X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donminor
    • Jan 2014

1988 dodge Dakota Verus will not communicate

I'm lost on this?

I have checked all the wiring to the diagnostics connector and all are good and pin out OK. I done this twice now.

I have checked all fuses also done twice.

Still when I try to pull the codes it will not connect.

I know the computer is working because the truck runs and is drivable. Plus I can use the key and get the flash code out of it.

But I am have trouble with the on acceleration. because the check engine light keeps coming on. Flash codes with key keeps say ERG but I have replaced it 3 times now and it works for about 3 months and start acting up again.

But my problem is I should be able to connect the scan to the truck so maybe I can get a little deep into what happening.

I talk to Snap-on about this and there best answer was buy another update. I shouldn't have to up date to hook to something this old. I mean come on guys, this is old school and the software shouldn't had to be upgraded, just to connect to read trouble codes and watch data.

I spent 10,000 and got all the software up to 2010 when I got it. Asian, European and domestic. It should connect to the old truck with no problem.

Very unhappy with the answer I got form them on this. Could someone please tell me is there someone that can fix this problem without spend another $500 and it still may not work.
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your equipment. I agree with you, the bloody thing SHOULD connect to an older vehicle. No excuses, you already paid for that past year capability.

In defense of SnapOn, the 1980's were very interesting for vehicle communications....LOL

I don't have any answers but, you can still work on the vehicle. Use the flash codes for a starting point.

I just googled this....Hope it helps....I don't know if these are accurate or not but at least you can look up the codes from your "Trouble Shooter" on the tool, or look them up in your information system.

--------------------------
    1st Gen Dakota Tech - OBD 1 Codes - The old post isnt working, So I am reposting this for all to use. ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS Dodge OBD1 Pre 96 1. Cycle the ignition key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. To cycle the ignition key ON means to turn it only as far as it takes to get the radio to come on. It does not mean...

-------------------------
    ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS Dodge OBD1 Pre 96

1. Cycle the ignition key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. To cycle the ignition key ON means to turn it only as far as it takes to get the radio to come on. It does not mean to turn the engine on.

2. Count the number of times the "check engine" lamp on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual codes. For example, flash-flash-flash [pause] flash-flash represents the code 32.

A code of "55" represents end of error codes. If this is all you get then no error codes are stored in the computer. This is the normal condition

CODE Description of Trouble Code
    11 Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more from initial learned value, Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking
    12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles (normal)
    13 No change in MAP from start to run
    14 MAP sensor voltage too low
    15 No vehicle speed sensor signal
    17 Closed loop temp not reached or engine cold too long
    21 02s sensor problem (oxygen sensor), upstream or down stream
    22 Engine coolant temp sensor out of range
    23 Intake air temp sensor out of range
    24 Throttle Position sensor out of range
    25 Idle air control motor circuits, target idle not reached (+/- 200),vacuum leak found
    27 Injector control circuit
    31 Evap purge flow monitor failure or evap solenoid circuit
    32 EGR system failure
    33 A/C clutch relay circuit
    34 Speed control Solenoid circuits
    35 Rad Fan control relay circuit
    37 Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure
    41 Generator field not switching properly
    42 Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles
    43 Multiple/ single cylinder misfire
    44 Battery temp sensor volts out of range
    46 Charging system voltage too low
    51 Fuel system lean
    52 Fuel system rich
    53 Internal control failure
    54 No Cam signal at PCM
    55 End of error messages (If you get this only, no errors were found)
    62 PCM failure SRI mile not stored
    63 PCM Failure EEPROM write denied
    64 Catalytic Converter Efficiency Failure
    65 Power steering switch failure
    ---------------------------------

Comment

• Donminor
      • Jan 2014

I have all this information but it's not really helping get to the bottom of the problem. I was really wanting to watch the sensor readings because this thing will not fall out of a tree if you pushed it. There something more going on because it seem to be in limp mod.

I have a hard time getting enough speed to get on the freeway and you have no passing power at all.

Plus gas mileage sucks big time, my S-10 with a 350 get better gas mileage than this 6 banger.

Comment

• badcoupe
        • Jan 2011

If you're verus is wireless use the usb cable many of the obd 1 vehicles don't communicate fast enough for the bluetooth. This seems especially true on fords, I always instruct my students to try usb to the module first before condeming the pcm or the scanner

Comment

• Donminor
          • Jan 2014

How am I going to hook a USB cable to a 1988 Dodge truck, they didn't even have them back Then. the Scanner seem to work on everything else, just will not hookup to this truck

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Donminor
            I have all this information but it's not really helping get to the bottom of the problem. I was really wanting to watch the sensor readings because this thing will not fall out of a tree if you pushed it. There something more going on because it seem to be in limp mod.

I have a hard time getting enough speed to get on the freeway and you have no passing power at all.

Plus gas mileage sucks big time, my S-10 with a 350 get better gas mileage than this 6 banger.
            I think badcoupe was referring to the Verus Module and not using the wireless but rather tethering the communication module to the Verus itself.

