Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

How is everyone doing?

Just thought I would start a discussion about how the current state of affairs is affecting everyone.
    Here in N.B. Canada a state of emergency was declared yesterday.This means that all non-essential businesses must close.Garages are considered essential,so don't have to close.Due to people staying home and not working we don't expect to be busy and some may have to close.Normally I am booked out at least two weeks,but so far have only one appointment booked for next week.
    Layoffs will be announced this afternoon.
    Canada-U.S. border is closed to all non-essential traffic.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Pretty rural around here. Things tend to get buffered, never really bad and never outstanding either. Schools and other gathering places closed or restricted. I have 2 weeks worth of work outside at least and if that runs out I have a Frieghtliner TMR feed truck and a Ponsse log processor that both have major electrical problems. I thought I had a 2016 Duramax engine change lined up but the insurance company denied the claim so I'm not sure whats going to happen with that.
    Last edited by greasybob; 03-20-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Glide
      • Jan 2015

As of this afternoon just me and one other tech in the shop(I had taken a couple vacation days to try to help postpone the inevitable,but got a call this morning to let me know what was going on),only one salesman,one service writer and one parts guy,for the foreseeable future.
      Dealer principle also owns a Ford store,35 layed off today there.
      I have about a weeks work ahead at home and had planned on using up some vacation time.Weekends and evenings,no rest for the wicked.

Comment

• ephratah service center
        • Oct 2007

I have work backed up have an engine change in a Tucson and an electrical issue to chase on a 2000 chevy have a old suburban that has been moth balled for 10 years so I have enough to keep me busy for at least a while. I am in upstate NY rural area and all non essential business is required to shut down we are considered part of infrastructure so are allowed to stay open
        Stay safe every one

Comment

• juniur
          • Oct 2016

we are in south eastern Virginia, a large rural county, but just west and across the river from confirmed cases of the virus. Grocery stores are empty no eggs,toilet paper, or lysol to be found. Business has been greatly reduced by people staying home. Hopefully the weather will allow my farm customers to work so we'll have some work from them.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Things are quiet here in central North Carolina as well. Independent repair shops are still busy. Dealerships are quiet. Commercial accounts, like the DOT and County garage are closed to vendors, so I'm pretty much idle.
            I've been working on ways to help my Reps work from home. I normally travel all week and return home for the weekend. Sleeping in my own bed at night has enabled me to get going on the body work of my 1986 C10 project. Tonight I'll weld in the cab corners. I'll get filler on them by mid week and maybe get it painted right after that. I'm not a body guy, but a local body shop has been coaching me, and checking my work. It sure isn't easy.

The quiet roads have been nice. I went for a rip on the motorcycle on Saturday. Nobody out except for the packed grocery stores.

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

I'm on Long Island, NY. 5 bay shop and bays are full for now, shop is located in the center of town which is pretty quiet. Shop across the street closed down for this so we picked up some of his work as well. Just going to ride this out for as long as there are people coming in. Been doing a lot of picking up and dropping off cars for the older customers so they have less people contact, disinfecting their vehicles when we drop them off and leaving the keys in the mailbox. Different times for sure!

Comment

• Glide
                • Jan 2015

Got this from NASTF today.

Dear NASTF Member,

As businesses are beginning to tackle the realities of COVID-19 related distancing, several companies are offering discounted or free access to their services in order to keep you connected and productive while working remotely. Electude, a cloud-based automotive e-learning system, is offering free access to its platform through August 1st, allowing trainees to continue learning from home.
                I would like additional Information

Similarly, a new “Disaster Support Group” was recently launched on Diagnostic Network in partnership with PTEN magazine. This user group will enable members to receive advice, source parts, post requests, offers of help, expertise, bounties, tips, and more. There is no cost to join at the basic level and take advantage of the Disaster Support Group.
                I would like additional Information

NASTF is committed to ensuring that our members have access to the most up to date training, services and support. If your business is providing COVID-19 support or offers, please share them with us and we will distribute to our membership.

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

Who could have imagined last year what is happening now?
                  I always watch the news,but now I can't get away from it.The statistics from every country,province,state,and city are really hard to comprehend.A lot of what I read,see on tv,and have seen in real life really angers me.But I won't post about that.
                  I hope that everyone is practicing social distancing and following the experts advice.Besides wearing disposable gloves and using disposable seat covers that are changed with every vehicle and before touching shop equipment,no vacuum cleaner or fan is allowed in my shop.I find myself thinking about everything I touch and whether I should change my gloves before I do.
                  It's not just about my safety,it's also about my coworkers and customers.Unlike a lot of jobs we can't work via internet,and the wheels have to keep turning or everything stops.

Comment

• David Green
                    • Oct 2009

Here in the UK we were complying with the social distance rules and using dettol to wipe down steering wheels and gear knobs, in conjunction with using seat covers and disposable gloves.

Then our government came up with the idea of extending everyones mot test by six months. Up to that point we could keep working but now that action has closed all the businesses. When all this is over I see a large back log for everyone to get through.

In meantime, keep safe and at least 6 ft apart.

Comment

• DtechJon
                      • Apr 2015

Im here in Downey Ca, maybe about 15 minutes outside LA and OC. Business is still here and we have not been made to stay home yet. For most of our customers its business as usual except for the empty streets. Its like holiday traffic everyday. Very glad people are still coming in. From what I have heard and read the best things we can do is keep a distance and wash hands repeatedly....which im really starting to enjoy. Im removing grease that has taken a long long time to get out. Take care guys.

Comment

• Mangonel
                        • May 2020

Me and family are staying home even the state started to reopen, we think it's too early to reopen, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad I have a lot of cars in my garage that still needs work to pass my time. I am currently trying out this Foxwell NT624 scan tool https://bestobd2scanners.com/foxwell...ional-scanner/ if it works fine.
                        Last edited by Mangonel; 07-13-2020, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...