor 2 red clamp over the loop of the COP adapter trigger pickup loop and screen also displays rpm correctly but error message on screen displays, so it must not be able to synch to #!.

Any experienced input as well as an updated list of vehicles preferred settings and sides of flags and sticks for best results for quicker set up.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Witsend; 05-26-2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Counselor 2 with COP adapter kit

I wanted to substitute the Counselor 2 amp probes in the place of the red #1 wire pick up on the #1 coil primary wires, , but the amp probes have more pins and wont connect to the same barrel connector used for the red #1 trigger pickup.
                  Only because the little red power light still glows on the adapter. I will try the EEEG100A on one more Coil on Plug set up before I assume it's junk and something gave up inside the circuit board of main adapter part with the gain knob on it because I get next to nothing for a screen trace.
                  Old proverb? , No financial pain , no old osciilloscope gain, LOL
                  Last edited by Witsend; 05-27-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• nickyp00
                    • Mar 2018

Wanted to buy

If you still have this unit, would love to buy it off you if you have no use for it.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

If you still have this unit, would love to buy it off you if you have no use for it.
                      I don't wish to sell my complete EEIG100A Coil On Plug adapter kit because my Counselor 2 still works , and EEIG100A still works with some COP cars, but I do have a spare main adapter part with the gain knob on it that I would consider selling. I have spare because the guy I bought it from gave it to me because I thought the one I got was working hit or miss , but he gave me another one from a second kit he had when I bought it almost 4 years ago.
                      If I someone local in my area offered me a $1000 or a decent smoke machine I would happily part with my counselor and the EEIG100A and save up another $1000 or so and get a Verus Pro or Pico and maybe one of these for dealing with COP ignition.

Last edited by Witsend; 03-21-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...