Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • USpMD
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Nevin_Mc
    I do know you dont want to use a battery charger because of the ripple. You can get corrupted files. You are going to want to use a jump box.
    I have used a battery charger to support battery to 13.4 volts, have yet to have a concern, have reflashed over 4000 modules in the last 6 years
    "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• gmworldclass
      • Oct 2010

It is a down load from tis.
      Originally posted by twincity
      Gentlemen,

Will the Tech2Win do everything the Tech2 does; from 1996 and up? Where do you get the Tech2Win software and what is the cost?

Thank you ,

Robert

Comment

• USpMD
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by twincity
        Gentlemen,

Will the Tech2Win do everything the Tech2 does; from 1996 and up? Where do you get the Tech2Win software and what is the cost?

Thank you ,

Robert
        Tech2win dose do everthing only faster, (and bigger, can make thye screen as large as your moniter,) Except! Programing is not supported, but you will need to have the MDI, so your covered! As for cost go to, check out....

for complete Info, Tech2win is not available to aftermarket as yet, coming soon however
        "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• Bob's Garage
          • Nov 2007

Battery chargers

Originally posted by Nevin_Mc
          I do know you dont want to use a battery charger because of the ripple. You can get corrupted files. You are going to want to use a jump box.

That's what they say, but have never had an issue. I may charge the battery for a half hour or so on a 40 amp charge and turn it down to 2 amps while I flash.

I have flashed many Fords without a charger because they flash so quickly with the IDS.

One day I will buy a "Maintainer" because some flashes have been taking longer like a Cadillac CTS I did recently.

Comment

• K2356
            • Aug 2007

GM programming Tip

I just programmed a 05 Chevy Epica the other day where I performed a remote programming of the TCM, In where at the end of the programming it failed and errored. I left the key on and tryed to then perform just a programming update on the TCM through SPS via passthru. Again at the end of the procedure it failed to program. I left the key on and decided to go into the TCM with the tech2 and check to see if I could communicate with the TCM. Which I was able to get into data parameters but there was no data displayed. I then tryed again to program the TCM(with the key still in the on position.) again it failed.
            Next I decided to start the vehicle cycling the key only from on/run to start. I went back into the TCM data parameters and again no data displayed. I then shut the key "off" and removed the tech2 from the ALDL and rebooted the tool and then keyed on the ignition. Opened SPS and choose replace and reprogram .....The flash finished and no longer errored out. (problem corrected)
            The point iam trying to make is, if leaving the key on doesnt help the programming session succeed and you have essentially exhausted various procedures,In some cases keying off the ignition and trying other methods may correct a programming problem. Which is contrary to always "leaving the key in the on position".
            Kevin Suttorp[/SIZE]

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by K2356
              I just programmed a 05 Chevy Epica the other day where I performed a remote programming of the TCM, In where at the end of the programming it failed and errored. I left the key on and tryed to then perform just a programming update on the TCM through SPS via passthru. Again at the end of the procedure it failed to program. I left the key on and decided to go into the TCM with the tech2 and check to see if I could communicate with the TCM. Which I was able to get into data parameters but there was no data displayed. I then tryed again to program the TCM(with the key still in the on position.) again it failed.
              Next I decided to start the vehicle cycling the key only from on/run to start. I went back into the TCM data parameters and again no data displayed. I then shut the key "off" and removed the tech2 from the ALDL and rebooted the tool and then keyed on the ignition. Opened SPS and choose replace and reprogram .....The flash finished and no longer errored out. (problem corrected)
              The point iam trying to make is, if leaving the key on doesnt help the programming session succeed and you have essentially exhausted various procedures,In some cases keying off the ignition and trying other methods may correct a programming problem. Which is contrary to always "leaving the key in the on position".
              Very helpful indeed. I'm the same way, if after a while of trying the same thing over and over just doesn't do anything and keeps giving me errors, might as well jump and try anything. I know it's contrary to what the experts here say, but sometimes it might work, specially if you have a customer breathing down your neck. I say try all options and see what you get. I guess this would be a last resort if you just can't get the damn module to flash/update. Thanks for the tip, it's nice to hear from someone who did what is not recommended and came out fine at the end. More tips for all. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• USpMD
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by K2356
                Ya .. after reading Bobs tip to GM programing, I did not feel his results were the same as my own, I often reboot the laptop, interface device and preform a key cycle prior to doing a flash programing retry, just works for me

Comment

• Delcotech
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                  GM Tip.

Last week I tried to flash a 2004 CTS doing a "Tech 2 remote". It failed twice. I then got out my MDI and laptop and it took the flash. Not sure what that was all about, but I saved the module.
                  Why would you attempt a "Tech2Remote" on a 04 CTS? Choosing the Tech2 J-2534 option would have likely given you the same results as the MDI, although the MDI may have been a bit quicker.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                    • Nov 2007

Tech 2 remote Vs MDI

Originally posted by Delcotech
                    Why would you attempt a "Tech2Remote" on a 04 CTS? Choosing the Tech2 J-2534 option would have likely given you the same results as the MDI, although the MDI may have been a bit quicker.
                    Why? Just because I had the Tech 2 plugged in for diagnostic purposes. There is nothing wrong with doing a Tech 2 remote. I use the MDI a lot for programming, I just didn't feel like getting it out when I already had the Tech 2 out.

Thanks for the MDI tip.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                      • Nov 2007

Clarification

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
                      Very helpful indeed. I'm the same way, if after a while of trying the same thing over and over just doesn't do anything and keeps giving me errors, might as well jump and try anything. I know it's contrary to what the experts here say, but sometimes it might work, specially if you have a customer breathing down your neck. I say try all options and see what you get. I guess this would be a last resort if you just can't get the damn module to flash/update. Thanks for the tip, it's nice to hear from someone who did what is not recommended and came out fine at the end. More tips for all. Regards, Chavez.
                      Agreed. If you try several times and it is working, stop. Understood. It is true, if the vehicle starts, then you have probably not ruined the module. Remember though, to not rotate the key off until you attempt to start it. That was the case on the CTS that failed. I started it, and at that point I knew all was well.

All I am saying is, if the reflash fails, you have a much better chance of saving the module by not turning the key off first and keeping the battery up until a solution is found. Thats all.

All you need to do is ruin one module (and pay for it)(1996 Roadmaster) to learn to be as careful as possible.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Working...