Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rrdavid
    • Aug 2019

Hard drive failure

I recently purchased a verdict scan tool but the hard drive went kaput. I was able to copy most of the files and after using the snap on restore tool I am able get it up and running windows. When it comes to installing the shop stream diagnostic suit it gives me an error that it cant find a file it needs. (attached pic)

I contacted support and they said they aren't user serviceable, that it requires an image from the repair center, but that sales of the final software upgrade ended march 31 2019.

I saw a repair guide form that states this would be a level one repair which I have no issue with, however, the screen display works but the touch screen doesn't so I think they'll want to do that as well which would cost more than I bought the tool for.

So my question is any ideas what I might be able to try prior to retiring it as a photo viewer? would another verdict have the same file that might work?

Thank you
    Attached Files
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Do you have a Snap-on Dealer? If so, he might be able to restore it using his Scanbay. If not, what update were you on when it failed?
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• rrdavid
      • Aug 2019

I've never contacted a snap on dealer. If we have one servicing our small town I would be surprised. The until was running an older version 14.4 from what I can tell. I would just upgrade to a new unit but all my cars are 2012 and below and I cant justify that to the wife lol.

Comment

• tech25
        • Oct 2017

In the warning message, it says you may not have a correct service release patch..

did you by any chance try downloading the version detector ( 1 ), and the service release for 14.4?? ( 2 )

also read instructions if that helps.
        Attached Files

Comment

• rrdavid
          • Aug 2019

Update

I did the version detector as instructed and it came up with it being version 16.4 but that's really odd as there are no files on either C:\program files\snap on\ or D:\snap on that list anything related to 16.4. As far as I can tell 14.4 is the last update the device had as indicated by the files on the device and the license.ini file.

Since I last posted I've tried using a file recovery program for deleted files hoping that perhaps the file it needs to complete the installation was just deleted by error. Unfortunately it appears either there was never a file named "Diagnostic_suite_installer.msi" on the device (meaning they do the install over the internet and erase all temp files on completion) or its too corrupted to recover.

I went poking around in the Install logs and install script to see if I could find more info on why its not reinstalling. I noticed that when installing the "main application" it references the same *.exe file as when its calling for doing "patches" to the main application. Both scripts list "Diagnostic_Suite_App_14.4.1_Setup.exe" but the main application log has the file saved as "Diagnostic_Suite_App_Setup.log" whereas the patch log file is saved as "Diagnostic_Suite_App_14.4.1_Setup.log". This makes me scratch my head??

At this point I'm going to run the data recovery software again and make sure I haven't missed any Msi or exe files. If I find no files I'll probably resort to purchasing another scanner on ebay and seeing if I can find it and get both running and sell the spare.

I appreciate the help guys, and I'm sorry for the long delay.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

I wonder if the Version Detector found a License File for 16.4.
            Have you tried downloading 16.4 and installing it?
            Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

Working...