Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbo4822
    • Mar 2014

Recording scope and component test

Hello I have a question. I have an intermittent issue on a car . I know the scan tool will record as long as i have the tool connected but is seems the component test and scope only record for the amount of time the moving bar is moving then the timer resets. Is there a was to set the recording function to be continuous so if i want to record a scope pattern for 30 minutes or even longer i can? I seems to only record only 2 minutes at a time or so

thanks
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

The faster the time sweep the less record time that you have. what kind of glitch are you hunting for ?
    Last edited by greasybob; 10-21-2015, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

When I new the circuit I was trying to capture, I watched my scan tool for the glitch to show up, then hit the save button on my Vantage-Pro scope which was hooked up and ready to save.
      One a single machine such as the Verus, I think you should be able to do the same thing.
      Try hooking up to a vehicle on a simple circuit such as the brake pedal switch, watch until the buffer is full on the scope, then hit the brake pedal, see the PID change on the scan tool and hit "save" on the scope recording.
      If it just wraps around and keeps recording, the switch change should be in the recording from the scope. Then you know it wraps around and does keep recording even though the buffer is full.
      I have suggested that they have a tracking indicator once the buffer is full on the scanners but up til now, the only place I see that wrap around indicator is on the buffer bar of the Vantage-Pro.

NOW maybe the software people will see why I have suggested that feature/functional operational characteristic.
      Once the buffer is full, keep the white dot travelling across the buffer bar so you can see that your recording wraps around and keeps recording.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Not sure about the Verdict but with the Verus you can use the split screen to watch the scope and the scanner at the same time and the scope is still fully functional so you can stop at anytime and freeze the recording.

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jimbo4822
          Hello I have a question. I have an intermittent issue on a car . I know the scan tool will record as long as i have the tool connected but is seems the component test and scope only record for the amount of time the moving bar is moving then the timer resets. Is there a was to set the recording function to be continuous so if i want to record a scope pattern for 30 minutes or even longer i can? I seems to only record only 2 minutes at a time or so

thanks
          Probably Snap On's next scope improvement on the Verus should be scope time limited only by hard drive free space.I see no reason this could not be done. I myself have needed this on numerous occasions.
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• jimbo4822
            • Mar 2014

I agree, the scanner will record the pids as long as you want from what i can tell , why cant the scope as well? I had a car with codes for loss of cam and crank at the same time I wanted to monitor the signals until the failure which is intermittent. I was thinking I would see which one failed first or which pattern indicated any issues.
            With only 2 minutes or so of buffer I have to stay with the car and babysit if I walk away and the buffer recycles I loose the pertinent signal recording. If I set the time scale to get more time I cant see the pattern well on playback

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jimbo4822
              I agree, the scanner will record the pids as long as you want from what i can tell , why cant the scope as well? I had a car with codes for loss of cam and crank at the same time I wanted to monitor the signals until the failure which is intermittent. I was thinking I would see which one failed first or which pattern indicated any issues.
              With only 2 minutes or so of buffer I have to stay with the car and babysit if I walk away and the buffer recycles I loose the pertinent signal recording. If I set the time scale to get more time I cant see the pattern well on playback
              Exactly the point. Longer data record time would ensure you that you wouldn't lose any collected data allowing you to walk away and do other needed things while the scope monitors for the intermittent for you = more productive time = more money to spend on Snap On tools, or whatever.
              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Exactly the point. Longer data record time would ensure you that you wouldn't lose any collected data allowing you to walk away and do other needed things while the scope monitors for the intermittent for you = more productive time = more money to spend on Snap On tools, or whatever.
                If some thing is highly intermittent and can't be duplicated with a wiggle test and a 10 minute road test, I'm sorry, I'm not going to waste more than an hour . Ford had customer flight recorders that if the event occurs, the customer pushes the button and it saves 10 seconds before the event occurred and 20 seconds after the button as pushed, for a ford technician to analyze the data later and then spin the EEC pin wheel.

Comment

• andre104623
                  • Nov 2015

The verdict is the same as the verus besides the 4 channel scope. So whatever you can do with the verus you can do on the verdict thats the reason I bought it because its more portable. I had the option to buy a new verus edge but its just to big and a lot more money.

Comment

• MonzaRacer
                    • May 2008

Pico scopes have longer recording time, but the unit is around $5k for the big kit.
                    Snap On has limits but then its use is for regular issues, and typical problems.
                    The few times the Pico comes in handy doesnt make it worth getting unless you are dedicating your self to going deeper into diagnostics. And debt.

Comment

Working...