Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

The 18.4 thread

It would be nice if this could be a thread about nice improvements they have made with the new update. But when I informed my boss the Zeus had just updated to 18.4 his first reaction was "Oh God, so what have they F'd up this time?"

So in that vein....
    They decided to arbitrarily separate the modules in the code reading section into "most common" and other modules. Like they have the faintest clue how I use my scanners. Stupid, arbitrary, and clueless change. Someone must have nothing better to do. There, I managed to get through that without using any of the four letter words I mutter when I have to look at this new arrangement and want to punch someone in the face.
  • Jay G.
    Administrator
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by GypsyR
    It would be nice if this could be a thread about nice improvements they have made with the new update. But when I informed my boss the Zeus had just updated to 18.4 his first reaction was "Oh God, so what have they F'd up this time?"

So in that vein....
    They decided to arbitrarily separate the modules in the code reading section into "most common" and other modules. Like they have the faintest clue how I use my scanners. Stupid, arbitrary, and clueless change. Someone must have nothing better to do. There, I managed to get through that without using any of the four letter words I mutter when I have to look at this new arrangement and want to punch someone in the face.
    On the top left "Category View" you can un-check the box to put it back to classic view.

Comment

• timstech
      • Dec 2010

nice save

Comment

• GypsyR
        • Jul 2017

So THAT's what category view means! Sweet. I can unf#$k THAT anyway.

Ever notice how software, even that you pay little to nothing for will have an update now and then AND have a little addendum as a text file or something that will list what was added, updated, fixed, removed, etc in the newer version. Snap On wants me to pay quite a bit of money for these updates. Is there any chance there's a list anywhere of what I am getting?

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
          Snap-on D&I
          • Nov 2006

Select Diagnostic Platforms at the top of the forum page

Select Zeus platform

Then select the link for Upgrade 18.4 coverage guide down near the bottom of the page

Comment

• GypsyR
            • Jul 2017

I saw the advertising blurb there, not quite the same as update info, but something. No mention in there of stuff like they did or did not fix the "exit exit exit exit exit back back back back " problem or anything. Mostly sales blurb.
            My favorite is the chart comparing various scanner features where they include the entire Edge line and Zeus but totally forgot the Zeus's twin, the Verus Edge.

I've yet to see something positive and interesting about the new update. Surely there's something.

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

Key FOB programming for 2014 and newer GM trucks finally added, Yay !!!

Comment

• tech25
                • Oct 2017

I watched their little video, read their pdf about this update. wow.. this has to be the smallest update I have seen. Besides their cloud based pre/post scan thing....this is small.

However. after reading various reviews about the diagnostic division for snap on. ( glassdoor ) i can only assume there is some micro managing, and only caring about the bottom line. I assume their employees are on strict lock down from revealing about their products and future plans.

Comment

• GypsyR
                  • Jul 2017

Digging further. I see a buttload of ADAS scanning capability and stuff. That seems to be mostly what this update is aimed at. A fine thing for body shops I guess but about none of that applies to our shop.

Some added functionality on some other things. You can finally reset the O2 sensors on 2008 Sprinter vans and such (wait, 2008?) Bunch of little stuff.

"Hey Fred, if I bring by my 2014 Corvette by can you re-initialize the convertible top module?"
                  "Dunno Barney, let me get my high dollar scanner out and see. Well, the roof thing is in there but I have no way of telling if I can reset it or just read the and clear the codes without actually connecting to your car. Hang on, let me get out my off-brand cheap scanner just for kicks. What do you know, it says it will. Bring your car by."

The "Category view" checkbox is not really any help. It still "organizes" the modules according to someone else's idea of convenience.
                  Category: Body Control Modules
                  Contents: Body Control Module
                  Really? Good grief. Above example drawn from a 2001 Grand Cherokee. The category stuff is just in the way. I don't like "in the way". This is officially called the "Intuitive Systems Menu". Intuitive you say. The late Mandy Potinkin's line pops to mind: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Speaking of which the new splash screen. That's a brain dead speed bump. Plug in the DLC to start scanning! Or whatever it actually says. Really? We needed that added in there? Between that and category view 17.4 is looking real good.

The update brags on one button code scanning. This is still very much hit and miss depending on manufacturer, and has not changed. In fact half of the page that lists some of that "newer and better" stuff applies just as well to my elderly and very outdated Modis (version 1).

I'm guessing the "Altus" thing is part of 18.4? It's not made real clear. Doesn't matter really as it looks to be a solution desperately seeking a problem. Not of fan of "cloud" anything anyway, being well aware that "cloud" just means someone else's computer at the other end of an iffy internet connection. The Shopstream Connect program has the potential of displacing Altus if you ask me, but whatever.

Still looking for positives. It's not broken, that's good. No, really. A year's worth of updates for these scanners costs about the same as a brand new mid-range, err "off-brand", scanner that is up to date and has free updates for a year. Just looking for the value in my dollars. We have a Zeus that is on the subscription service but other scanners in the shop which are not. So far it's looking like their updates will wait another year.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                    • Jan 2015

[QUOTE=GypsyR;62368]Digging further. I see a buttload of ADAS scanning capability and stuff. That seems to be mostly what this update is aimed at. A fine thing for body shops I guess but about none of that applies to our shop.

Not of fan of "cloud" anything anyway, being well aware that "cloud" just means someone else's computer at the other end of an iffy internet connection.

Totally, and wholeheartedly agree about ‘ cloud ‘ based anything, no internet ( for whatever reason ) and you are totally unable to access YOUR things !

Comment

• GypsyR
                      • Jul 2017

Kind of just looks like a "complaint" thread, but anyways.

One of the "most commonly" accessed clickables they have chosen to persistently stay on the top area where you scan the different modules is "oil specs". I asked and no one in the shop has ever clicked that at all or for that matter cares about it at all. I clicked it once and it bumbled on about not being able to connect to the internet and I just hit cancel. I'd REALLY like to at least relegate that one to the bottom of the pile where it's not in my way and is more easily ignored. I'd really like for those modules not to be organized by "most commonly used" anyway. I had that on an older car that only had a total of six modules. Six. I really needed those to be split into the most and least commonly used. Yep, they were.

I connected to a car and realized it had reminded me and forced me to click through it reminding me that I needed to actually be connected to the car to read codes and stuff. Thanks. Appreciate the heads up. Don't mind that I've been scanning cars for years and do it many times a day. Connect it to the car and THEN read the codes you say? I'll be darned.

I looked into the Altus and see how other shops are actually finding it useful. It doesn't fit anywhere into our current mode of business though. Thank you for making it easy to ignore it and not forcing us to have to work around it or anything. That's a very good thing. An added value option we don't happen to need or want easily put to the side. Good design.

Comment

Working...