Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

CODE SCAN

I performed a Pre-Scan with my Verus Edge with 19.4 on a 2015 ford explorer. Pre-scan came back stating it analyzed 20 different systems, identified all 20 systems, and recorded any associated fault codes. Very comprehensive and giving me the impression all modules had been accessed. All was great until later I found out the air bag light was on and customer stated that it had illuminated off and on over the last few years. I attempted to communicate with the air bag module directly and found no communication as a result. Most likely internal air bag module fault. Why did the Pre-Scan report not indicate failed comm attempt with restraint module? The Pre-Scan report presented the list of systems that were successfully accessed as if it were the complete list of modules in the vehicle. I would like to see a flag raised during a code scan event if no communication was established with a specific module. I guess I don't read down through each list of pre-scanned systems making sure all modules are present and ask myself if I need to individually scan each one to ensure comms. Isn't the point of the code scan to consolidate all code retrieval attempts into one feature?
  • tech25
    • Oct 2017

I have had this issue too with other makes. like you said. during a complete code scan, it will access x many module, then when you attempt to locate a module individually, its either not there, or does not work properly. Obviously a sw bug. I would gladly report these specific issues but i feel they fall on def ears.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Right or wrong, the way it works is if the scanner pings a module during code scan and doesn't find it, it just skips it. I bet this happens because an aftermarket scanner wouldn't know how any particular car is equipped, so if it doesn't find a seat module, it just doesn't list it in the code scan results. If it did, then it would list every module that the vehicle isn't optioned with. On older vehicles that can be a pain, but thankfully most newer CAN equipped vehicles won't fall victim to that. If the ABS module is off line, then most other modules will have a code for it being missing, and you'll spot it that way.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
        Right or wrong, the way it works is if the scanner pings a module during code scan and doesn't find it, it just skips it. I bet this happens because an aftermarket scanner wouldn't know how any particular car is equipped, so if it doesn't find a seat module, it just doesn't list it in the code scan results.Joe
        Some OEM scanners often do this as well.If a module doesn't communicate during a scan,and there are no communication codes set, it's as if the module isn't there.
        On the other side of the coin, Hyundai's GDS Mobile(tablet) lists every module that is possible on the model/year that is being scanned,and says "no communication,check to see if this system is installed" if /when there is no communication to a module. That can be a pain as well if the Tech is not familiar with that particular vehicle.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

I've been bitten by that too. I came to about the same conclusion as Joe Rappa, though I'm sure he states it better. Since it's now something I know to watch out for it's not so big a deal.

Comment

• Matt
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by GypsyR
            I've been bitten by that too. I came to about the same conclusion as Joe Rappa, though I'm sure he states it better. Since it's now something I know to watch out for it's not so big a deal.
            It's good to see others have had similar experiences. I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the CODE SCAN feature. I feel its brilliant and a huge time saver. It just has limitations like everything else. Like GypsyR said I know what to watch for.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

I don't have a current GM scan tool, but this discussion sounds like the GM DBDT would be very useful.
              Apparently it will tell you when someone is supposed to be there but isn't responding or active (off line)

Comment

• Matt
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
                I don't have a current GM scan tool, but this discussion sounds like the GM DBDT would be very useful.
                Apparently it will tell you when someone is supposed to be there but isn't responding or active (off line)
                That's exactly what were talking about.

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

Data Bus Diagnostic Tool is only available with a GDS2 subscription.It does work well.Other OEMs have similar tools with their factory scan tool software.

Comment

• phill57
                    • Oct 2007

No Com With a Module Gets Ignored

[QUOTE=Matt;64863]I performed a Pre-Scan with my Verus Edge with 19.4 on a 2015 ford explorer. Pre-scan came back stating it analyzed 20 different systems, identified all 20 systems, and recorded any associated fault codes. Very comprehensive and giving me the impression all modules had been accessed. All was great until later I found out the air bag light was on and customer stated that it had illuminated off and on over the last few years. I attempted to communicate with the air bag module directly and found no communication as a result.

I've had this on several occasions and I agree that any module that could potentially be scanned yet doesn't respond when it gets pinged should be flagged as a high priority. That is the way the GM Tech2 scanner prioritizes issues during an all module scan. No Communication first then fault codes second. The tech then has to decide what is optional or not. Yes most can based systems will flag the missing module in others that do respond.

Comment

Working...