Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Suggested RESEARCH capability

I was looking at a couple of threads. One here and one on IATN.
    Both are regarding the Trouble Shooter feature on SnapOn scan tools.

Personally, most of it is first year apprentice stuff, but that doesn't make it invaluable. There are lots of times the vehicle coming in isn't something we're intimately familiar with so ANY information is worth looking at.

Quite often we get a call from a customer saying the vehicle has this problem, or that problem. Our only answer is, bring it in and let us see what we can find.

The number of manufacturers and their different models and engines means NO ONE can know it all. (there are some who ARE "know it alls" but that's a different subject-LOL)

Very often when a vehicle is coming in next Thursday, we get a chance to take a peak at our information systems and TSB's long before the vehicle arrives.

Unfortunately we CAN'T use the information within the tolls in our hands, the trouble shooter in our scan tools.

We also have absolutely no idea what functional tests are available, or are supported by our scan tools.

Here's a suggestion.. a primary selection called "RESEARCH", where we CAN access the trouble shooter AND a list of functional tests supported by the vehicle, and which ones are supported by our scanners.

RESEARCH----
    --------------Trouble Shooter...select
    --------------Functional tests...select
    --------------------------------Functional tests supported....select

This would make the tools we already have more valuable.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

I know this topic has come up before, but it's been a while since we visited it.

As Crusty says, it would be GREAT to have access to Troubleshooter, the PID List and Functional Test list while you were off the vehicle.
    Just ONE example would be if a customer called the shop wanting to know if we were able to do a certain repair (For example, replacing the battery on a UDS Controlled Ford). We would have to know if the scanner was able to do a Battery Monitor Reset before taking the vehicle in. Right now, you'd hsave to have the vehicle first.

I know there are some challenges to this, but maybe we could hash them out to make the feature available.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
      I know this topic has come up before, but it's been a while since we visited it.

As Crusty says, it would be GREAT to have access to Troubleshooter, the PID List and Functional Test list while you were off the vehicle.
      Just ONE example would be if a customer called the shop wanting to know if we were able to do a certain repair (For example, replacing the battery on a UDS Controlled Ford). We would have to know if the scanner was able to do a Battery Monitor Reset before taking the vehicle in. Right now, you'd hsave to have the vehicle first.

I know there are some challenges to this, but maybe we could hash them out to make the feature available.

Joe
      LOL, I had overlooked PID list Joe. Me, of all people-!! LOL.

Thanks for including that.

Troubleshooter
      PID list
      Functional tests
      Reset procedures

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
        LOL, I had overlooked PID list Joe. Me, of all people-!! LOL.

Thanks for including that.

Troubleshooter
        PID list
        Functional tests
        Reset procedures
        I figured you must not have been feeling well.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Skip
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2008

Don't hold your breath. The tool works now by asking the cars controller what is available and then displays it. Started with Chrysler CAN bus cars in '04 and is spreading.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Skip
            Don't hold your breath. The tool works now by asking the cars controller what is available and then displays it. Started with Chrysler CAN bus cars in '04 and is spreading.
            I don't figure the troubleshooter database changes at all. Either the Chrysler troubleshooter information is in the scanner or it's not. At least let us LOOK at that database so we can research the possibilities BEFORE the vehicle arrives.

Comment

• Skip
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2008

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, but the troubleshooter is tied to a controller ID. Any information you see may or may not be relevant to the car. I would LOVE it if they could make this happen. It would make my job a lot easier.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                • Jan 2011

We have asked, But will they listen???

Share with Snap-on Diagnostics, the additional features that you need or desire in our tools. What do the factory tools do that you absolutely need in your Snap-on tool.

Accessing the trouble shooter info within the tool without being hooked to the car or redirecting you to another site in which you need another subscription Is so valuable.

I don't want to risk plugging the OBD port in on a different vehicle and trying to access on a different vehicle just to get the info I am looking for.

Comment

Working...