Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

F350 BCM

Customer dropped their 2011 Ford F350 off at the shop with the complaint that the park lamps would not shut off and they had to pull the fuse to keep from killing the battery. After some voltage tests and staring at a schematic, I determined the park light relay is part of the BCM. I have only flashed a hand full of GM modules with my PTP3. Will my PTP3 install software in this BCM? If so, does anyone have any specific tips on the process? Thank you.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Since the BCM is part of the PATs system you'll probably need 2 keys to do the parameter reset after learning the keys. Did you check the inputs from the Steering Column Control Module ?

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
      • Apr 2011

I would also chime in and say that I once programmed a new BCM for a 2009 Ford F150 and had to finish the programming by using my TPMS to re-read and program tire sensors. After I programmed the BCM, the problem with the back lights went away, but the interior dome light would keep flashing, telling me there was a problem. The code for programming not complete was in the system, after checking all the modules, I saw that the TPMS module had a code. After writing the Tire ID's back into the system, everything went back to normal. Just letting you know in case you run into this. And yes, you will need 2 keys since you will be dealing with PATS system. All this can be done with PTPIII, a snap on tool and a TPMS tool. Good luck! (It's easier than it sounds)

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Before I would put in the new BCM , I would see if IDS or even a Maxi Cyst offers Programmable Module Installation option that can pull the VIN # and coding out of the old module and just write it to the new BCM and see if it is possible to avoid buying a subscription entirely. Buying a sub might just to write redundant **** that you could have just retrieved, but who knows maybe it does have a newer calibration file you can flash to it if you buy a subscription.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Thank you for the great info. I am intimidated by all the ways this can fail. I might send this to the dealer, not sure yet. Ill let you know what I decide.

Comment

• Matt
            • Dec 2008

Hey Greasy Bob, what inputs do I need to check in the steering column module?

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

I hear you. The only hard part for me was always programming a module I've never done for the first, BUT you learn from that and the next time you have to do another module for the first time you won't hesitate. Also, ford has a hotline you can call and they help you out step by step in case something goes wrong. I had programming failed, charger didn't supply voltage properly and module no communication NEW FROM DEALER. It's all try and fail. Either you want to program or you don't. If you only choose the ones you know are easy, you will be defeated before starting. Good luck!

Comment

• Matt
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
                I hear you. The only hard part for me was always programming a module I've never done for the first, BUT you learn from that and the next time you have to do another module for the first time you won't hesitate. Also, ford has a hotline you can call and they help you out step by step in case something goes wrong. I had programming failed, charger didn't supply voltage properly and module no communication NEW FROM DEALER. It's all try and fail. Either you want to program or you don't. If you only choose the ones you know are easy, you will be defeated before starting. Good luck!
                I took your advice. I've got the customer getting me the other key. I will post my results. Thank you for the encouragement! Learning new stuff hurts

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I took your advice. I've got the customer getting me the other key. I will post my results. Thank you for the encouragement! Learning new stuff hurts
                  Hopefully the provided second key he gives you is not just a working clone of the key you already have. If it were me I would have the guy drive it to the dealer lot hook my jumper cables up to his battery and take my Maxi Cyst and try the Programmable module installation , and if it doesn't work and the vehicle doesn't start , it's already in their service lot.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Matt
                    Awesome! Make sure you have a Tire Pressure Tool or TPMS Tool in case you run into the problem I did. All the best luck bro! Let us know how it went.

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

In the BCM menu there should be a data list for lighting, just check to make sure that the marker lamps aren't being commanded on. I don't think that there is a data list for the steering column control module.

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

It should look like this
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Matt
                          • Dec 2008

I do have an Autel TPMS tool. Hey Bob, I did verify the light switch was registering in live BCM data before I condemned BCM. While rotating the light switch knob, all positions registered correctly in lighting PIDs. Customer will get me second key today. Thanks again for the support, I will post results as I move ahead with this project.

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

Kinda suck after all the trouble afterwards to find out that the parking light problem persists and its some real stupid thing,like the wrong application bulb found in one of the sockets, or the dual bulb filaments of a bulb detached and bridged the turn signal circuit. Was Remote Start security bypass done right?
                            Last edited by Witsend; 08-09-2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Matt
                              • Dec 2008

Sorry for delay in response for this thread, several cars behind in the shop. I had a chance to read ProDemands removal procedure for the BCM. Procedure states "Prior to replacement of BCM, it is necessary to upload the module configuration info to the appropriate scan tool. This info then must be downloaded into the new BCM after installation." Do I need to upload info from old BCM ?

Comment

Working...