Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cardoctor6455
    • May 2011

Mac tools mdt j2534 box.

Hello has anyone heard of or performed any programming with the Mac Tools MDT 10 j2534 box ? I’m just asking because I Just found out they now have a j2534 tool that is also used for vehicle diagnostics.
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

An android based tablet doesn't work for most OEMs programming(no North American brands),so you would also need a properly set up laptop to work with the j2534 interface.
    Most Mac scan tools have been rebranded OTC/Bosch.I don't have any first hand experience with that particular model.Just some things to be aware of.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
      • Apr 2011

Shouldn't be that difficult. From what I can tell, they probably use some form of windows which allows you to program through the toll by purchasing an OEM subscription and then flashing with the tool. If anything, you can call MAC if you run into problems. The OEM also has a hotline that you can ask questions if you run into a problem. Good Luck!

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
        Shouldn't be that difficult. From what I can tell, they probably use some form of windows which allows you to program through the toll by purchasing an OEM subscription and then flashing with the tool. If anything, you can call MAC if you run into problems. The OEM also has a hotline that you can ask questions if you run into a problem. Good Luck!
        Nope,it states in the description that you need a laptop for programming.How would one run 7 Pro or 10 Pro on a android tablet? Snapon uses windows embedded to make their tablets more usefull.

"•VCI is J-2534 compliant—can be used with separate PC and OEM software for ECU reflashing"

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

I stand Corrected, Glide is Correct. You def need a laptop to do programming.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

You best be careful if you don't plan to keep a current subscription. Mac uses re-badged OTC stuff , and now Bosch bought OTC. I Thought the Higher end Bosch scantools require keeping a current subscription or the software times out and can't be used or just function in a limited generic mode.

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

Now THAT'S a nasty way to behave. Bad enough that SnapOn arbitrarily decides their scanners are at their "end of life" and won't update them past a certain point. Like how now your Vantage Pro is stuck on whatever update you stopped at in April even though the last update was rolled out last fall. (Mine is like 11.4 and will be 'til it dies-I didn't know about 17.4 being done away with at the arrival of 18.2 until too late). But at least you can use them fully in whatever capacity they have except for that Suretrack stuff that isn't actually useful anyway. I still have a first gen Modis that's kind of clunky and the software is on like 7.2 but I don't care because I use it as a scope and such and hardly ever as a scanner anymore.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Witsend
                You best be careful if you don't plan to keep a current subscription. Mac uses re-badged OTC stuff , and now Bosch bought OTC. I Thought the Higher end Bosch scantools require keeping a current subscription or the software times out and can't be used or just function in a limited generic mode.
                The Bosch M-VCI has been discontinued. There are no new updates for the software.

It was the licensing system they used when they switch the software toward the end of its life that was a pain in the back side. If you swaped laptops or tools you had to have the license re-issued. You had to call Bosh diagnostics and have them cancel the old one and then issue the new license.

Originally I had a main laptop and a backup laptop with the software on it. I then switched it to my Programing Laptop because they wanted windows 7 and when I did that with one of the software updates, It wouldnt complete the update and it created a licensing issue... Needless to say when I finally got a call back and was able to connect the laptop to the internet, he had to push the update that wouldn't take and issue a new license on that laptop.

In other words when your laptop breaks, you can't use the tool until you call them and have a new license issued to the new laptop. There only open monday through Friday 8AM-5PM. I never received a call back before 10AM and if you called say around 3PM, I didn't get a call till the next day if I was lucky. Other wise I had to call back in.

I tried to purchase the wireless dongle they were using and they wouldnt sell it to me nor did they know the specific model that came in the kit.

Comment

• cardoctor6455
                  • May 2011

I know the actual scan tool won’t do programming. My question was about the interface that’s supposed to be j2534 compliant. I’ve done programming before with my VCM II so I’m aware about the laptop requirements.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                    • Apr 2011

Since you clearly didn't specify anything in your question, how are we suppose to know what you meant? Mind reading on the internet doesn't exist yet. Maybe one day, CLEARLY

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Since you clearly didn't specify anything in your question, how are we suppose to know what you meant? Mind reading on the internet doesn't exist yet. Maybe one day, CLEARLY
                      Wow, That was a pretty mean spirited reply, Lol , I find It helps when I wear a foil hat , but I need to wrap a d@mn Sombrero in foil to decipher one sentence questions posed in Cave man talk on @utel forum , and you need to wait 10 minutes worth of page refresh time to reply to any posts there Think he has a VCM II for Ford , but he just wants to know if anyone has used the J2534 capable VCI from the new MAc tool from off a Windows laptop with an OE subscription, and had success using it before he decides on a new replacement scan tool that comes with a VCI that is also a J2534 device

Comment

Working...