Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

If you keep windows 8 on it, you might be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free if it turns out to be a superior set up.If I remember between XP and windows 7 was Windows Vista that was kind of an Abortion in between the 2 decent platforms

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
      • Apr 2011

I have programmed many chevy, ford, chrysler, kia, hyundai and BMW. The ones I have never done is Subaru, Nissan, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen(Coding ABS yes with instructions from Ross and a lot of reading). I have done Dump crash erasing, reading, odometer rewrite, key programming with and without PIN codes, Etc. It is a TON of reading and basically for me was trial and error. Mostly was self-taught and of course online chat boards. People here are very helpful and can guide u to everything and anything. Which is why I have asked many questions here. It is not easy in the beginning, but fun(at least to me). Ask anything ans someone will come answering!!!

Comment

• dodge90
        • Oct 2014

I'll be sticking to gm's ,ford and chry. cars. I mostly am a self learner and have been reading up on this stuff. Sad that one spends money and the supplier dosent give any training on using their tools except "just go to our web site". The Info you get on this site is great. The guys are great with helping, giving very usefull answers. One site I'm glad to have joined.Havent had a car yet that needed reflashing but kinda can't wait for the first one to see how it goes.
        I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

That sounds excellent!!! The only one that will give you problems is Chrysler. they limit EVERYTHING you can program with the Passthru(PTP) except PCM and sometimes TCM. If the car is new, you can program most things, older cars which I deal with, I can program only PCM and most TCM's. Keys for these cars, u need a completely different machine. You can mess with the SKIM from older chrysler's and program them when u switch PCM's, but newer cars, u need PIN's and diff machine. Ford and Chevy, the Passthru can do anything ur heart desires....Of course u have to pay to access their files and program, few days, to yearly. Phewww!!!

Comment

• Hollis!@
            • Mar 2015

Ok New to the Snap-on programming but worked at gm and Ford both and got along fine.

So my question is will say a dedicated Dell laptop 2G and nothing else on it b ok. With windows 7. Is that enough for what I need?

Comment

• badcoupe
              • Jan 2011

Hollis that should be plenty. Chavez, interested to know how you dump crash data, Have some ideas but never found much about it.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

This is the thing with programming. It's always a good idea to have 2 or 3 laptops to work with. I have 4. All running 32bit versions. Windows xp, 7 and 8. I have never had any problems. I don't surf the internet with any of those unless I have to, bc I don't have anti-virus software installed. It's a lot easier for me to do it like that. I have 1 of them installed with everything which is the one I use for browsing and stuff. This is the best set up for me since I can program with any of those. If one fails, the other ones usually work. I would tell you to get at least 2 laptops. 1 running xp, the other 7 or 8 32-bit...IMO.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by badcoupe
                  Hollis that should be plenty. Chavez, interested to know how you dump crash data, Have some ideas but never found much about it.
                  Try a forum called mhhauto. They have so many tips and can help u out a ton. This is where I learned how to change certain things that I only do to customers I've done for years.

Comment

• badcoupe
                    • Jan 2011

thanks! I've got several customers who are rebuilders and this wooulkd be uber handy!

Comment

• dodge90
                      • Oct 2014

well heres an up date, since I first posted I finaly got a car that needs a reflash. Installed toolbox on my lap top thats running wind xp. nope snappy says wont work and need newer, asked them since time went by and told me windows 8 will work. Boss and I bought a lap top this morning and spent 2 hrs with snapy teck only to find out not compatable. ordered a lap top with windows 7 on it like most of you guys said. Will let you know how things play out in a few days. THe only reason I didnt just get the windows 7 was because the first snappy teck told me the softwear is all up grading, second sanppy teck laughed and said no not yet. Make your mind up. LOL

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                        • Apr 2011

That's odd? There was an update to toolbox 3 where it asks for the PPT2 serial number to log u in. That's what i seen that changed. I also had problems communicating with chrysler cars for a few weeks, after the update, it was fixed. I use xp, 7 and 8. Not sure why it wouldn't communicate??? They all communicate with mine. Either way, try the windows 7 one. I would suggest u go and buy a 32bit version. But that's just me. Let us know how it went. I know it's been more than a week.

Comment

• dodge90
                          • Oct 2014

ok finally got a car to program. 2 hr with snappy teck to get the stupid thing to work right. Still wasnt sure what I was doing so another hr with snappy teck and ford teck didn't get me anywhere, buddy of mine who has a ford dealer platform to do his flashing came down, was confused how to use it untill I closed the tool box and seen the ford icon installed on my pc, opened that and whamo, same screen as his so every thing went perfect. I didnt know you had to close the tool box and use the ford icon. Maybe I'm just that stupid or maybe the snappy teck could have explained it to me better. I told him I never did this before and was totaly clueless. Now I have somewhat a clue. Am I thinking right that it will be the same for gm and chry? Just felt better to have someone standing with me while I did one that had a clue. Reason snappy should have more training than "Oh just go online and read it" Maybe add a vido for it to show tecks. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                            • Apr 2011

I see what happen. The toolbox is just a program that comes with PPT2. For programming u need to install the software of each car maker. Ford is FPM. When u purchase the software from Ford, they tell u to download the software. Once you have done that, u connect ur PPT2 and launch FPM program. Put in ur login details and u are done. Guess I read ur question wrong.

Comment

• dodge90
                              • Oct 2014

totaly partly my bad , did another ford this morning and if I wasnt so aggravated and read the whole thhing the last step does say to go to the ford icon on desk top LOL

Comment

• STURNER
                                • Oct 2014

Lots of videos on drewtech website

Comment

Working...