Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadracer587
    • Mar 2012

100psi vac/pressure transducer

Purchased the 100psi vac/pressure transducer under the impression that I would be able to get a vacuum waveform on intake vacuum to diagnose valve train problems. Spent $338.00 and it is nothing more than a digital vacuum gauge. It simply shows a flat line at the vacuum level and max. is 20 inches of vacuum. Now before anyone gets technical on me, I tried every possible setting that the scope function would allow me to. I tried A/C couple, I tried not using the preselected function for the 100psi vac/pressure and just went to the labscope and tried all voltage, sweep, trigger functions that the tool had. When I called tech. support they were very helpful and told me that I was doing nothing wrong. They said that the transducer was not capable of doing what I wanted. That should be stated in the tool information before someone purchases the tool. It had to be ordered and is not returnable. I now have a $338.00 useless piece of equipment. Other manufacturers that sell these transducers allow you to gather vacuum waveforms. They are slightly more expensive but they do the job. If I could get my money back I would buy the functional tool, but looks like that is not possible.
    No one plans to fail, they simply fail to plan!!!
  • leemack
    • Jul 2010

Well that's handy as i recently purchased the 500psi transducer to do exactly the same thing but in cylider compression tests as well.

I spent over the best part of £200 and now just ordered another compression tester fitting.

I was in 2 minds if to buy the fluke PV350 or the purpose designed snap-on transducers, may have waisted my money now.

Having said that though i'm sure on thsi forum there are waveform examples of people doing what we want with the 100 psi or 500psi transducer so maybe we're confused on what it can do.

I haven't had the time or chance to test mine yet but not being to confident now.

thanks
    lee

Comment

• roadracer587
      • Mar 2012

I did not try the pressure side of the transducer for functionality. I simply bought the Vac/Pressure 100psi transducer to get a vacuum waveform. I do not know how they will work on the pressure side. Tech told me that the pressure sensor was mostly used for measuring fuel pressure and transmission line pressures. I do not know if the pressure and time base that is made available to you would give you a compression waveform. If you get yours and it works for the pressure side please let me know.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

I think that the quality of wave form you hope to get from testing the vacuum in an intake manifold will depend on a few things such as where you place the transducer and the type of construction of the intake manifold. Platic intake manifolds have been known contract and expand which could buffer the signal from the tranducer.

Comment

• roadracer587
          • Mar 2012

The problem is that the transducer will only produce a flat line pattern that is equal to the vacuum that is listed on the left side of the screen. When the vacuum is 20 inHg the line is barely visible as it is going off the top of the screen. The time base that is allowed would not give you a good pattern even if the vacuum scale did not run out in amplitude. The counselor 2 that I have and is over 25 years old does a fantastic job of showing me a vacuum waveform that I can see valvetrain problems as well as timing being off. I expected the newer version to do at least as well. What was truly disappointing was that the snap on tech help line told me that the tool was not capable of doing what I wanted and what I felt they had advertized that it would do.

Comment

• shano
            • Apr 2012

Vac testing

Hello, I'm using the 100 psi vac/ pressure transducer with a vantage pro, I set the scope up AC coupled with a 200 milisecond sweep and 20 In Hg scale and switch filter on, the waveform produced is slightly blocky, but can be used to good effect. Measuring the vacuum directly is useless as the vacuum created by a well tuned engine is at or over the top of the maximum selectable scale though the transducer seems to measure over the 20 In Hg scale. Finding a connection directly onto the manifold seems to be the best bet.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by roadracer587
              Purchased the 100psi vac/pressure transducer under the impression that I would be able to get a vacuum waveform on intake vacuum to diagnose valve train problems. Spent $338.00 and it is nothing more than a digital vacuum gauge. It simply shows a flat line at the vacuum level and max. is 20 inches of vacuum. Now before anyone gets technical on me, I tried every possible setting that the scope function would allow me to. I tried A/C couple, I tried not using the preselected function for the 100psi vac/pressure and just went to the labscope and tried all voltage, sweep, trigger functions that the tool had. When I called tech. support they were very helpful and told me that I was doing nothing wrong. They said that the transducer was not capable of doing what I wanted. That should be stated in the tool information before someone purchases the tool. It had to be ordered and is not returnable. I now have a $338.00 useless piece of equipment. Other manufacturers that sell these transducers allow you to gather vacuum waveforms. They are slightly more expensive but they do the job. If I could get my money back I would buy the functional tool, but looks like that is not possible.
              Probably the only vacuum waveform this transducer MIGHT help you with is a cranking vacuum waveform.
              If you want a running waveform, you will probably need a firstlook
              sensor or a Pico wps500. AESwave.com
              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

Working...