I would check and record all codes. Next CLEAR all codes manually. If it's that bad, the codes will return soon anyway and you can work on which code returns first. If the vehicle then responds properly you know it's a problem in the ECM and the on-board electronics.
            If the vehicle responds properly you also know it's not a mechanical problem.
            If the vehicle still won't pull the skin off rice pudding, start by testing fuel pressure, then check the TPS with a scope, also test the exhaust backpressure. How about the EGR-?? How about mechanical compression test-?? Not necessarily a nice way to work on a vehicle but still possible.
            The codes will at least give you a direction to start testing.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Donminor
              How am I going to hook a USB cable to a 1988 Dodge truck, they didn't even have them back Then. the Scanner seem to work on everything else, just will not hookup to this truck
              Are you using an original Verus with a Cable and Keys? If so, it is possible that your key is bad. K13 is prone to failure, especially if you leave it in the slot while you connect it to other brand vehicles. Communication errors also occur when people try to use K13 and K13a interchangeably. They don't work that way. It is also possible that you have a bad OBDII Connector as well.

None of this advice is any good if you have a wireless Verus though.

Joe
              "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
              Henry Ford

Comment

• Donminor
                • Jan 2014

I have the chrys 1 connector that hooks to the diagnostic connector directly in the wiring harness on the fire wall on the right side of the engine. It does not need a key and has no place for one. Again I checked the pin out and everything checks out OK to the computer. No breaks in the wires or anything to stop it.

When I got the Verus I spent good money to make sure I had what I need to work with because I do a lot of trouble shooting on peoples cars that can seem to get them fixed at the dealers. So I want to save time and have the correct stuff to work with. plus I work on a lot of collector cars also for people.

Personal I believe there is an software problem and Snap-on does want to take the time to fix it because of the age. Which really is not fair to us that still have to work on these vehicles and have paid the money to have it.

Kinda like Microsoft has stop support Windows XP to make you up grade to get help, so they make twice the money. Plus Microsoft loves to create software that as know bugs so the can get $59.00 bucks to paid them to fix the problems they knew they had when they released it.

The bad part is Snap-on does not give you anything to go on when you have these kinds of problems, like error codes that could give you a clue to why it's not working. Is it a data problem, loss of power or what, to why it's not connecting. you think a company that works on trouble shooting would have this in their own software to save time???? and better customer relations??? You do it for the vehicles why not the software. Call me stupid I guess, but I think that would be common sense.

Plus it could save support a lot of time answer these question when this happens
                Last edited by Donminor; 01-12-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• badcoupe
                  • Jan 2011

I was referring to using the usb cord to go directly from the verus to the wireless scan module, assuming you have a wireless verus

Comment

• Donminor
                    • Jan 2014

It is wireless but that should have nothing to do with connecting to this truck, it's a cables connection and the software is on the scanner its self.

Comment

• 66superduty
                      • Apr 2009

this reminds me of a 93 ford aerostar I had one time. had to hook up a 60 pin break out box and ck each pin. at the ecm it was getting about 1/2 mile per gallon.finally at pin 40 found no ground for 02 sensor. wire was pulled from harness pulled off back of motor when they did an engine swap.hated using an old school tool but it fixed problem . even my verus couldn't read data stream on pre obd 2 ford cars. I nwill never let a tool maker keep me from fixing a car.if you ever saw the movie (dead poets society) there is always another way to look at something. good luck

Comment

• Nickb
                        DSD
                        • Aug 2007

Chances are the data available on your 1988 won't be of much help anyways. I would use the component test meter and see if you can find something out of range.

If your tool is wireless, sometimes the 12 volt adaptor for the chrysler adaptor isn't enough voltage. You should try a USB also. Plus make sure your 12 volt cables are good. Pretty sure the OBD1 Chrysler adaptor uses that 12 volt adaptor. Sorry don't have one in front of me.

Hope you get this resolved either way, good luck.
                        DSD

Comment

• Skip
                          Super Moderator
                          • Apr 2008

Are you connecting the 12V power supply to the Chry-1 connector? Not sure if it makes a difference with comm or not, but worth a try. The old MT2500 that the program was written for wouldn't work without it. Also, test the wires between the DLC and the PCM.

Comment

• Donminor
                            • Jan 2014

Skip, I am using the ac plugin to the computer I always have to because the battery will not hold a charge long enough to do much, been that why sense I first got it.

Let me ask you so I will make sure I understand you correctly. There is a place on the diagnostic connector for battery power or the AC plugin, are you saying that it can make a difference if I plug the power into there, instead of the the computer itself.

I'll trying it and see if it does.

Thanks for the tip

Comment

• badcoupe
                              • Jan 2011

the connector has a jack on the side for a 12v input that goes to cig lighter, I have an adapter to hook it to the battery. This must be hooked up!

Comment

Working...