Hyundai and Kia

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uhaulkid
    • Nov 2011

Ok with the old and the used pcm and with Techstream OBD mode and with the SO MOD i get kicked out or lose com if you will. while reading code, i lose com, while looking at live data, I lose com. it does it with both pcms and the used one i am getting other codes then before. the old real first pcm if you will i was getting...P0030, P0101, P0172B, P0731A, P0732A...With the new pcm I am getting pednig right away without testdrive, p0038, p0136, p0453 & p0501. the VSS code is after test drive yes. But they all come right back as pending then MIL....As you can see the old and used pcms both produce the intermnat lose of com but both also produce differant trouble codes. so is it the pcm? I dont think so. The lose oc com does not always happen with the run bad either, i lose com ea few times a minuite with both pcms and three scanners but it only runs bad every once in a blue moon but when she does she wont move.... I am getting way way off topic here sorry and I will end my part in the thrwad, sorry for gettng off topic but this one is being a buger....thanks for all the input but I got to fix this baby...thanks much to all and again sorry for taking over with off topic stuff....
    Attached Files

Comment

• Orevin
      • Aug 2010

Communication issues with Kia Rio's are so common... Doesn't matter what tool you connect to the OBD2 connector and no matter if it's generic or enhanced.

I had good luck with my Carman Wi, going through the underhood 20-pin DLC.
      -Kai-
      Chicago, IL

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

Scan tools

Kai,

How are you liking that Carman Wi? Please tell the group what you like about it and what you don't.

I am still contemplating another tool, like Carman or Vedis.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• Orevin
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
          Kai,

How are you liking that Carman Wi? Please tell the group what you like about it and what you don't.

The Carman Wi is the last tool I grab, a very unstable/unreliable platform. On the very first car I hooked up to, a 07 Nissan Versa, it caused the engine to stall, with a no crank/no start after that. It might not communicate with a vehicle until you try a few times or loose connection for no apparent reason.

The content or coverage doe not reside on the computer, but is uploaded to the VCI. The memory capacity of the interface is very limited, it cannot hold all of the manufacturers covered. This means you might have to delete a package from the interface and upload another one. Depending on package size, this takes up to ten minutes.

I often think about getting rid of it, but then it helps me out on some cars.

This week I was left stranded by SO while diagnosing a 2000 Kia Sephia and a 2005 Suzuki Verona (the day I completed the rollback...). I actually was quite impressed what it could do on that Verona.

It does a very job on graphing and recording:

20110516-1123-1.jpg

20110516-1017-1.jpg

Coverage is quite good as well, probably better than the Vedis on smaller Asian manufactures. I'm not convinced by it's MB or BMW capabilities. Vedis and even AE appear stronger on these two.

I hear good things about Carman's handheld tools, but I also heard they have closed their offices in the US. I have no idea what this might mean if you want to update/upgrade or have issues with the tool.

Bob, let me know if you want to try the Wi after all. I'm sure I can do without for a couple of weeks.
          -Kai-
          Chicago, IL

Comment

• Rich Barton
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Orevin

The Carman Wi is the last tool I grab, a very unstable/unreliable platform. On the very first car I hooked up to, a 07 Nissan Versa, it caused the engine to stall, with a no crank/no start after that. It might not communicate with a vehicle until you try a few times or loose connection for no apparent reason.

The content or coverage doe not reside on the computer, but is uploaded to the VCI. The memory capacity of the interface is very limited, it cannot hold all of the manufacturers covered. This means you might have to delete a package from the interface and upload another one. Depending on package size, this takes up to ten minutes.

I often think about getting rid of it, but then it helps me out on some cars.

This week I was left stranded by SO while diagnosing a 2000 Kia Sephia and a 2005 Suzuki Verona (the day I completed the rollback...). I actually was quite impressed what it could do on that Verona.

It does a very job on graphing and recording:

[ATTACH]8481[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8482[/ATTACH]

Coverage is quite good as well, probably better than the Vedis on smaller Asian manufactures. I'm not convinced by it's MB or BMW capabilities. Vedis and even AE appear stronger on these two.

I hear good things about Carman's handheld tools, but I also heard they have closed their offices in the US. I have no idea what this might mean if you want to update/upgrade or have issues with the tool.

Bob, let me know if you want to try the Wi after all. I'm sure I can do without for a couple of weeks.
            Hi Bob and Orevin,

I have never used the Carman Wi but I hear alot of people not liking it anymore.

I Have the Carman lite handheld and really like it but it is also limited to things as well but it does boot up as fast as the Solus Ultra and is in and out in no time.

It has great Suzuki,Nissan,Subrau,Honda,Hyundai,Kia coverage and that is all I really use it for.keys,Tpms,relearns etc,the graphing is very slow and not as nice as Snap-On.

Euro coverage just sucks.

You can use the carman lite handheld connected to pc to make nice looking catures like Orevin posted.

I think the last update I got which is 10B0 will be the last update, time will tell if they proceed any further in the US Market.

Snap-On is narrowing the gap on these carlines very fast.
            Rich Barton
            C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Bob's Garage
              • Nov 2007

Carman leaving US?

Thanks Rich and Kai,

I guess I better hold off then. I was hoping Carman was going to be around and put some needed pressure on Snap-on. Too bad.

Still wondering what else to get.

I may take you up on that offer Kai.

Maybe we will get a chance at an IEPA class...

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• Orevin
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Bob's Garage

Maybe we will get a chance at an IEPA class...

Thanks, Bob

12-05-11, Lake County HS. I wouldn't mind taking Ken's communication class again. Let me know.
                -Kai-
                Chicago, IL

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                  • Nov 2007

Zanders Comm class

Yeah, sounds good. That is the one class I have to go to several times to get the protocols ironed out.

Have scoping a lot of CAN lately, just for fun of course...

Comment

Working...