small leak

i hope this is the right forum

can any one can tell me on my 97 plymouth voyager 3.3
    leak detecion pump small leak

is this the right fourum if its not what is the right fourum

someone told me to go to this fourum
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

If you are asking for help on this forum, you need to supply as much information as you can about the vehicle you are working on, and what diagnostics steps you have done already, the diagnostic tool you are using and what version of software would help. The main purpose of this site is for Snapon Diagnostic Tools, the techs who use them, and the issues they may encounter while using them. It is generally assumed that members are in the automotive repair industry, and have some basic automotive understanding. You can't be frustrated that no one is "answering" your question, when it is too vague. There is another site, www.iatn.net that may be of more use to you.
    S. Breland

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Although it is impossible to help too much without more info, it is VERY common for EVAP Systems of that era to have plumbing leaks. Check the large diameter hoses near the canister and LDP pumps. They will probably be split. Replace all of them.
      If you have a smoke machine, smoke it to find the leak. If you don't have a smoke machine, buy one. EVAP diagnostics are way too difficult without one.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

P0442

im getting a smoke macine
        maybe you herd of it the smoke wixard
        i orded one now im waiting for to come

be it will speed up things
        i took out the leak detecion pump the hose look
        ok

the purge valve is new but there is vacuum comeing fron manifould but how can i tell if the purge valve is realy working or not
        Well, as the others have said more information is better, so I quoted you here from your PM.

As Joe Rappa alluded to, the hoses have always been a problem on Chrysler products. It would appear that the hoses are purchased from the lower than low, lowest bidder. The hoses develop micro cracks and end'splits that seem to get larger and smaller with weather conditions, this why a P0442 can change to a P0455 (large Evap leak) or shrink to a P0456 (very small Evap leak).

At any rate pull the hoses off of the Evap Charcoal Canister and examine them carefully for above mentioned splits and cracks. The same goes for the underhood hoses also. Check them for cracks & end splits.

Now, onto other causes. Rust. Assuming you are in a rust belt location where road salt is used. Check the fuel filler neck, they rust badly to the point that the inner plastic spout seperates from the metal filler neck. Also the top of some metal fuel tanks rust so bad that the fuel pump lock ring gets rusty and the pump loses its seal.

Chrysler purge valves are normally closed so you should not be able to blow past the first & second vacuum port on the Valve. It should not leak any vacuum at idle either. You can easily perform the idle purge vacuum test by taking the double vacuum hose off the purge and just reattaching the manifold vacuum side and not attaching the evap hoses half by turning the hose connector 90 degrees so that only the engine manifold vacuum it attached to the purge valve. Check the purge valve empty with the engine running for vacuum at idle, there should be no vacuum present.

With a smoke machine you will have an advantage.

The LDP can also have issues with internal leakage (if no other leaks are found).

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Theoretically if it wasn't so highly illegal with the EPA and very difficult to regulate a feed pressure low enough that you don't damage or burst something else. AC refridgerant with tracer dye (no sealer or lubricant in it) . I would think it would make it possible to see leaks with a black light and yellow glasses, but I haven't tried it , refridgerant burned in combustionis likely toxic besides if you start car and don't have ventilation.

Comment

Working...