Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tenfooter
    • Apr 2007

Using new COP Flags

I just got a set of COP flags with 0 documentation. I am not sure of what types of coils these function with or how best to attach them to the coils. If anyone has used this set up I would like to know as much as possible about these items and how to use them. snap on part #EAC0056L00A and #EAC0056L02A.
  • Nick
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by tenfooter
    snap on part #EAC0056L00A and
    They are both generic it says on Snap Ons site. Looks like the simgle one can be used for single cylinders or in conjuction with the three pick up one for 4 cylinders.

Description:
    Use with 3 flag pick-up for 4-cylinder engines or use 2 with two 3-flag pick-ups for V8 engines.
    Additional Description:
    Each Ignition Coil kV Adaptor is custom configured for a specific ignition system to provide an easy and secure connection plus accurate and constant power kV, spark kV and burn time measurements.

Originally posted by tenfooter
    #EAC0056L02A.
    Description:
    Use 2 for 6-cylinder engines.
    Mechanic-Instructor-Mobile Trouble Shooter

Autotechdiagnostics.com

Comment

• CPDtech
      • Dec 2008

Has anyone actually used these generic COP flag adaptors?

Snap-On give a very veague image and description of this tool,
      and there is no documentation on attachment.

Before I purchase: I would like to know if they will work on a late model 98-08 ford V-8 COP system, exactly what is required to attach, [to vehicle and to Modis]

Each Ignition Coil kV Adaptor is custom configured for a specific ignition system

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comment

• jeffreyg
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by CPDtech
        Has anyone actually used these generic COP flag adaptors?

Snap-On give a very veague image and description of this tool,
        and there is no documentation on attachment.

Before I purchase: I would like to know if they will work on a late model 98-08 ford V-8 COP system, exactly what is required to attach, [to vehicle and to Modis]

Each Ignition Coil kV Adaptor is custom configured for a specific ignition system

Any help is greatly appreciated

Yes I own these same adapters and have attempted to use them on several occasions without any success (sorry Snap On) I've even called tech support and all I got for an answer was they don't work on every application. All I can say is there hit or miss if you do purchase them you will need a secondary coil adapter lead (pn EETA309A05) to connect the flags to your scope. I know your trying to look at more than one cylinder, but what I use on Ford COP is EETA309A05 (coil adapter lead) and EETM306A03 (Ford COP adapter) , or look at it with my low amp clamp one cylinder at a time.

Comment

• CPDtech
          • Dec 2008

Thanks for your post jeffreyg.

I first looked at these flag COP adapters and initially thought it was too good to be true for 100.00 ...
          I talked to the local tech rep this week and he said that i would need the
          [SIA2000 Secondary Ignition Adapter EETA309A15]
          octopus to get these flag pick up's to work.
          A mere 1600.00 LoL

I'll take your advice and use the ford COP adapter and look at them one at a time.
          Thanks Again
          Have a happy New Year

Comment

• john322
            • Dec 2008

sia20000

my snapon guy who has a deep history with scopes e,tc says sai2000 dont work anywhere close to justify any money ,i have been told otc,and ferrett the same about their version and they dont even support thers also,i am just a tech trying to listen to what everyone has to say any input

Comment

• No-Start
              • Oct 2006

I've used SIA2000 since it was first released, and haven't had any issues getting it to work. I'm not sure what your dealer means by his comments, maybe he just doesn't know how to set it up.

I've also used the Ford COP flags and the long flat sticks. They also work fine. You need to learn to position them so they can pick up all the coils. They also have different gains on each side, this helps with picking up the signals.

No-Start.

Comment

• No-Start
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by CPDtech
                Thanks for your post jeffreyg.

I first looked at these flag COP adapters and initially thought it was too good to be true for 100.00 ...
                I talked to the local tech rep this week and he said that i would need the
                [SIA2000 Secondary Ignition Adapter EETA309A15]
                octopus to get these flag pick up's to work.
                A mere 1600.00 LoL
                You don't need to use the SIA2000 to be able to use the flag pickups or the sticks. You only need to use the Secondary Coil Adapter Lead and a gender changer.

No-Start.

Comment

• CPDtech
                  • Dec 2008

The Info I received, was from the Midwest tech rep
                  [not the local snap-on distributor]
                  However, I am beginning to doubt his input !

I'm curious if anyone has a set of these "generic flag adapters"
                  strung 8 of them together;
                  pulled up a secondary ignition pattern of all 8 coils [at the same time]
                  on their modis?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Comment

• No-Start
                    • Oct 2006

Stringing up flags to scope 8 COP coils at a time would probably be quite time consuming. I will have the vehicle diag'ed and fixed before you untangle all the leads.

It's not something I would imagine doing.

No-Start.

Comment

• Shalom
                      • Sep 2008

cop flags

I tried to use the flags once with no results. I tried again today on a 2000Volvo 2.4 5 cyl. Hooking up a 3+1+1 setup and tapeing some flags to hold them on the coils. Also placing the side B up to get a better reading. I found that by waiting some time, (120 seconds or more), I started getting a reading. Then remembering a tip from another tech I read the night before,(I would like to give him the credit but don't know who it was). I layed the trigger pick-up on top of the #1 coil, with the jaws opened and I had a referrence signal. The pattern was readable and usefull.
                      I do not know if I was not getting a signal the first time I used them (because I did not give the Modis enough time to process the info. or they did not work), now I know to be paitent and wait for the Modis to process the signals.
                      I also tried to hook up the pick up stick and found that I did not have a connector for the Modis, we called the tech support and found that you have to buy a RC connector from Radio Shack (or such) for a female/female adaptor to connect it to the Modis.
                      Hope this helps.
                      God bless!

Comment

• dfl357
                        • Jan 2009

I've had good luck holding flags in place with clothes pins. They also keep wires out of moving parts.

Comment

• wdoug21
                          • May 2012

flags do work

I bought the flags with the ideal to set up for 8 cylinders getting the scope set up took a little time and using another channel to help with firing order seen some coils react to hook up with second so need to watch out for response from that coil giving bad input on first channel just on some coils for some reason . When seen this just checked with the second unhooked to see if still present to verify second lead causing reaction on scope . once got scope right set the settings as one of me presets for faster hook up in future works fine other than occasional coil reacting to second channel when using to determine firing order . Have noticed wiping tops of coil necessary to get signal just small amount of dirt can prevent signal .

Comment

Working...