Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fixitman
    • May 2015

Mapped network drive

I've shared the shopstream folder from my Verus wireless, then mapped it as a network drive on my laptop. I can see it and access the files in windows explorer. ShopStream connect sees all my local drives, but does not see this mapped drive. Is there a setting I can adjust in order to access the files on this mapped drive?

I presently have to manually copy the files I want to view to a local drive in order to view them via SSC. I'd rather have all my data files in one place, rather than have duplicates on both machines.
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

What version OS are you running? I ask because Win 7 & 8 have a feature called file/folder junction. It basically sets a pointer to another location to fool the OS into thinking what you are looking for is on a local machine. See this thread for details:

S. Breland

Comment

• fixitman
      • May 2015

sbreland73:
      Thanks for reminding me about junction. I completely forgot about that option. I'd rather have SSC treat the mapped drive as an actual drive, but creating a junction might just work.
      Last edited by Steve6911; 05-21-2015, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by fixitman
        sbreland73:
        Thanks for reminding me about junction. I completely forgot about that option. I'd rather have SSC treat the mapped drive as an actual drive, but creating a junction might just work.
        You're welcome, please post back to let us know if that works or not, for future reference.
        S. Breland

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

I've shared the shopstream folder from my Verus wireless, then mapped it as a network drive on my laptop. I can see it and access the files in windows explorer. ShopStream connect sees all my local drives, but does not see this mapped drive. Is there a setting I can adjust in order to access the files on this mapped drive?

I presently have to manually copy the files I want to view to a local drive in order to view them via SSC. I'd rather have all my data files in one place, rather than have duplicates on both machines.
          You still should save YOUR collected files in another place anyway.
          YOUR saved files cannot be replicated.
          1st rule of computers...READ THE xxx SCREEN-!!!

2nd rule of computers....Back it up.

It's not IF a piece of hardware will fail... it's WHEN it WILL fail.

For everyday use, sure, have it all available in one place. It behooves anyone to back up their data files in a second or even a third location.
          Last edited by Crusty; 05-21-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
            Snap-on D&I
            • Nov 2006

There isn't a setting at this time in SSC to set it to display network drives.
            It is something I plan to look into though as more customers are networking and using cloud based storage.

Comment

• fixitman
              • May 2015

I still haven't tried creating a symbolic link. The scanner has a habit of dropping off the WiFi randomly for no apparent reason. This could potentially cause issues with explorer on the laptop. If a mapped drive drops out, it just shows as disconnected-no big deal

I'm just going to continue copying files over as needed, and hope to see mapped drive access in the future.

BTW: This post was about availability, not survivability of data. I already do routine backups to a dedicated external drive. They then get copied to my 12 TB NAS at home. I've already learned my lesson when my Verus HDD died years ago

Comment

Working...